Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Marta24

Marta24 Member

Sad because of the big mistake,but the good thing is,that they still got the highest PCS.So,the judges seemed to like them and were ready to have them on first without the mistake on the twizzles.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

That's good to know . I hadn't looked at the breakdown yet..:)

3. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Yeah the judges definitely took a shine to them. Not only were their PCS marks highest, they seemed to get some of the best GOE's as well. They would have won. It was strange to see them go down on twizzles of all things, but I was glad to see that they recovered really well. That was something that they used to struggle with a lot. It seems that, at the very least, they have developed the ability to keep mistakes from ruining their programs. Clearly they have issues with consistency in competition, but it looks like they're working on them. Hopefully this shows them that they are capable of international success if they can keep their programs clean. I also breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the protocols. The reason for the horribly low TES score was that they got 0 points for the twizzle sequence. I had been worried that they had lost levels across the board. Program wise, they're in great shape heading into Skate Canada. Let's hope all goes well for them.:D

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

P/I have got to stop making those mistakes if they want to go to Sochi. It seems like they always make that one error which kills them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  5. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Program from Nebelhorn.

At least this time it was Alexandra who made the mistake rather than Mitch. He's the one who has had more of the issues in the past, IMO. As others have said, they recovered well.

They likely would have won the gold without the twizzle error, so it was a lost opportunity, and really unfortunate. It also would have made a strong international statement. On the other hand, their score was high enough here that it shows they can be one of the contenders for the bronze at Skate Canada IF they can skate clean there. (Atlhough it's a five-way competition for bronze, with the Germans, both Russian teams and the Americans all in the mix and all strong contenders IMO).

ETA: On the other hand, if P/I couldn't win it, then their training mates Hubbell/Donahue were my replacement choice for gold. They are my favourite senior American ice dance team.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  6. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

I find it interesting that they didn't receive any credit on the twizzles. By the rulebook, it seems like they should at least have fulfilled the requirements for a level 1? But perhaps I'm misreading something.

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Congrats to Alexandra and Mitch. Their FD is my fav in the competition. Gorgeous skating skills. I agree if not for the minor errors, they would be first. I also think Mitch is the best male dancer of the evening.

8. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Hmm. I keep replaying the twizzle sequence and I can't figure out the call as well. Hopefully someone out there can explain.

9. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Jammers you are one of the most negative posters.
    Loosen up! They know what they need to do, have made tremendous strides and will move forward.

10. ichiro

ichiro Member

P/I looked really improved. PCS are up. Now they'll just have to stop making those mistakes. Definitely a better finish that last year 3rd vs 5th. On to SC

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Looks like the "interruption" occurred right after about 2 twizzles for her, so the rest of the sequence was rendered moot. I *think* a twizzle sequence is defined as at least one rotation in each direction.

What an unfortunate mistake for them. I love the music and the program and would love to see them grab the Sochi spot.

12. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

so this

2. If a loss of control with additional support (touch down by free leg/foot and/or hand(s)) occurs after a Twizzle has commenced and the Twizzle continues after touchdown (without interruption), only the clean rotations before the touchdown shall be considered for Level.

combined with this?

Level 1
    (for each partner)

At least one rotation in each of the two Twizzles

13. lavenderblue

Ah, that must be it. I feel like this is one of those things where the letter of the rule doesn't necessarily make sense in the strictest application (the same mistake can happen on a later set and get the whole element level 2, while the next two clean sets here were considered irrelevant), but at least there's some explanation. The bigger takeaway really is the PCS triumph, and that they did hold on to the podium despite loss of an entire element, and didn't let it affect their performance -- that says something for where they're finally getting themselves.

Here's a recap article with a couple of quotes from them: Canadians win two bronze at Nebelhorn Trophy

14. skatingfan04

Did P/I not skate in the gala? I was skimming through the live stream video from the gala and I don't see them anywhere.:confused:

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yes. She didn't meet the requirements for level 1, so blammo! zero points :(

16. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

That's Jammers being Jammers!:D

17. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but in this case, I agree with the comment. I love Paul and Islam and would love to see them make the Olympic team this year, but as I commented in the Nebelhorn thread, they seem to be their own worst enemies, as I can only count a handful of competitions that they have made it through without a major mistake. I know that they have also had bad luck with injuries, but the biggest issue right now seems to be competition nerves.

18. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 New Member

I think Paul and Islam are where they need to be at this stage of the season - they don't want to peak early. Beautiful programs, beautiful skaters. Their skating skills are outstanding, body lines gorgeous -- the best team in the competition had it not been for the mistake.

19. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

I hope everything is ok.. I don't think they skated at the gala..

20. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Apparently they did skate in the gala , because AlexD over at GS ( if I understood correctly )was just saying their gala performance was so beautiful and hinted he/she was close to tears.

Help! Video anyone ?

21. lavenderblue

Whatever they did, they didn't appear in the gala finale...

22. skatingfan04

Strange...:confused:

23. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

24. lavenderblue

That's mislabeled -- it's Purich and Tran.

25. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

ITA. I cannot believe the amount of control they exhibit in every position, and those soft knees are just :swoon:
    I especially love the last piece of music and can't wait to see how this develops throughout the season. I am so jealous of those of you who will see them at Skate Canada!

Thanks for the info, Pratfall. I hope we get a video.

26. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I know that the ethereal look is part of their appeal, but I wonder with Alexandra being so petite, if a shorter dress would look better on her - sometimes she looks swamped in the clothing. I have to agree about the 'one big mistake per event' syndrome, even if it isn't exactly true, I think we still wait for something to happen to spoil their beautiful program. Maybe the judges are too. Ice dance is cruel in that the skaters can't recover that mark in their FD. Wish they could have an optional element to make up a mark.

27. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I remember a time when kaetlyn and andrew were prone to errors. I think working with K and C will bring them confidence and consistency.

28. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

That would be my hope! K & C did a great job with Kaitlyn & Andrew :)

But I do wonder whether K & C are stretched a bit too far choreographically these days. Their school has so many students, and so many teams coming just for choreography.

29. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how this would look if they wore something totally modern and bright. Perhaps something like Crone & Poirier's Eleanor Rigby costumes. It would be so unexpected, but I think it would really make them standout and perhaps erase some of the "frail/etheral" and "V/M clone" imagery.

30. lavenderblue

What shouldn't be overlooked here is that P/I won the event in PCS -- and not only that, they just saw a boost of nearly four points in that area from what they earned at last year's Nebelhorn, as well as from their earlier range (2011-12 excepted). The judges gave them about as much as they reasonably could.

Something I also think is overlooked a lot in discussions and comparisons of teams is the actual difficulty level of what P/I are doing. They have some of the purest skating-based programs out there right now, especially with that FD. There's very little time to stop, there's not much breathing room, but they're skating into and out of everything, entering and exiting elements on running edges. They're changing hold frequently, they're changing direction and getting major ice coverage and speed, all with run of the blade. I think there are some who don't recognize or agree with that, but I don't think the judges are among that group. They see what's out there and they're rewarding it.