Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

ITA
    I was one of them who saw them as clones in the past but Isee they are now coming into their own.

2. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

That's a really important point, IMO, and it's what has always attracted me to P/I most of all. If you watch the version of their FD with British Eurosport commentary, the commentators spent quite a bit of time talking about how P/I have the ability to make difficult transitions look effortless and generate speed and power from nowhere. One of the commentators said what they were capable of was almost an illusion, and made the very valid point that they almost make it look too easy. I think they have the same 'problem' as Virtue and Moir in that respect. I think they make the difficult look so easy that a lot of people get the impression that their programs are easier than what others are doing. Thankfully, in this instance, the judges saw it and rewarded them handily and appropriately for it. I'm hoping that's a trend that continues into Nationals...

3. Marta24

Marta24 Member

I am just glad that the judges are finally seeing their qualities and judging it appropriately. I was happy with the judging in this competition,since P/I got the highest PCS (and highest Skating Skills mark in both segments),which IMO they deserved.
    I also love their effortless and soft skating,but I also fear that this will be a problem one day, as it is with V/M sometimes.

4. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

P/I didn't appear in the gala streamed on Eurosport, so I'm not sure that poster didn't mix up another team with them.

5. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

That's what I was afraid of..

6. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

I hope we hear something -- medalists are generally obligated to skate unless there's a serious excuse.

7. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I'd love to see her in something like that. I saw Vanessa Crone skate that program and was astonished at how small she was in person - she had such presence on the ice that she always seemed larger on tv.

8. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Nooooo...please. I hated those costumes. :D..To each their own , I guess.

But I , too prefer Alex in more vibrant colours.. or even just some touches of deeper colour. For example ,I think it would make a world of difference to that pink dress if the flowers and neckline frill were done in one or two just slightly deeper or different shades of pink. That would keep it from washing out quite so much.

9. skatingfan04

Did anyone happen to catch the Skate Canada practice live streams today? P/I looked awesome! So fast, smooth and confident. Their FD run-through was gorgeous. I can't wait to see their SD tomorrow!

10. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Their practise looked great...I didn't notice any glaring mistakes. Here's hoping they do well.

12. tonkatwofeather

tonkatwofeather Member

Just caught their SD on TSN . . . Thought it was bloody marvellous!

God I love this team!

13. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

IA. Gorgeous lines & SS - the very difficult made to look easy.

14. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I thought it was lovely too, but I thought they got buried in the marks. I thought they should have been a few placements higher. The judging scared me for V/M.

15. Happy123

Happy123 New Member

16. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

They had a couple of technical errors (L1 on the second Finnstep pattern and L2 on the step sequence), GOE was mostly +1 and 0, except for the final lift, and they got the lowest PCS scores in the competition.

17. skatingfan04

Guys...that FD...:swoon::swoon:

I think P/I can consider this a job well done!

18. Marta24

Marta24 Member

Their FD was awesome. :cheer2:
    Such a pity that they didn't perform their SD like this,otherwise they could have been 3rd. They had the 3rd best technical score in the FD, so Krylova/Camerlengo seem to work for them. They just have to improve their consistency.

19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Exquisite.......I loved it, and it was so nice to see them move up in the standings. They, like V/M, are so smooth and beautiful to watch. Wonderful matching lines and the flow across the ice :). I'm happy for them to see some progress. I hope they are the 3rd team to go to Sochi. (Pulease Skate Gods!!!!)

20. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Posting for the first time here (I think?) I want to say that I was very impressed with Paul and Islam today. That program is gorgeous. Was that a career's best score for them? I honestly believe that Paul and Islam have the best blades on that field after V-M. They just need consistency and attack. If they can get those two elements working? I think Canada's place as a leading force in ice dance is secure. I hope they make it, I think that Olympic experience will make them grow even more. So, good vibes to them, I am a fan :)

21. skatingfan04

Here we are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLpuW-WiED0

Did anyone get the chance to look at the protocols? Their technical levels were ridiculously good!:D I think this was definitely the breakthrough they needed (this and their success at Nebelhorn). I also think that this is going to be a huge confidence boost for them, which is so important. Especially since they had two straight skates without major mistakes. I think that if they can get their confidence back, it will help relax them and bring out more of their character in the programs (which really is the only thing they need to work on for the FD IMO).:rofl:

Welcome Golightly!

To answer your question, this was their career best FD score and overall score. Their career best SD score was around 60, which they got at Nebelhorn a few weeks ago.

22. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Protocols
    DiSt3; base of 6.50, GOE 1.00
    STw4; base of 6.00, GOE .67
    CuLi4; base of 4.00, GOE .67
    CiSt3; base of 6.50, GOE 1.00
    SlLi4; base of 4.00, GOE 1.00
    Sp4; base of 5.00, GOE .42
    RoLi4; base of 4.00, GOE .92
    RoLi4; base of 4.00, GOE .50
    ChLi1; base of 0.20, GOE .38
    TOTAL Base Value was 37.70
    TOTAL GOE was 7.63
    TOTAL TES was 45.33

PCS were
    SS - 7.33
    LF/M - 7.04
    PER - 7.25
    CH - 7.33
    IN - 7.21
    TOTAL: 43.27

Think they achieved pretty good levels overall and getting level 4 on 2 of their final 3 elements (both rotational lifts) bodes well for them. Here's to hoping they stay healthy and UPRIGHT when they skate.

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I know you don't mean this, but to clarify the final ChoreoLift is automatically a level one no matter what. They basically got level fours on everything except their footwork, and getting level three on both bodes well for them definitely.

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Alexandra and Mitchell and their fans - that was one beautiful skate of an FD for sure. And a good score to boot. I think their components score could be higher if not for the fact that they don't have an international name yet. Hopefully they will go to Olympics and that will come with time.

25. jlai

jlai Title-less

I now see that this team doesn't have another gp event (yet). Shame, I'd love to know how they stack up against Orford/Williams and Gilles/Poirier.

26. sequins

sequins Active Member

Man I hope they make it to the Olympics. I love this team and I love their programs this season. Congrats to them & may they finally have good fortune rain down on them.

27. Subway

Subway New Member

Great comeback for this team in the free. While I could see the issues in the short dance, I was a little startled at the score and their placement relative to the field. I'm glad they were rewarded for what they did in the free dance, particularly that the judges responded to what appeared as much stronger footing for both of them compared to the short.

Their programs this season are sophisticated and technically demanding and just need to be grounded in consistent basics. That's not unusual for a team that has a great deal of talent to where some aspects of their skating, athleticism, partnership develop or pre-exist on a more advanced level than others at first. This team are strong dancers and capable of intricate work on the ice and they just need to keep their feet secure and do the drills that make that happen. I'd rather see real skaters like this, occasional issues getting into the ice as there may be, than skaters who try to work around the blade work altogether.

28. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)That FD was so satisfying... It's just a shame they don't have another international outing before Canadians..I hope they can nail down that third spot.

29. Subway

Subway New Member

I hope so too. That would be a classy team, presuming everybody
    stays healthy, knock wood: Virtue Moir, Weaver Poje, Paul Islam. I'm hoping (and, I guess, expecting) Paul Islam to stay in for the next quad. It's a shame they only have the one GP this season. They seem to be a team that just needs to get out there to strengthen their results on the international scene, and that isn't helped if they get caught in a Catch-22 sort of assignment protocol that limits their opportunities.

30. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

A new thread title will be needed soon!