Aliona Savchenko/Bruno Massot & Ingo Steuer saga (UPDATED: S/M now in Oberstdorf; Steuer in FL)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

BILD (German article) was the first to confirm the new partnership of Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massot of France: http://www.bild.de/sport/winterspor...ll-fuer-frankreich-starten-35272096.bild.html
    ETA Google translation of Steuer's statement: "Because of a change of both the nation, they are always one years locked. We will decide at our leisure the country for which they compete then."

Other German articles:
    http://www.t-online.de/sport/winter...enko-bekommt-franzosen-als-neuen-partner.html

http://www.mdr.de/sport/andere_sportarten/savchenko-massot100.html

French article in L'Equipe:
    http://www.lematin.ch/sports/depech...eut-poursuivre-francais-massot/story/20429914

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. Dee2e

Dee2e Well-Known Member

I didn't see that coming.

3. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

And will they be skating for Germany or France?

Edited to add that the Ice Network article says they will decide later which country to represent.

5. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

France since the French Federation is more likely to pay Steuer.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Icenetwork translated the quotes from German in the BILD article linked in post #1.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

At first I thought Savchenko was heading towards Suguri zone but Massot is a young and quite solid promising partner. I think that Olympic gold is almost completely unlikely (sorry Savchenko, you deserve it more than any other skater in the world for how much your skating has pushed the boundaries but it just wasn't meant to be) but they could potentially have a successful competitive career.

Considering how huge Popova/Massot's triple twist was, consider how much smaller Savchenko is, they might be capable of a quad. :D

Exciting times!

8. zigzig

zigzig Active Member

Wow - she must really be the bionic woman. Hoping she can bring Massot up to her level - they'll make a very attractive couple on the ice. Excited to see their debut.

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Aliona sticking around makes my day :encore:. I agree Olympic gold in 2018 might be a tall order, but if they could somehow be medal contenders -and win another OM, I could see her approaching Rodnina levels of :respec: in pairs.

10. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Let's all hope he can survive her.
    If he skates around Aliona like he skated during this worlds, he won't last long :p

11. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:mad:

She went with THAT slippery little salamandar??!???

:mad:?@&$^@@@??!!!!!

12. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

I guess she wanted a chance to shine :D
    No one would look at her if you were around.

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  13. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

I wish her all the luck in the world! <3

14. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

15. care bear

care bear Active Member

16. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Could the German Fed refuse to release her or has they given the ok already?

17. PRlady

PRlady still standing

I'm pretty happy I get more of the fabulous Aliona, she could skate with Mitt Romney and I'd accept that. ;)

18. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Rule number 1 .... never trust "Bild Zeitung" its a tabloid and know for making up what they want.
    The more reliable papers state that they haven't decided yet for which country the want to compete and somehow I have my doubts that she will be able to get a french passport in a little over 3 years. And if the German Fed was the US or Russia they wouldn't release her until after the next Olympic Games :EVILLE:

I am also a little bit shocked how easily she drops Robin and leaves his future / plans in limbo just to try and fail again at getting that Olympic Gold Medall. Jap I do not believe she will be getting that in Korea :p

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't think they can refuse to release Savchenko if she's a French citizen, and I can definitely see her citizenship being expedited - it took Vanessa James about two years to get hers.

20. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I don't think she's dropping Robin. I was under the impression he was desiring to retire, in which case this is about her continuing with him not being an option.

21. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

The article in the "Sächsische Zeitung" which comes from German news agency dpa is a bit less dramatic than "Bild " who probably used the dpa piece to make their own story. It does however also mention that she wants ro continue, that the Art On Ice contracts are not binding and also mentions in a subtle way that Ingo and Aljona are also an off-ice couple (which is no secret but usually not mentioned in the German press). The article also says that Ingo has given "them" four weeks to decide. Not sure "them" means Aljona and Bruno or Aljona and Robin here: Maybe they kind of want Robin to continue. Which is pretty wild considering he is 34.
    The article also states that Ingo definitely wants to work with an international team (whose fees he needs as the German state will never pay him) and assistants, building a real skate school.

22. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Makes sense to move to France if he's also going to be coaching Amodio as was suggested last week.

23. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

24. Nours

Nours Active Member

Marina Anissina got it quite quickly though not quickly enough to go to Lillehammer. But I'm pretty sure she had it by 1995 Euros. As Morel & Peizerat splitted just before 1993 Euros (they went to French Nationals 1993 & Lalique Trophy 1992 ; if somebody have a footage from the latter FD event, please share it somewhere :cheer: this was a nice competition) it's around two years at most.

25. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Well, There where whispers about this,

I DID kinda have the feeling that went out the window with his idiotic fall in the FS here :lol:

Anyways, Happy for both, And yes, Attractive couple,

I just hope Bruno understands that this is a pairing made to have a go at the Olympic 2018 title,

And nothing further.

26. taz'smum

taz'smum Active Member

It is now much harder to get a French passport.
    Skaters no longer get any priority, as was the case for Vanessa James and Marina Anissina. The French Fed no longer has connections with the ministry, so the skaters have to go through the normal channels.

You need to be resident in France for at least 5 years, speak A2 level French and the killer, have sufficient resources in your own right.
    The paperwork required is excessive, and must all be translated into French by an ministry approved translator, which doesn't come cheap.
    Further, the application will be rejected for the slightest irregularity.

27. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Then it would be easier for him to switch, isn't it 2 years residency needed in Germany? I really think it is easier for him as he not previously changed nationality while she already did. I would understand the French if they said no to that. Bruno also could keep his French passport as Germany allows dual citizenship within the EU.

But I am still not convinced that they really go that far. Aljona might realize that there will be no olympic gold possible.

28. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

I´m also happy to get as much as Savchenko as possible, while she wants to skate (although another four years, trying for another Oly gold chance, seems too much even for her), but I´ll always miss Szolkowy (and his amazing, in all colours, pants :swoon: ) whoever she skates with.

29. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Bruno Massot posted on his facebook that he took a while to consider which way to go but that it was such a great opportunity, so he decided to go for it. It is a very nice and lengthy message.

Meanwhile "Sueddeutsch Zeitung" writes that Robin is angry and has cancelled three galas (not saying which ones).

30. la.louise

la.louise New Member

More news: http://www.fr-online.de/sport/savchenko-will-fuer-frankreich-laufen---heftiger-krach,1472784,26696626,view,asTicker.html

- There has been some drama behind the scenes, Robin and Aliona were invited to do some shows in Japan, but Robin declined. He wants to go home with his girlfriend. Aliona doesn&#8217;t understand Robin. They could earn 45000 dollar in 3 days. But Robin has enough of all the backstage drama.

-Aliona and Ingo wanted to announce the new partnership at the end of April (I guess after the Imagine on ice show, Aliona and Robin&#8217;s own show in Chemnitz ). But Robin&#8217;s girlfriend apparently told Daria Popova the news and Aliona and Ingo now blame Robin for not keeping his mouth shut. Robin doesn&#8217;t agree, but he doesn&#8217;t want to say anything, because that can only make things worse.

- Aliona has other options, if things with Massot won&#8217;t work out. She has offers from different russian men.

- Steuer wants to start an international team in Chemnitz, which might include Florent Amodio.

I really hope Aliona and Robin can work things out:(

alilou and (deleted member) like this.