alilou's Adventures in Wonderland - all over the map.

skatesindreams

A thought:

Just because you aren't living like an ascetic doesn't mean that you aren't learning and growing.
Allow yourself to enjoy the "luxuries" which are yours to experience.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Oh I'm learning and growing alright, and understand clearly how much this nomadic lifestyle has to do with that. It pushes us both. Re the life of an ascetic - I was just unconsciously holding onto an old 'should'. I can tell you I'm very glad to have finally let go of it. :cheer:
I am enjoying the many luxuries life sends my way. I am constantly amazed by how blessed I am. I don't know how I got to be so lucky.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Even though all we’ve found to eat so far has been American strip-mall food not quite on a par with Denny’s, an American family restaurant chain with nothing of the contemporary finesse of White Spot

:lol:

I'm glad you found great conveyor belt sushi. A friend who just came back from Tokyo told me it was possible :)

I hope you're having a good beginning of your stay in ACT.

sk8pics

Thanks sk8pics. When I wrote and published that post it felt a bit like opening a vein and dipping my pen in the blood, but it was the post that wanted to be written so there was no choice really.
Looking forward to your emails.
ali, I finally had a chance to dig out some emails that your blog post had reminded me of. I sent quite a few. :) In the first one you should get, I did write you a little bit.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Wow! Never knew that. Better go digging out some old episodes :)
Maybe really would, but we have limited internet atm.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
There's a new blog post up! Finally! It feels like ages, but I've been busy travelling :D and participating in many family Christmas gatherings in my Aussie hometown. And photographing kangaroos and cockatoos and galahs and echidnas. I love Australian wildlife, it never gets old.

I've started an Instagram account and have been putting a few pics there.
http://instagram.com/alisonanddon/

Also I've been putting some up on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/alison.armstrong.923

But the blog post is about Samoa! We loved Samoa. It's not one of the big tourist destinations of all the South Pacific islands so still has an authentic feel to it.

http://alisonanddon.com/2015/01/05/the-dazzling-colours-of-samoa/

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks skatesindreams. That church is a beautiful building. We actually went to a service at a different church as the church choirs of Samoa are quite famous and we wanted to get to see one of them. Will write about it in a future post.
Aren't rambutans yummy?! :swoon:

skatesindreams

. We actually went to a service at a different church as the church choirs of Samoa are quite famous and we wanted to get to see one of them. Will write about it in a future post.

I've spent much of my life as a member of several choirs.
I'll look forward to your impressions.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
It was wild! Truly wild. A 3 hr service unlike anything we could possibly have expected. Wonderful choir. Great energy. Total fun!

sk8pics

Can't wait to read the next installment! That church was beautiful, but whenever I see one like that, I always think, but the people are the church.... (The one I go to was designed to be incomplete without the people!) Still it is pretty!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Can't wait to read the next installment! That church was beautiful, but whenever I see one like that, I always think, but the people are the church.... (The one I go to was designed to be incomplete without the people!) Still it is pretty!
Yes it's pretty but I too question that kind of expense on a building in a poor country when something a little less ostentatious could be just as functional as a place for the people to gather. And with the money left over create a foundation for students or something. The church you go to sounds great - incomplete without the people. I agree - the people are the church!

skatesindreams

I agree - the people are the church!
That's a modern/relatively recent concept.
When the islands were being Christianized, the thought was that one should be awed by majesty, power, and "theatre" of God/Church, in the largest sense of the term

sk8pics

@skatesindreams, Yes, I know, but I still think that when I see churches like this. Of course it's not really fair. And this concept of the people being the church is indeed relatively new, and a lot of people still don't think that way.

agalisgv

That's a modern/relatively recent concept.
Actually it's quite an ancient concept. The word used for church in the NT and early Christian literature is ekklesia, which literally means 'called out' (referring to the assembly/convocation of believers). It doesn't refer to a building at all, but rather the people who come together, united for a common purpose.

So the notion of the church as people is the original concept from the earliest Christian traditions :)

When the islands were being Christianized, the thought was that one should be awed by majesty, power, and "theatre" of God/Church, in the largest sense of the term
Hmm, I would say the intent was more to create an alternative worldview/landscape where sacred space was reimagined in opposition to common space; where the outside world was shut out, and the spiritual world took center stage and created new realities. In order to do this, the scope and intricacy of ecclesial architecture had to be on a large and grand scale.

Since churches effectively function as public spaces for generations, I don't think the expense is necessarily wasted (anymore than beautiful libraries, museums, concert halls, etc, are wasted resources).

To each their own, though

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Interesting discussion on churches. Samoa is full of churches. It's a very Christian, and very religious country with many denominations represented. The Catholic church just happens to be the biggest, newest, and most ostentatious. I enjoy it as a building, and certainly understand the feeling of spirit that can overcome one when entering such a space. I must admit I don't often feel it in Catholic churches, but have frequently in Buddhist temples, and in Sagrada Familia in Barcelona which is one of the most beautiful and sacred spaces I've ever been in. On the other hand I have long questioned the wealth of the church (not just the Catholic church, but most religions I think) vs the wealth of the people. These grand buildings are places to store grand material wealth (I'm thinking particularly of the all gold interior of the cathedral in Quito, Ecuador) and to convince the people that they'll all be okay if they do what they're told. The grand buildings help to overawe them.

The church we attended in Samoa was a 3 hour riotous session of singing and praying and dancing and joy held in the local gymnasium and filled to the rafters with 1000 people. This church truly was the people.

skatesindreams

If you need to have a summer and winter "home"; at least you have investigated enough options to realize what/where you prefer to be.
When the places best for you present themselves, you will know where they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information