alilou's Adventures in Wonderland - all over the map.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by alilou, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

LOVE all the photos. Amazing.

But (((((kookaburra)))))
  2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Bali is amazing.
    Wow!

Bless the people for their willingness to share their lives/culture.
    Thanks, to you and Don, for recording your experiences; so that those of us who will likely never be able to go there, experience it through your eyes.
  3. SandraMGfan

SandraMGfan Active Member

Alison the party crasher? ;)
  4. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Couldn't believe there was a kookaburra in a cage! It's funny, we're quite used to seeing budgies and cockatoos caged, but somehow a kookaburra in a cage is just so wrong.

I'm glad you're enjoying Bali! We are very much. It's a unique and wonderful place - much more adventures to come. Snorkling trips, elephant riding, and temple ceremonies all to come.

Party crashers? Us? Mais non! WE were invited :D
  5. alilou

I have a new blog post done :cheer:
    This time it's about monsters, a temple ceremony, snorkelling, a cremation ceremony, riding an elephant and some other stuff I can't remember right now :)

Use the link in my sig line.

If that won't open for you use http://alisonarmstrong.blogspot.com

As always click on the pics to make them bigger.

So enjoying WTT - thank you ISU for live streaming!!!!! Kostner's and Suzuki's SP's, Dai's SP and LP, T&T's SP, Jeremy's SP :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

I think there's more I should add to that list but I'm tired and my head hurts trying to remember. Also the internet crapped out for a few minutes so I missed D&W's FD and from what I've heard I'll probably be swooning over that too - off to watch it now. And Dai's LP again.
  6. skatesindreams

More fantastic happenings and pictures.
    How fabulous and beautiful it seems.
    A dream come to life!

Thanks, again.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  7. alilou

My pleasure! It's so much fun.

And here's the next installment:
    climbing a volcano in the dark :eek:
    another temple ceremony :swoon:
    another snorkelling trip :biggrinbo
    and more :)

If the link in my sig line won't open for you try http://alisonarmstrong.blogspot.com
  8. skatesindreams

Wow!

What a "reward" at the end of that long overnight trek.
    Thanks for allowing me to share another culture with you; and experience so much through your wonderful narrative and photos.
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Alilou and your pics are gorgeous as usual. :respec:
  10. alilou

Hey thanks skates and Buzz. Bali really was a wonderful experience. I know people who were there 20 and 30 yrs ago when it was still largely "unspoilt", but what's good is that tourism has brought prosperity, and at the same time the Balinese have held fast to their culture and way of life and spirituality. The Balinese have more or less sacrificed the southern peninsula where all the best beaches are (and all the drunken Aussies) in order to keep the rest of the island for themselves where you can still find the real Bali. Further north Ubud (where we stayed) is a tourist mecca for sure, but at least the emphasis there is on culture and the arts and yoga (rather than the drunken beach culture) and, as I said has brought prosperity to the people.
  11. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Interesting reading your blog here in Sedona Arizona, Alilou. Red canyon country, we did a short walk at twilight today after arriving and plan a good long hike for tomorrow. . .

I read about your climb to see the sunset after returning from a time at the hot tub and pool with an Asahi beer at hand. The moon is full, we got lucky.

The world is full of so many beautiful places and experiences, isn't it?
  12. alilou

Sounds like you're having a seriously fabulous time Japanfan. Hot tubs and full moons - how wonderful. Just that little bit gave me the feel of your experience. And hiking in that part of the world. Sedona is on my wish list - has been for a long time. From what I've heard/seen in pictures definitely one of the world's beautiful places.
  13. alilou

Finally have a new blog post done. Yay!

We're in Australia :biggrinbo - first in Canberra with family, then near Coffs Harbour with more family, and now near Mullumbimby staying with a friend. The weather has mostly been our friend, but since it's fall here now it's much colder than Bali :cold:

As usual, use the link in my sig line. If that won't open use http://alisonarmstrong.blogspot.com

Those of you with a slow internet connection will no doubt be pleased to hear I learned a lot about uploading photos while in Canberra and the photos in the blog are much smaller so should open a lot quicker now.
  14. Japanfan

Alilou, send me a PM when you're back in Van so we can arrange a skating/dinner evening.
  15. skatesindreams

Thanks so much for sharing your family/hometown with us.
    Those pictures of flora and fauna are spectacular!
  16. alilou

Yes, as soon as I get back. We can have a big Vancouver Really-not-at-Worlds get together :cheer2:
    I will even skate!

Thanks again skatesindreams. I love that you always comment on the latest blog :cheer:
    Even having grown up in Australia I still find the birds, animals, plants and landscape here amazing. It's still a thrill to see a platypus in the wild. It would be to see a koala too, especially since they're becoming quite rare. They have no natural predators, but loss of habitat is a problem. They're so specialized. There's over 300 varieties of eucalyptus trees in Australia, and the koala eats the leaves of only four of them :eek:

This is my last night in Oz. Tomorrow we fly from Sydney to Hong Kong, and the next day we fly to Vancouver. Home again to my other home town for the whole summer :)
  17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good journey Alilou! :cheer2: Thanks once again for sharing.
  18. skatesindreams

Safe travels!
    Awaiting your "adventures" in Vancouver.
  19. alilou

Back in Vancouver and seriously jet-lagged after a 12 hour flight from Hong Kong. Lacking sleep but sure catching up on movies - My Week With Marilyn, Game Change, Bridesmaids, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and at least 2 more but can't remember. Too tired. Hope I sleep tonight. It's ccccccccold here :cold: but good to be "home" (where ever that is these days) :)
  20. alilou

Finally the last blog post about our time in Australia is ready. It took so long because first I created a whole NEW BLOG :cheer2:

Was disenchanted with the old site. Am now at wordpress. Much better :)

Have hours and days of work ahead of me re-sizing all the photos on the earlier posts. Oh joy. But still really happy with the change.
    KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  21. skatesindreams

I like the new format, also.
    Thanks, yet again, for sharing people and places I never would have seen without you; and reminding me of the importance of every experience we have.

Relax, and enjoy your summer in Vancouver!
  22. Japanfan

I appreciated your thoughts on living and dying as I have similar ones myself, and often. How very strange that a man died on your flight home.
  23. alilou

Thanks guys. Yes that flight home was indeed memorable. It has changed me, in a subtle way. I keep remembering to appreciate now. Life's so fleeting.

All in all a very good trip. And already planning the next one.

Japanfan see you on the 24 :cheer2: Are you going to actually skate too?
  24. Japanfan

You bet. I learned to skate at about 5 years old and even took figure skating for a bit (no sign of natural talent). I got myself a pair of skates a few years ago and wanted to start it up again, but forgot how to stop. Overedge will show me, so I should be good to go. :)
  25. alilou

A new blog post is ready. This time it's some musings from Mr alilou about travel, trust, and ageing. And some photos from me of the people of Bali.

We are having a good time being back in Vancouver taking care of business, catching up with friends, and preparing for the next leg of our journey. It's all good.

See you Sunday Japanfan - with skates on :cheer2:
  26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Alliou. :)
  27. skatesindreams

Good to hear that you are enjoying your time at "home" in Vancouver.

Thank you for the additional photos from Bali.
    The one of the young man is spectacular.
  28. alilou

Did you mean the one with the rose behind his head? Thank you. It was impossible for me to crop that rose, yet my sister (who's a professional photographer) finds it distracting. I love it as is.
    Also the one of the two young men together. Also love the one of the 4 girls eating ice-cream and the one..........etc :)
  29. skatesindreams

That's the one.
    The rose didn't distract me at all. :respec:
  30. alilou

Well I have finally gotten a new blog post done - about the stuff we need to take care of while we're here in Vancouver (hasn't it been said that both God, and the Devil, is in the details?), a little about our next trip, becoming nomads even more, and a day out at Granville Island (a little bit of "travelling" in Vancouver for those of you who don't live here).

Thanks to kwanfan1818, who recorded it all for me, I am slowly making my way through watching Worlds. So enjoying it. It's wonderful to be watching what I could only read about at the time.
  31. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks again Alilou! :cheer2:
  32. skatesindreams

Your photos are great!
  33. alilou

Thank you. That was a fun day. My granddaughter is 12 so getting to an age where we can really have fun together and she loved having a "real" camera (my old one) to take pictures with. And I loved having my new camera though it's still a big learning curve.
  34. alilou

Yay! I finally got a new blog post done. It's been quite a while, but then we're not travelling at the moment so not so much exciting stuff to write about. However........... there's been some changes in our situation making us even more nomadic (when we leave Vancouver in Sept we won't be back, except briefly, for 2 years!) so some details about that.

And more "travelling" in our home town for all you non-Vancouverites - we went to the Folk Festival :cheer: one of Vancouver's major summer attractions - lots of pics of that, that I hope tell something of the story of what a fabulous event it is.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  35. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks again Alliou and good luck in our travels! :cheer2:
  36. skatesindreams

Whatever happens, alliou, you have the skill and resources to deal with the challenges ahead.
    "Home" will always be with you, wherever you are - and that's a wonderful thing!
  37. alilou

You're so right skatesindreams - "home" is where we are, and we're more excited than anything else. It was just a shock when we first found out about the 30 day thing.
    We're currently house sitting for friends for 3 weeks in a lovely big house with a beautiful garden. Home is pretty sweet right now.

And we've booked all our hotels for our 5 week stay in India coming up in November so lots of "homes" in the future awaiting us. And friends have offered us their casita in Mexico for next April/May. Homes all over the place!

Thanks Buzz :)
  38. alilou

A new blog post is ready :cheer2:

It's been such a long time since the last one that this thread had fallen off into the black hole of dead threads - page 10 or 11 I think. Took me a while to find it :)

Spent the summer in Vancouver getting all our ducks in a row. Trouble is they kept waddling off in all directions. Finally got them all rounded up. Good thing too - we start travelling again in 6 days :cheer:

Hope all you northern hemisphere peeps had a fabulous summer (it was slow to get here in Vancouver but July/Aug/Sept have been beautiful).

Hope the winter for all you southern hemisphere peeps was not too bad (Aussie Willy did it rain much in Melbourne :rofl:)

New post is mostly about the black hole of photoshop. Fun.
  39. skatesindreams

A new blog post from you is always a treat!
    I love your newly found "Photo Art".
  40. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good journey Alliou!!!! And as always please be careful.