Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Theoretically, both Ralph/Hill and Orford/Williams are skilled enough to challenge Paul/Islam. Having seen everyone's programs, however, I think P/I would have to make a mistake to be overtaken. All programs skated cleanly, I think they would come out on top. The scores and results from Thornhill and the BC summer skate seem to indicate as much (though, of course, its tough to compare scores between different competitions).

2. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:D ..I agree completely..even though I'm aware that I may not be completely unbiased..:rolleyes:..because I don't like the music choices of either R/H or O/W , even though I like both teams (for different reasons ). Both their FD's have some interesting aspects, but P/I's program seems to me to be in another league ( and you know it's only going to grow )

3. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I have watched their SD and FD for several times now, and I feel I can comment now. The SD is really nice, and I like the "pure" quality of it. As for the FD - I must say that usually I like more intricate, "richer" choreography, and usually this would be too simple in terms of choreography for me. But the more I watch it, the more mesmerized I am. The ease of their skating and their lines (especially Alexandra Paul's) are just gorgeous. Most of the lifts are still too simple in my eyes. I realize that acrobatic lifts wouldn't suit this style anyway, but there is simple, and then there is simple. One of the greatest examples of lifts that look simple and easy while actually being quite difficult is, of course, Virtue/Moir's 'Mahler'. I hope that Alexandra and Mitchell can aspire to something like that. They also seem a little bit lacking in expression (to me), but with this music (dramatic, yet somewhat austere at least in the beginning) their reserved, "low-key" expression works, and is even right. Actually the music itself is powerful enough, and at the same time it doesn't call for dramatic expression, big gestures, and so on.

4. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Nebelhorn is just a week away and I'm hoping P/I have a rousing competition , and a warm welcome ... wasn't that ice show they did in the summer in Obertsdorf ? They may have a local following. Really looking forward to seeing how their programs have progressed.

OT , but I'm also rooting for their club mates H/D and O'B/M ..Go, guys !

5. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I'm also rooting for H/D, who are my favourite senior U.S. dance team.

But I'm not rooting for them at the expense of P/I.

6. Fort

Fort New Member

A practice video at Nebelhorn, thanks to Tatjana2541...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajmp3IywVeA

They have such beautiful lines and practice clothes show that off. They're looking very ready for this competition.

7. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

They change one lift!! Beautiful!!!

8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Oh that is a marvelous prorgram......Good luck to them :)

9. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Beautiful !

:swoon: Waiting for this to start. They skate last..not sure if that's a good thing or not. Best of luck to them.

I was getting nervous last night and I resorted to just cutting my tarot deck :lol: ..2 cuts..the Emperor and the Empress..power,authority,beauty ,bounty, etc..

Crossing all appendages..

10. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

YES!!!:cheer2:

First place! Battle is on for that 3rd Olympic spot.They beat their PB by 9 points!

11. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Great ! So happy for them.. that program is genius . Really sets them apart.

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Good luck to them in FD! I was impressed with there skating at practice video - they have such a great lines.

13. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Me too, Pani! I hopped over here to this thread just to say that! Haha So beautiful!

14. volunteer

volunteer Member

Thanks for posting that video, they are gorgeous skaters. Call me crazy, but I'll take edges and body lines any day over flailing and drama!

15. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Thank you! Wow, they are looking so good. Alexandra in particular is looking amazing! She has the best back and arms in ice dance. Just gorgeous. Their knee action and edge work in the footwork sequences look really good.

They are SO much better than Gilles and Poirier. It's too bad Skate Canada/Skate Canada judges can't see that.

16. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Perhaps this year they will see and reward them.......I sure hope so.

17. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Congratulations to P&I on a huge personal best & winning the SD!!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. skatingfan04

As if we weren't being spoiled enough today, here's an HD video with British Eurosport commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKv3ZyViZ3U

Can you believe how incredible they look? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

They blew their PB, and the rest of the couples, out of the water. If they win this thing, they'll be the talk of the town going into the most important season of their careers. I can't think of a more incredibly perfect way for them to start their season!

19. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

That was one fabulous SD! :respec:

20. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

21. rhumba

rhumba New Member

They improved so much this year, hope they do well tomorrow, FD! It will help boost their confidence and continue to do well at SC.

22. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I'm happy they're in first place! I hope they get to go to the Olympics with Tessa and Scott and W/P

23. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I used to think this team were a copycat T&S but I can see some differences now ( also some similarities).
    I think Alexandra has the softness of T but not her power and that Mitch has to up the ante a bit to follow in Scott's footsteps.
    Good start for them. I saw them at Thornhill and they did very well there too.

Our next generation of ice dancers is developing very nicely.

24. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Love this SD. It might be my favourite SD that I've seen so far this season.

I wonder if this is her final dress. I like it but think she needs a more vibrant colour.

25. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

LOL. Good luck to anyone on that.

26. skatingfan04

Amen to that!:D

I can't wait until tomorrow!

Just to let everyone know, the competition is being live streamed by the ISU on Youtube. I'm not sure about other countries, but it's not geoblocked in Canada, so P/I's Canadian fans can watch it there. Does anyone know what time the FD is going to be at?

27. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Here's the detailed time schedule. Time in Oberstdorf is 6 hours ahead of Eastern time.

The ISU channel is geoblocked in the U.S., but streams of British Eurosport have been available widely for the events so far, showing the last few groups in each event. In the U.S., we also have Icenetwork as long as one already has a subscription, but they're only showing the final two groups in each field (though that did and will include P/I).

28. skatingfan04

So...who's excited???

29. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I am......and sending them good vibes :). Pulease skate gods lol

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I nearly fell off my chair...

But it was a great recovery.. Recoup for Skate Canada , kids !