Alexe Gilles to train with Sato & Dungjen in Detroit

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by chipso1, Mar 30, 2011.

1. just wondering

just wondering Member

^ I totally missed this! Where did he go?

2. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Was that actually Tom's fault, though, or just a variety of bad circumstances coming to a head?

[But he's already left, so it doesn't matter.]

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I believe there hasn't been an official announcement yet.

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I don't think the o.p. was referring to Farris' result, but rather the fact that Z. seems to have strongly pressured him to skate injured (or ill - forget which one). Watch the kiss & cry action action after his free skate. :yikes:

5. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

When Tom asked if it was worth it in the kiss'n'cry, it sure sounded like it wasn't Joshua's first choice to skate. :(

Regardless I hope the move works and will root for him to have a much better Nats experience next year.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Great for Alexe, Yuka and Jason will whip her into shape which is something I definitely think they did with Alissa, she was very well trained this year to go the distance with her jumps and programs, she showed muscle strength we had never before seen. My only question is whether or not it has yet been decided (but obviously not announced) if Alissa is planning on skating next year, and if that matters. I would imagine that there are many skaters (including some we haven't even heard about) wanting to switch to this Sato/Dungjen ship, but am I wrong to wonder how many they can take?

7. wildfire

wildfire New Member

I wish Alexe all the best. I think there are times when a skater needs a fresh perspective, and I'm hoping this is just the right mix for her. I'm not on the bash TZ bandwagon. He's helped many young skaters beleive that they can achieve more than most and they often do. He trains his skaters thoroughly and believes in them. He certainly has his faults, as do all coaches, but it's hard not to respect the results he helps his students produce.

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Injured and fresh out of the ER.

Ok, that makes more sense. I hope the move works for him and that he does well at Nats next year!

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Great. No more weird Latin stuff for her.

Yuka can work on her basics but I doubt she can help her gain a personality (or better spins...).

10. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Flatt will be living in California next year for school, so no need to "free" her; she would hardly be able to train there and in Colorado concurrently. ;)

I agree with manleywoman, Agnes just moved to Tom recently. I don't think she'll be going anywhere, especially considering the pretty good results she has had this season.

:drama: REX!!! No dissing Cyndi Lauper and "Hatful of Stars." :wuzrobbed

11. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Wonderful news. She has a lot of potential, imo, and I'd like to see what someone else, *esp* Yuka & Jason, can bring out in her.

-Bridget

12. Milan

Milan Member

I LOVED her latin program... at least compared to everything else she's done (but she was also a much better skater/jumper that year)

13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Maybe this is good all the way around -

Flatt to CA [to whomever]; Gilles to MI [Sato/Dungjen]; Zawadzki stays and has Tom Zzzzz more to herself, at least on the ladies side?

14. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I'd rather see AgnesZ go somewhere else. She has way more potential than Gilles, IMO. Imagine AZ with a coach that will give her a competitive edge.

I can't remember much of Gilles' skating the last few years except her many falls and that awful USO-ish costume.

15. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I don't know. I think Tom helped Agnes become the competitor she is now and that he can still take her farther. I don't think changing coaches would make a really big difference for her at this time.

Now, at this time next year, I may have a very different response. But I think she's had a good enough first senior season to know she's in a good place for now.

16. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Actually, I knew Alexe was in trouble after watching her LP at some point this season-that step sequence was atrocious.

I have a question: is the Gilles family made of money or something? I often see remarks about their wealth.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Congratulations to Gilles. I hope Sato and Dungjen help her find confidence. She's a fine skater.

18. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about their finances or what they do for a living, but I think it mostly comes from the fact that with the exception of this past season they've had 3 skaters (and 2 dancers) competing at an elite level for a while. Regardless of how they make it work (sacrificing elsewhere, scholarships, etc), they seem to be fairly well off.

19. reese

reese Well-Known Member

They have a lot of inherited wealth, as I understand it.

20. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

It's worth a try. I wish Ashley Wagner would go to. She needs a new coach bad.:(

21. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

The Father is a Doctor.....

22. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

That by itself doesn't equal affording three elite skaters.

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I don't know what Ashley's deal has been the last few years. She's had a lot of issues. I think a year off could do a world of good for her, but I don't know all the circumstances and it's really her choice.

And I'm not sure that Wagner/Czisny should be coached together.

24. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

But it doesn't hurt. ;)

25. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Alexe will be skating at Skaters Care:A benefit for Japan Tsunami relief this Sunday April 3 in Ontario, CA. Come to the event and let her know that you support her move!

26. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

hopefully she will have more than a few double jumps...

27. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

As its a benefit for tsunami victims who cares?

28. Milan

Milan Member

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

normally I would agree, but this is an exhibition skate for a good cause so it really doesn't matter. Participation is good enough.

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Compared to his time under Tom, Jeremy has not done competitively as well under Sato as he did under
    Tom, so who knows how this will turn out. Maybe, coaching changes are sometimes made for the wrong reasons. I doubt magic has anything to do with what Sato can achieve with a skater.