Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

OK..Octoberfest in Barrie gets underway tomorrow.

P/I are still listed, and it seems there have been a couple of additions to the entries for the SD , notably K /G-S from the States, another couple I thought really promising last year..

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Octoberfest 2011/ssden.html

I hope P/I can skate.. ( I hope they all skate )..and I hope we get a report...:D

SD scheduled for 2:50 PM Saturday

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

:D I found something on Flikr to ease our worries about P/I's health. Apparently they skated somewhere on the 8th of this month. Here's the pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24291681@N08/6228375803/

And the album it came from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24291681@N08/page1/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24291681@N08/archives/date-taken/2011/10/08/

I have no idea where the photo came from. Did something happen in Western Ontario this weekend? Because it seems like this shot was taken at the same time as some new ones of Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Bobak & Beharry and Rau & Simpson, all of whom train at the Kitchener Waterloo skating club. Either way, it's encouraging to see that they're on the ice. Hopefully they'll be OK for Skate America afterall.

3. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

thank you so much for the update! lovely picture!

I was fortunate enough to see them skate live at Skate Canada last fall, and they really cast a spell. I was familiar with their skating before tat competition, but the people sitting around me had never seen them skate before, but were ooohing and ahhhing just moments into their program. They just knew this was a special team. I am so excited to see their material for this year.

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, ITA. I was there too and they totally mesmerized me. I thought that they have that special "something" that comes naturally. They drew me into what they were doing.........nice moment.

5. skatingfan04

Don't thank me, thank whoever took the picture!:D I just wish I knew where it was from. Maybe someone here can shed some light on that.

I actually had a similar experience with this team last year. I've only seen them live once, and it was at Thornhill last summer. I knew of them, but when they came out to skate the SD, I was blown away. I had been expecting a trainwreck, because I didn't think that a Waltz/Tango could ever work, but they completely stunned me. I was made an instant fan.:lol: I'm counting the days 'till SA so that we can finally get a glimpse of their material.

6. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

They skated !

Octoberfest results -
    http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Octoberfest 2011/ssdrs.html

K/G-S over P/I by .42.. if you go back on that link details are available..K/G-S slightly better on tech , P/I slightly better on PCS ( I think they can bring their tech scores up , no prob.

I like K/G-S too , so this doesn't upset me :)

Any pics ? reports ?

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think now you feel more relax :) Cant wait to see them at GP!
    I think K\G-S and P-I had not very high score....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  8. skatingfan04

:D:rofl: YAY!!! Thank god, I was getting really worried! Too bad about the score though. They got a couple of level 2s, one on the rumba and one on the circular step sequence. Hopefully they can clean those up a bit before SA.

I'm dying to see this program. Anyone have any reports??

9. skatingfan04

Oops...double post.

10. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)I was having to post that quickly before I ran out on an errand.

I notice P/I had a fall deduction..that might have rattled them a bit..depending on the fall and where it was..
    That won't always be the case...

11. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Well there's not a lot of time before Skate America. They probably leave for CA on Tuesday or Wednesday.

It's really too bad they couldn't have competed their programs earlier than this. I guess they'll be going into Skate America with their FD never having been competed to test levels etc.

Her injury must have been pretty bad for them to skip August and September competition opportunities. If their injury isn't serious, then I question the strategy.

12. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

The photo was taken by Danielle Earl on the Carolyn Fedy Rink which is the home of the Kitchener Waterloo Skating Club. I think the occasion was a simulation night in front of a guest judge.

13. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I don't know, those scores are pretty much in-line with other SD scores so far...the Shibs had a 58, Chock/Bates had 53...I think a score in the 50s is pretty competitive right now. At least among all the teams except for V/M and D/W, who will have their own competition. :)

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But this were home competition. P-B had 72 at Masters ;)

15. rhumba

rhumba New Member

But K/G-S aren't Canadians, Barrie is not their home competition.

16. skatingfan04

ITA. Also, P/I seem to have had some issues, both with the fall and with their technical levels in the footwork, so the 55 seems to be fitting with that they were scoring internationally in the SD last year as well as the mistakes (they got about 50 at SC and 45 at CoR, both with mistakes much more costly than the ones they seem to have had here). As for P/I edging K/G-S in the PCS, I'm not too familiar with the America team, but I know P/I are really great performers live, so I don't think that would have been much of a gift either.

Actually, I have always felt that the judging at COS events is quite accurate. I'm not sure if this is the case, but many times what V/M scored at Thornhill in the summers would line up pretty well with what they would score nationally and internationally later in the season. This was the case for P/I as well the time that I saw them, and also a number of pairs teams. I'm not sure if this event would have had the same judges, but it would be safe to assume that at least some of them were.

Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see how they fair at SA before we can make an honest assessment. 5 more days until the SD!:D

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

So they didnt skate in FD? OK...
    I think Gilles/P Poirie score show what is "home competition". Sorry, but even with masterpiece FD 8. for new team in components and all levels 4 and higher levek for step sequence then Shibs had in Finlandia? Its a joke? :lol:

18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm going to wait to pass judgement until I see both of these teams.

19. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

Not entirely a joke, Pani. Absolutely I believe they received home competition marks. But it was a strong skate, they clearly were having fun, and the tricks were difficult. In COP, tricks get rewarded. The choreography was clever and complex, and the skating was very fast. But to me, in my opinion, I didn't see the dancing. I'm not sure how this will be received in the same competition as V/M, W/P and I/P.

It's the heart of the debate folks have been having on GoldenSkate. Does COP reward tricks and cleverness more than actual dancing? Is the point to choreograph a dance with the elements as highlights that flow out of the dance, or are the tricks the most important things with the dance choreographed around them? I think that will be the debate by Nationals on the judging panel with this team, in comparison to the other 3 top teams.

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    Do you really think they could be higher V-M, W-P or P-I at Nationals?

21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think their performance at last year's nationals was breathtaking.

I watched both this team and Crone and Poirier at the Awards night.
    While CP almost floated on the ice the performance of this team was heavily laboured. Granted that there was nothing riding on this performance but I was really disappointed in their skating skills.

I Look forward to their performance along with the other teams on the GP and at Canadian Nationals.

22. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

Absolutely not higher than V/M. Haven't seen W/P, but I highly doubt it. Really depends on how P/I develop over the season, and if they can stay healthy. I also think we have to see the SD to understand G/P skating skills together. All of those teams should have an edge in the SD, since G/P are so new. The FD is all about the tricks, and not about dance, so I don't really know how to place this in the overall Canadian landscape. What's more important? What will the judges think is more important? Even more, what is more likely to be respected internationally (although they won't skate internationally this year)? The tricks are really good, and they skate fast.

My expectation for top 5 in Canada: V/M, W/P, either P/I or G/P, R/H.

23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

They had low marks for transitions, so i think this show judges wish to see more dance from them, no?
    Hope P-I and R-H will be higher at Nationals then G-P.

24. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

So Skate America sd is over....Alex fell 2 or 3 times from the sounds of it. I wonder if she is still injured or does she struggle with competition nerves?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  25. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

There were a lot of trips and falls. I wonder if the ice was not quite right? It was good for the men, but there was trouble throughout the dance event after the ice remake.

26. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Too many sequins and feather bits on the ice?

It's a shame for P/I. I liked them in juniors - but last year's GP was the same story - lots of mistakes and no clean program. Perhaps they shouldnt have cancelled those summer competitons. Im hoping they look a lot better at their next GP.

From what I've heard of it on YouTube, they have some of the best SD music out there [maybe THE best] - so Im hoping the program lives up to it.

27. skatingfan04

From what we've heard, they cancelled due to injury, not by choice. I'm assuming she is still not 100% (they had similar issues at CoR last season, when an injury to her forced them out), so I'm not giving up yet. Haven't been able to see the program yet, but heard it was quite nice from a few whe were kind enough to provide play by plays at another forum. Hopefully, their FD goes better tomorrow.

28. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Yeah - good luck to them for tomorrow. BE LIKE CHARLIE!!! Don't let this get you down. :kickass:

carolina and (deleted member) like this.
  29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Feel sad for them both, because Mitch had mistake at SS too. :(
    Hope she feel OK and this is just a fluk, like Charlie had at CoR.
    Its sad, because such a young girl have so many inguries :(

30. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, I would suspect she is not quite over her injury. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out of the FD. So depressing for them but I'm sure they will redeem themselves down the road when she is not injured. They are both still very young.