Aliona Savchenko/Bruno Massot & Ingo Steuer saga (UPDATED: S/M now in Oberstdorf; Steuer in FL)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 30, 2014.

1. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thank you, Eislauffan!

For the German posters, is there any hope the German fed might pay Ingo? Or is it basically a lost cause? I'd hate to see the drama if they're skating for France and Didier stays pres...

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Look in German skating thread. Ingo has given Germany's ministry of internal affairs an ultimatum. About time too. As I posted in that thread ...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Copied over from the German news thread (posted on June 15):
    Danke for your latest video interview and English translation, Eislauffan!

4. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks! Guess we'll know soon enough! And good for him! It's about time he gets an actual decision!

5. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Article & photo by dpa today on Savchenko/Massot (in German):
    http://www.moz.de/sport/sport/artikel-ansicht/dg/0/1/1290759/

Content similar to what they said in the video interview (posted above). They also confirm that they hope to have a decision by the German and French Federations by the end of June. The German NOC president confirms that he hopes they can find a solution to keep Aliona and Ingo Steuer in Germany. Steuer is quoted saying that he thinks it is realistic to say that they can fight for the gold in Korea in 2018.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

He's so sooo unattractive.... kidding omg :swoon:

7. Minou

Minou Member

Has anyone discussed or approached any Ukrainian oligarchs to sponsor Aliona and Bruno and have them rep Ukraine? (Or, even sponsor the Ukranienne federation...)

As much as I want to see the beautiful MASSOT skate for France, Ukraine needs it more; and one skater would rep his/her home country.

8. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

From the above article:

Azerbaijan, I am guessing? :p

10. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

:D

a) Do you really think a real Ukrainian oligarch would sponsor a team made of grenouille, sports-defector and stasi-snitch?
    b) Do you really think that grenouille, sports-defector and stasi-snitch want a Ukrainian citizenship?

:D

I must say though... Alyona and MASSOT look gooooood together! well matched.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

FYI, a new article was posted in the German news thread:
    Link to the original post and subsequent discussion: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-news-part-2&p=4289580&viewfull=1#post4289580

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Decision time looms for pair Savchenko, Massot: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/07/09/83855050
    Excerpts:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  13. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks, Sylvia!
    FLORIDA!!! I vote for that route, much closer to me ;) September sure is a long time!

14. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

A two-year break from competition seems too long. Two years is a lifetime in skating--so much can happen. Aliona is a huge name in pairs skating, but even her brand would dim a bit over 2 years. Plus it just seems like it would be difficult to maintain intense training without the pressure of having to prepare for competitions, and they would miss out on exposure to other top pairs at competitions.

That said, Shen/Zhao came back successfully after a 2 year break, and so did Gordeeva/Grinkov after a 3 year break, so maybe it is possible, although not optimal.

15. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

It could be an advantage though, because if Aliona as to maintain her competitive shape for only 2 years instead of 3 it might be easier for her body to cope with injuries and difficulties.

16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It can be advantage that she doesn't have to be it top competitive shape for those two years, but at the same time Aliona will have to be putting in much more effort than Shen/Zhao and Gordeeva/Grinkov, because S/Z and G/G did not change partners. Coming back with the same partner after not competing for 2 years (but still skating together in shows during that time) is completely different than coming back after not competing for two years and trying to learn all those hard elements together (different timing on throws, twist, possibly even jumps, different spins etc).

17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Those were established partnerships with a reputation to match. Savchenko/Massot are still an unproven pair together. They need more than a season and a half if they want to establish themselves in time for the 2018 Olympics.

18. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The time issue is what it is and they'll just have to deal with it. Whether or not they are competitive as a team depends on them. My money is on Savchenko and Steuer's drive and determination to be Olympic champions. They'll do whatever they have to do.

19. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

While I agree with Savchenko and Steuer's drive and determination, the body has some limitations. Although Aliona is very fit, she hopes she will be doing elements that are pushing the sport boundaries (3A or quad throw jump) and that needs much more practice to get that than if they went for the common throw jumps. If she gets injured, no drive and determination will help her.

20. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I agree . . . they will need to establish/build their reputation if they want a serious shot at OGM, and not only will they face Volosozhar/Trankov and Stolbova/Klimov, I think it is entirely possible that Peng/Zhang will be serious contenders by that point as well and, who knows, possibly one of the newer Russian teams too.

21. rfisher

Well, she has time to get the needed practice. And, ultimately, she may want to push the boundaries, but I'm thinking she wants that Gold medal more. If she needs to back away from the quad, she will. Remember it was Robin who cost them higher medals, not Aliona. And, I think it's ridiculous to think the judges will have forgotten her in a year. They didn't forget Volosozhar or Trankov when they had to miss the GP series four years ago. :lol: S/M have time to gel together and I'm looking forward to see what they can do.

I never underestimate an athlete with determination to win. Not to compete, but to win.

22. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Their main problem will be for the FFSG to issue a release for Massot. Believe me, they won't.

23. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

And that's why I feel like Savchenko is sacrificing her own career for Steuer's future funding. She could be giving up an additional year of competing with Massot which IMO they really need, just to ensure that Steuer is eligible for compensation from the German fed. I imagine that if S/M skate for France, Steuer will be paid by France, so it's not so much about his funding for his work with this pair, but for his future career in Germany after Savchenko retires and his desire to live near his family in Chemnitz. And now I'm going into the territory of wild speculation, but considering how their personal relationship had been over prior to Sochi and has now been rekindled, it definitely makes me wonder if he's using her. I just hope whatever she decides is what's best for her.

24. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

If anyone is getting played here, I highly doubt it's Savchenko. They've implied that whether the German fed pays Ingo will influence who they represent, but I doubt it will. I think they're using that to get the German fed to change their policies to ensure his future. That decision will be made this month, but they won't announce who they'll rep until Sept (per the recent articles). There are a lot of more important factors playing into this than that (release, citizenship, where to train, etc) The worst case scenario would be that France and Germany both refuse to release... (She said much earlier that Germany would release her, but who knows!)

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It's not time she should be worried about. It is the wear and tear of her body. The impact of those extra hard elements on her body. If she wanted another gold at worlds, I would think that it is doable because she could have several opportunities (if it doesn't happen one year, she can try the following year). But the Olympics will be only one chance. Will she work so hard on those hard elements that she will injure herself, or will she be lucky with the timing?

26. rfisher

I don't think she's interested in more World gold medals. I think she's very focused on what she wants. Whether she can achieve it or not, only time will tell. I know I'll be pulling for her until 2018. :cheer2: Go Aliona, Go.

27. Minou

Minou Member

I must say I think the same thing.

28. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

She already backed up that decision, as she said in various interviews, Germany became her home, too. She doesn´t want to leave either. That being said, it was her idea to invoke fans via facebook for signing up that petition for Ingo.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

It won't matter if France funds Steuer if the French government has issues with her living in Germany, not France, when it comes to granting her citizenship. She already speaks at least three, if not four, languages, so learning French shouldn't be an obstacle, but residency might.

30. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Aliona and Robyn together are the brand. She will have to create a new one with her partner, which may not happen easily or quickly.

As someone pointed out, these skaters did not change partners.