Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

2. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

3. skatingfan04

4. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Thanks for all the links!

The Challenge entries, confirming Paul/Islam in senior dance, were released today. Just a week away; the SC site suggests it will be streamed again, so here's hoping!
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Nice one, thanks. Great looking couple.
  6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed that montage. Thanks muchly. They are terrific and I hope they get recognized for it some day :)
  7. syed

syed New Member

Exquisite. Some things just can't be taught.
  8. skatingfan04

9. lavenderblue

10. skatingfan04

That's adorable!

Challenge is just around the corner! I believe the SD goes Thursday, and the FD Friday. But, it seems that Skatebuzz has taken a page out of icenetwork's book and is now charging for it's live streaming.:(
  11. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I know... Dang them ! I was so looking forward to seeing P/I at Challenge , but I have so many expenses right now , I don't think I can scrape up an extra 20 cents , let alone 20 bucks ...:(

I'll just have to hope someone puts P/I up on YouTube eventually , or wait for Nationals. Unless the Lotto fairy smiles on me tomorrow..:D

Never mind that during a few events, the service has cut out before or during the skaters I most wanted to see ...( if I'd paid for that non-coverage ,there would have been something of an explosion here on the west coast. )
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  12. skatingfan04

Tell me about it. :( I'm headed to both nationals and worlds this year (I'm a Torontonian, and we hardly ever get events within driving distance of the city so I'm taking advantage), so no can do on the extra $20 for me either. Hopefully their programs find their way onto Youtube eventually. I'd really love to catch a glimpse of how they're coming along before nationals rolls around.
  13. mirage

mirage Member

Congrats to Alex and Mitch on the short at the Challenge!!. Good luck for the long.
  14. skatingfan04

15. lavenderblue

I don't think there will be any video surfacing from the SD -- Skatebuzz's stream went off-air for them and only returned when the next team received their scores. :( But their marks really are wonderful. Would have been nice to see the skate!
  16. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

G-r-r-r-r !

I got a chance to sign up unexpectedly at the last moment ... and now ,I do feel ripped off. I would have thought that if they were going to charge , Skate Canada would have seen to it that some of the bugs were worked out. Not only did it cut out partway through the Sr. SD warm up , when it did come back, the next couple froze badly for about a third of their program , only to stream at double speed for the next third , at least.:eek:

No, P/I aren't in the archive ..nor are any of the few other Sr. couples . Some others who skated in Jr.Dance are missing from the archives as well..but you can play a couple of nice vids of the Zamboni going around ...and around ...
  17. lavenderblue

Where did you look in the archives? The other senior couples are up there, or were when I looked through earlier. I also found all the juniors, I thought.
  18. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Well, I'll be delighted if I can find them. Maybe there's another way to get there .... and maybe I looked too early ? Checking...

Yep. The others are certainly there now.( all 3 of them..:rolleyes: ) Maybe I blinked and missed them before .. but I did try a number of times in a row.Could I have blinked every time ?..:D ( I guess stranger things have happened )

I'd also been watching for Cyr/Brisebois-Gaudreau and you still can't find them by name , although they placed 6th ..you have to search through a long segment simply labelled 2013 Challenge, or whatever the official title is. Maybe that will be corrected eventually. But it's pretty frustrating right now.

I'm a bit relieved , but generally find the whole set up very glitch prone. I used to like to switch to the Ustream site by clicking on their logo. They offered an intermediate size screen that was good for my equipment ( Full is a bit fuzzy for me)..and they also had a banner scroll at the bottom that really made searches easier after or later in the competition when there's scads of skaters to sort through.

I hope we get to see P/I tomorrow ..Speaking of stranger things , it's is getting to be a too-oft repeated pattern where the top contender in a segment is somehow * whoops ! * not recorded ( or not archived ). I can count at least 3 other occasions in the last year and a half . It's bizarre to say the least.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  19. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

It's particularly bizarre when they have the replay footage from the judging, and I would think in a pinch that at something like Challenge, that footage would be available to skatebuzz.
  20. lavenderblue

I don't imagine that they're as concerned as that with giving the consumers what they want. We've already paid them as it is.
  21. skatingfan04

22. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Poor Mitch..:lol: Never have so many been so glad to hear someone has the stomach flu..:lol:

Get better quick , Mitch..there's work to be done to be ready for Canadians. ;)
  23. skatingfan04

Looks like P/I are gonna be skating a gala in Germany this week!

https://twitter.com/mitchislam

Has anyone ever heard of it? I found a bit of info, but not much...

http://www.spotlight-productions.de/

Regardless, what a great thing for them to get out in front of an international audience. Hopefully we'll get some pictures or video or something.
    geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

If you click on the Videos link on the left, you'll see that past Media Markt Eisgalas are available for online viewing as long as you have the updated Flash plug-in.

I posted about the show in the German news thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...skating-news&p=3770548&viewfull=1#post3770548
  25. Laney

Laney Member

I´ll be at the show in Ingolstadt and I can tell you how they did! I´m really looking forward to see them, there! I only saw the at the Nebelhorn-Trophy so it will be great to see them at a show. This show was shown on TV for several years on EuroSport or the Bavarian channel, in the last years it was only shown of a very local channel of Ingolstadt, and this years it won´t be shown at all but maybe you can buy DVDs of the show... I´ll try to find out more when I´m there.
  26. skatingfan04

That's great! I hope you have a wonderful time, and I'm sure we'll all appreciate your report!
  27. lavenderblue

I don't know if any video will turn up, but here's an amazing album from today's show. P/I appear all throughout -- there are multiple sets of different shots from their two programs as well as a group number including Alex, Sinead, and Eman, and the group finale with everyone.
  28. skatingfan04

Wow, those are gorgeous, thanks! P/I look stunning, as usual. I'll keep my eyes peeled for videos.
  29. skatingfan04

30. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

I think the song is Get here.
  31. lavenderblue

It is. Here's a video of that singer performing it a few months ago.
  32. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Weirdly, that clip freezes for me as soon as the woman's announcement ends... I'm pouting...

Ah, that pout must have helped..5th try lucky :lol:
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  33. lavenderblue

Here's a longer video. I had quite a bit of trouble with the shorter clip as well, but this one ran very smoothly. The Eisgala coverage begins at around 9:00, with clips of both of P/I's programs starting at about 13:25.
  34. syed

syed New Member

A lot of beauty singing and skating at one time........
  35. skatingfan04

36. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Cute picture!! I hope P/I have a great Nationals!! :cheer2:
  37. skatingfan04

38. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Just gorgeous.....thanks for posting skatingfan04. I'm always rooting for those two.
  39. skatingfan04

Ditto. I'm so glad to see that their fanbase seems to be growing, on facebook and tumblr, in spite of the fact that they haven't had much time in front of the international audience (or even the national one, for that matter).

I'd love to know what you all think of their chances for the rest of the season, given the latest developments in Canadian dance.

For those who haven't heard (though i suspect most have), Kaitlyn Weaver broke her fibula a few weeks back, and she had since had successful surgery to repair the injury and is recovering at home (and currently walking on crutches). They have confirmed that they will not be attending nationals, and while no determination has been made about worlds as of yet, I can't see any why that she could possibly be recovered in time for that. I'm a massive W/P fan, and my heart is breaking for them right now, especially since this season was already a rough one for them, and they'll be missing a home town world championships. :(

Returning to the subjects of this thread, I would say the situation, as tragic as it is, is going to open the door for P/I regardless of where Gilles/Poirier end up placing. I haven't followed this season as closely as I do most years, but it doesn't seem to me like Ralph/Hill or Orford/Williams will have enough to knock P/I off of the podium unless they make a major mistake. Their material just isn't strong enough, especially in a season where P/I have really strong programs which seem to have been well received by judges thus far. So if all goes well, they should be heading off to worlds, which is fabulous for them. Whether they go in the silver or bronze medal position remains to be seen, but given that they've been so close to G/P all season, and that G/P didn't seem to make quite the impact on the GP that was expected of them (don't get me wrong, they had a fantastic first season, especially considering they're such a new team, but I don't think they had that "wow" moment that teams so often have when they start out), I think P/I have a very reasonable chance of beating them as well. I don't think the judges will get away with the same kind of insanity they pulled last year.

My concern, with W/P out, is about spots for the 2014 Olympics. Virtue/Moir will be first or second, barring some sort of epic disaster (and given that their FD is a total masterpiece, my money's on 1st), meaning that our next team will have to come 11th or 12th for us to earn three berths. Everyone's been rolling their eyes at that one, but I honestly don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility. I believe Ralph/Hill were 13th at last year's worlds, and I think that both P/I and G/P are stronger skaters that they are, so there's no reason to believe that one of the two teams could finish at least as high. Take into account the fact that with W/P out, everyone below the top 5 will be moving up a spot anyways, and I think it could happen. At least I'm hoping so. It'll be so devistating if, with all the talent we have, there will only be two Olympic spots next year (think Weaver/Poje circa 2010). Fingers crossed!:)
  40. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The problem for Paul/Islam is that they had no GP events this season, where G/P had two. P/I's first International was the US event, where G/P and P/I had high scores, beating Chock/Bates. But neither G/P nor P/I scored as high in their later events as they did at the US event. P/I finished 5th at Nebelhorn, where the medalists were Chock/Bates, Zlobina/Sitnikov and Zhiganshina/Gazsi---all of whom will likely be skating at Worlds. G/P were 4th at SC and 6th at TEB. On ISU World Standings, P/I are #32 and G/P are #42, which means both teams will skate early in the SD.

Neither team is likely to beat the 3 Russian teams, the 3 US teams, and Cappellini/Lanotte. Teams they have to beat to make top 12 include Guignard/Fabbri, Zlobina/Sitnikov and Zhiganshina/Gazsi.