Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. martyross

martyross Active Member

they have improved a lot! better edges, flow, unison, musicality, posture (especially her!) the step sequences in the FD are a pleasure to watch and the lifts are well incorporated in the program.
    Alexandra is becoming a charming young lady.

2. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

I'm loving the videos and great reports.

I so want this team to have a smooth, injury-free season and kick some ass. :)

3. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

That SD is SO charming. Piaf is an inspired choice.

4. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

I really like this team, although it's difficult to watch her and not see Tessa Virtue.

5. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

6. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Confirmation of what?

7. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Paul and Islam have such a chic short dance this season, jsut lovely. And Alexandra is one of the most stylish ladies in figure skating.

8. skatingfan04

The exact pieces of music they're using. Sorry, I was writing in a rush.

ITA, by the way, about how lovely/chic the SD is. I adore it <3

9. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

P&I no longer have the Barrie crew listed as coaches.

Not that Skate Canada's website is reliable or anything. They still have Shpilband listed as one of V&M's coaches.:rolleyes:

10. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

This article seems to suggest Skate Canada may have gotten something right this time.

And I appreciate the music listing. This would explain why I couldn't locate the fourth cut on the Legend of 1900 soundtrack!

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

Wow, if they are really staying full-time at DSC, then this must have been a very tough decision, especially for Mitchell Islam. But I think you could already see improvement in their skating after only 3 months, especially in their presentation.

12. skatingfan04

I think it's a fabulous decision for them. :D David Islam and the whole team did an incredible job with them, but I think P/I have simply outgrown Mariposa. They have too much talent to be training in isolation, and being with the best every day will really help them to improve further. I must say that after Thornhill this weekend, I suspected the move had been made permanent. David Islam and the other coaches didn't stand with P/I at all this weekend, as they always have before (and you would assume would have if they were still coaching them). Instead, Massimo Scali was there for them. I know that he's been working with them at DSC, so I took that as a good sign. I'm so glad my instincts were right!!

13. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

14. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I am so excited to hear this news, and cannot wait to see how they grow through Carmelengo/Krylova's support! Wow. Way to assess the circumstances and aggressively go the route that will keep pushing them forward. On that note, I really hope the new coaches can pry open the boundaries of their expressiveness...push it even further. Listening to Manleywoman's podcast interviews with Tom Dickson and PJ Kwong, they both had interesting takes on the choreographer's relationship with the skater, especially one who is introverted - the "right" material and "click" between choreographer and skater can make magical things happen, and really bloom the bud, so to speak. Here's to that!

15. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

16. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Danielle,
    As usual amazing pictures.

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

18. skatingfan04

19. Daniskates93

Howdy folks,
    Here are the photos I took of the Short Dance from Thornhill: http://danielleearl.zenfolio.com/p632170567
    Please bear in mind that they are unedited and therefore may be crooked/not centered.
    Enjoy!

20. skatingfan04

Gorgeous!!!:D I didn't bother bringing my camera to Thornhill this year (the hockey netting always ruins my pictures), so imagine my delight when I saw that your pictures would be posted online. Thank you SO much!!

21. Daniskates93

SO glad you like them!

22. skatingfan04

Are P/I not attending the High Performance Camp? One day in, and I haven't read anything mentioning their names, or seen them in any of the pics that have been tweeted. I know they're not attending the GP circuit, but I was always under the impression that the entire national team was invited, as well as any non national team members who are selected for GP events (I remember P/I attending back in 2010 before their first senior nationals), so I had assumed they would be there. Can anyone confirm/deny??

23. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Perhaps with SLC only 5 days off ,they just decided to stay put and hone that polka..

24. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

25. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

underrated, I hope to see them do well on their B competition meets

26. skatingfan04

27. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I love this team. I find them mesmerizing to watch. Hope I get to see lots of them this season.

28. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

It doesn't hurt that they are both such attractive young people as well as being talented. After seeing them a couple of years ago and loving them as a new young team, I'm really hoping that they have a wonderful season and make lots of headway. To me they are very special and I am rooting for them wholeheartedly.

29. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

By this time next week , we'll know the results from SLC ( and I hope we will have seen vids , too ). Here's hoping they have a fabulous competition. Go , guys !

30. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I am really looking forward to watching them skate this year!