Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy's 2013-14 programs

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting from the German news thread:

Article (published today, Sept. 3) in English about their new programs: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/03/59401840

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

ok, so the pas de deux is in. although steuer is mentioning, they are not using all the familiar sounds of the nutcracker, i think this is no surprise.

3. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

by the way.
    great, that s/s will go for one final national championships to complete their 10yrs cicle which exactly began in berlin.

hope this 3 will enjoy their final season and get what they deserve.

4. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Is it sure that Rieu composed and not arranged "WHEN WINTER COMES"?

When Winter Comes is an old piece and many play it in their own arrangements..... Plus Rieu is not really a composer..... no time for composing, too many women chasing him.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP8maKtZ-Lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHBeMA0ooI

I am just asking, it's one of my favorite music pieces....

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I can't think of any other 'modern era' skater/team in any discipline who has pushed the boundaries as much and who has shown so much difficulty in their programs as well as making them memorable and original (although there were some bad apples in there as well - last season's SP for example).

I think that the fate is pretty much sealed now and V/T are a lock for Olympic gold barring unexpected disasters. The judges love V/T and S/S get no point advantage for clearly superior programs. To be fair to V/T, they are also a much more consistent team so the odds are definitely in their favour. If S/S do end their career without an olympic gold medal, I will be extremely sad but well that's life. S/S probably would have been much more consistent if they watered down their programs but it's their difficulty that has made them so unique and memorable.

(It's also a huge shame that Steuer has turned out to be such a despicable individual, given the quality of his work. Although it's interesting how he was never able to achieve success with any other team.)

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I hope he meant they are using the pas de deux among other pieces. The triple axel at the end is awesome, but wouldn't it be smarter to do it at the beginning of the second half? The bonus is the same, and you know the judges aren't going to give anything extra in the PCS for that. Although I guess as Ziggy said, that's why they are innovators.

I'm really looking forward to the "risky new lifts" and new step sequence. I have always wanted to see Aljona as a ballerina so I'm glad this dream will finally come true. :)

7. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't say that Volosozhar/Trankov are so much more consistent. They made lots of errors in the GP last season, and only at Worlds they were superb. Also last season they weren't so consistent (remember that freak fall on the death spiral at Worlds in Nice?).

It will be very difficult for Savchenko/Szolkowy to beat them, but IMHO this is mostly due to the fact that Volosozhar/Trankov are Russia's only realistic chance for a figure skating gold medal in Sochi and the Russians are throwing everything they have behind them. That's why the "judges love V/T". Don't get me wrong, I love both teams and think they are both great, but it annoys me that there is a difference in what kind of "politics" they have behind them. The Germans have next to nothing as their Federation is weak.

8. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

The Nutcracker? Really? From this team? Boy, seems oxymoronic to me. But I am happy to be surprised.

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Well, I really was hoping to see Aliona and Robin skate a long program to modern-themed Othello music, but maybe that was too neat and cliche of an idea. They are nothing if not nutcrackers to conventional expectations. ;)

ITA with your points, Eislauffan. Very well expressed. :respec:

10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Unexpected disasters is also a signature for this team, remember the last Olympics? The pressure will be a million times greater, not only an Olympics IN RUSSIA but they are already slated as the OGM favorites. With all things being equal, I think clean programs from both of them will give S/S the edge esp with the 3A throw. It just doesn’t sound like V/T will have anything groundbreaking.

11. Eislauffan

You are absolutely right. The skaters probably meant Andre Rieu arranged it for them. It is definitely Chris de Burgh's piece. :)
    I really love it and think this can be a stunning program.

12. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to see these two programmes. It sounds like they've been saving the classical LP for this Olympic season. The only concern I have is with the intention of putting the throw triple axel in both programmes - have they actually managed to land it clean in competition yet? I don't think they landed the SP attempts they put out on the GP the season before last, and I can't recall the number of times they've tried it in the LP, the only time I can think of is the last worlds where it was not clean. I can't help but worry about an element they don't seem to land in competition, but i guess they too feel that V&T are going into this season as favourites with a likely home crowd boost for the Olympics.

13. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Volosozhar/Trankov didn't compete as a team at the last Olympics. ;)

For the truly innovative programmes that they Savchenko/Szolkowy have provided us throughout their career, I'd really love for them to win gold in Sochi. Probably not going to happen unless something disastrous happens to Volosozhar/Trankov who are also a great team. Shame about their programmes though.

14. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

15. Lis

Lis Active Member

a despicable individual ....Really do you know him ? I have found him a very engaged coach and choreographer who loves his sport. Talking to him is very imspiring. I also must say that I am glad he asked Tanya what kind of music she and Maxim had chosen for their FP so now we have the 2 top pairs with totally different music style which I think is great :)

16. Eislauffan

They have attempted the throw triple Axel only once in the LP- in London this year at Worlds. It wasn't perfect, landed deeply in the knee but I think she landed on one foot (might have touched down with her hand though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2PZaUtsu-A
    In the SP at Worlds 2012 in Nice, she two-footed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNXcGMwl64

She missed it twice in their GP events in fall 2011, then they switched back to the throw triple flip for their third GP and the GP Final. They didn't compete at Europeans 2012. They didn't attempt it at SC 2012, then they missed TEB and the GPF in 2012. They also didn't go for it at NRW Trophy 2012 and Europeans 2013.

So, if I counted then correctly, they attempted it altogether four times in competition: SA 2011 SP, NHK 2011 SP, Worlds 2012 SP, Worlds 2013 LP. She fell twice, she landed it twice but not completely clean. They have landed clean ones in practice that I've seen. To me it looks like they should be able to get out clean ones in competition this season. I'm sure they'll include it really only into the program if they land it consistently in practice. Last season they only tried it at the end because of Aliona's illness last fall that cost them a lot of training time.

17. Eislauffan

Thank you Lis, I completely agree with you. Ingo Steuer might have made mistakes in the past and he is not an easy character, but he is by no means a "despicable individual". I have known him for many years, as a competitor and as a coach. He also does charity work that people don't know about.

IoanaC and (deleted member) like this.
  18. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information Eislauffen - much appreciated. I'm hoping that they start to land it clean in competition. No doubt with the height and length they're getting it would receive +GOE as well.

19. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

^Thank you!!!

20. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

THIS a thousand times.

I really wish they would receive credit for the dfficulty in their transitions as they make everything in the program that much more difficult. And i love the creativity they show in the types of movement employed in their programs. They are some of the all-time greats of the sport.

Cherub, i too am looking forward to seeing Aliona take on ballet in a program.

And thank you so much for all the info, Eislauffan!

21. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side, VolTra might run afoul of of the rule change in ISU communication 1817.:EVILLE:

22. Lis

Lis Active Member

Thank you Eislaufen too for all the info :)
    and I didnt know Ingo did charity work too.

23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Thank you Lis and Eislauffan for your comments about Ingo Steuer. I met him once at a World Pro event and found him to be very engaging, personable and delightful to speak with. Ingo's imaginative and creative collaboration with Aliona and Robin has invigorated the pairs discipline in the boring era of CoP.

24. Lis

Lis Active Member

well I know what pair I like the best!
    At first I was very unsure, but then it became very clear. I thought of which one of them will I miss the most after their final competetion.
    It is Aljona and Robin!
    When they are gone they will be greatly missed since they are very unique in style and have programs you just can't wait till you get to see, what have they done now with their creativity!

25. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

I am a bit shocked by the word "despicable", I would not use it with any person I met. I sometimes have had difficult moments with Ingo Steuer when interviewing him after some not so successful programs by his team and that sometimes made me a bit angry. But I love how authentic he is, he speaks his mind, you get real feelings, no PR speak, sometimes this then can sound quite undiplomatic. But he can also be full of humour and he can be very generous. I love how passionate he is about the sport, I also admire his stubbornness and his sometimes still boyish joy when things go well.
    Some charity work he did recently was helping flood victims in Saxony, by the way.

26. vocal

vocal New Member

Same here. Outstanding programs will be remembered, outstanding elements won't. So I wish Aljona & Robin best of luck for the season.

27. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Agreed. They have pushed themselves, the sport, and the viewer! Love them.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think it might be worth it. I remember seeing a lot of upvoted YouTube comments under their Worlds FS video saying stuff like 'A throw triple axel right at the end, wow!' Even if it will be double-footed, it will still be worth a lot of points and leave a really strong impression.

I am feeling very apprehensive about them doing it in the SP, though. Not sure if the risk is worth it. They must be thinking that the only chance for them to beat V/T is to pull all the stops out. The Pairs events at the Olympics is going to be the most :drama: competition ever.

That is a very good point. Especially, given the Olympics will be in Russia and as we say in Polish 'even the walls support the hosts.'

V/T obviously are a very strong team. I just feel frustrated with the fact that S/S' program difficulty isn't being rewarded. And it's not about S/S per se, it's my big issue with figure skating, in general.

Being an informer for the Stasi and then lying about it is as low as it gets. I can understand that people might have felt scared and pressured into doing it back then. But he had an opportunity to come clean and apologise. He never did.

As for being engaged, he has produced some incredible work with S/S. But he has never achieved success with any other teams and it seems to me that he has a low tolerance for frustration. I remember one of the German teams leaving him amongst a lot of tension with the break-up being anything but amicable. I also remember when Fitze/Rex left him and switched to Monika Scheibe and in their first competition under her wings, they have improved some of the issues that they have been experiencing for years under Steuer. I also remember Steuer making some aggressive public comments (it was at a press conference IIRC) about one of the Knut Schubert's teams and the way they work, which was really uncalled for.

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I love both V/T and S/S and hope one of them wins gold. I'm sad that one of them will not because both teams are excellent skaters. I wish V/T had had benefit of Steuer's chorography, but they didn't. She didn't when she was with Morozov and he was their coach. He has always saved the best for S/S. Since I figure there will be :cheer2: and :wuzrobbed regardless, I just hope both teams skate their absolute best in Sochi. Especially, since one or both will quit afterwards.

30. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I have been a huge fan of Aliona and Robin from the first time I saw them live, which must have been in Mowcow Worlds 2005. They really have been groundbreakers for the new style in pairs, and even with flaws, they are interesting to watch. My heart hopes they will really have a :kickass: season, because this will very likely to be their last competive season. I will sadly miss them when they end their competitive career. She especially is amazing, such a tiny woman with such inner and outer strenght.