Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

O/W should be gurarateed one GP assignment by being Top 24 WS after it is adjusted to drop the 2010-11 season's points and to factor the 2011-12 season's points by 70%, which happens after the final Sr. B is over and before the GP selection.

2. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Ah! That helps the Canadian field considerably. I hadn't considered that they could move up that significantly, thank you.

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Host picks come first in the GP selection process and each host can choose 3 skaters/teams per discipline. Obviously, SCI will choose V/M as their first host pick. They will base the other picks on whether or not teams are likely to get invitations from the other hosts.

After the purge of old World Standings data, W/P will be top 6 and both G/P and O/W will be top 24; W/P and G/P are also top 24 on Seasons Best. W/P will definitely get two GP invitations, and G/P are likely to get two also, so Skate Canada probably won't name either team as a host pick.

Orford/Williams are #26 on Seasons Best and with their top 24 WR could get a GP invitation; they could also eventually be chosen as a substitute (they did get a substitute slot this past season). SCI could choose O/W as a host pick to ensure two spots for them, or leave it to chance.

That leaves Paul/Islam and Ralph/Hill. Both will be well out of the top 24 on WR and R/H are in the 40s on SB, while P/I have no SB rating since they didn't compete in the GP or an ISU Championship event. My guess is P/I will get a host pick since they can't even get a substitute slot (no SB rating), and R/H might get one if O/W don't.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Top 24 WS has been guaranteed a spot for several years. O/W will move to Top 24 WS after it is adjusted and should be guaranteed one. Whether SC decides to keep a TBD spot open for a skate-off at USISC or Nebelhorn or to assign all three spots outright is just a few months away.

The Olympic Qualifier scores were part of the SB list for the 2009-10 season. Unless the rules change, Nebelhorn 2013 scores should count for the 2014-15 season. The winners of five-six early senior internationals have been put towards the bottom of the alternates list for the last couple of years, but that's only been relevant for Pairs, where Scimeca/Knierem got a GP assignment as the only team on left on the alternates list.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  5. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Well, I guess we'll have to see what happens. I think that if P/I impress at Thornhill (which they usually attend), perhaps at LPIDC, and maybe at a senior B event or two, they'll have a great shot at the Skate Canada spot. And what a fabulous chance that would be!

Now, at the risk of starting too many conversations at once, what do you guys think of possible music choices for next season? I always love speculating about those, because people come up with such lovely options! Of course, I'm almost always laughably off the mark, but it's still fun to do.:D

6. lavenderblue

Always an excellent discussion topic! ;)

There have been a few styles that I've had in mind, and a few pieces of music, but that doesn't necessarily overlap. There have been a few classical pieces that I've wanted a team to find a way to make ice dance-friendly, and P/I have the right qualities to accentuate a subtle piece of music. A couple of those:

Après un rêve - Gabriel Faure
    Reverie - Claude Debussy (not a perfect performance, but I prefer an arrangement with strings to just solo piano)

But I've also been contemplating blues and modern, though don't really have music thoughts in either style yet. Something to let them demonstrate something new, though, while still emphasizing their strengths (connection as skaters, chemistry, musicality, line).

7. skatingfan04

Ooh, I love the Gabriel Faure one!

Going completely in the opposite direction, I can't shake the idea of P/I going fully classical and choosing something from a ballet. I think it would be the perfect way to hi-light all of their strengths (softness, elegance, musicality) while bringing something to the table that very few people are actually doing right now. Some of my favourites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt5oTVXXuWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnMkUtgnFKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGeAT5Lk0Xw

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tessa & Scott do a ballet, since V&M haven't had a ballet competitive program, and Tessa has said she always wanted to do one in interviews. Consequently, with how competitive it is going to be for that third spot on the Olympic team at Canadians, I hope none of the other Canadian teams choose ballet-who would want to skate their ballet program back to back with Tessa & Scott's? Granted it worked out OK for C&L at Worlds with Carmen, but it isn't a comparison I'd seek if I were P&I.

9. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

You're probably right ,Doris ..but actually Alexandra's body is even more perfectly proportioned for classical ballet . Her arms, back and extension are to die for. However, they aren't in the same league with Tessa and Scott as an ice dance couple and given that they've already had to fend off accusations of merely being V/M wannabes, I think they should avoid anything too similar.

Massimo said last year, that DSC thought P/I had as yet only reached about 50% of their potential, so I'm hoping they continue to develop there and do hope to see a ballet themed program from them someday... Their wango from 2 yrs. ago showed me that they also really "get" the tango , as do Tessa and Scott, so since my wish of seeing a full tango FD from V/M is apparently not to be..:(...I'd like to see P/I do a tango , too. Mitch has really started to bring out his expression in the last year. He's really becoming a dancing partner as opposed to a partner.

skatingfan04 ..I think Alex would make an utterly ethereal Slyph .. Juliet wouldn't be bad ,either.

10. lavenderblue

I think one of my main focuses for P/I next season, or at least going forward, actually, is versatility. They've established their strength in lyrical free dances, though 1900 really expanded their expression, but I'd be interested to see them try a more grounded style, to stretch themselves and to show they can dance even more than what they have so far. Their 2010-11 short dance was fantastic, though I feel like tangos often turn out better in short programs than as free dances... But that's where my interest for them in something edgier or grittier like the styles I'd mentioned comes in. Especially with a Finnstep-based short dance, a serious contrast for the free would be excellent.

11. skatingfan04

Tango was going to be my next choice. :D The very first time I saw P/I skate in person, they skated their 'wango' and I was blown away. Like you said, they really got the style. Imagine what they could do with it now.:eek::D

12. skatingfan04

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

14. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

It's in 3/4 time according to the sheet music. It won't do.

The Finnstep must be in 2/4, the Quickstep is also 2/4, Foxtrot is 4/4, and Charleston is 4/4, so there's no match there.

15. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

16. skatingfan04

17. skatingfan04

18. skatingfan04

19. lavenderblue

Is anyone attending the COS show tomorrow evening? I know Danielle Earl will be shooting the event, so looking forward to lovely new pictures. :) Also hoping for news of a new exhibition for P/I!

20. skatingfan04

Yay! I LOVE Danielle Earl's photos! Can't wait! Unfortunately I can't attend the show, but I'm sure we would all appreciate reports from anyone who does. :)

21. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Oh hi!!! You're all TOO sweet! I'm super excited to be at the show tonight - I'll do my best to provide some reports and get photos up quickly! :)

22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanx Daniskates93, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I love this team :)

23. Daniskates93

Just back from the show, it was lovely! Thankfully I arrived early - just as Alex and Mitch were starting their practice run-through so I knew what side they were going to face at the beginning and end so I picked the right side to shoot from! They performed a modified version of their SD from this season without the yankee polka. It was lovely, of course!

24. skatingfan04

Thanks! I love that program.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

26. lavenderblue

27. Daniskates93

28. skatingfan04

29. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

That's terrific........glad for them

30. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member