Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Thank YOU! I've been looking at them over and over since last night. I'm glad I finally know who to thank (I've enjoyed many of your photos previous to this event as well). :D All of the shots from the show were beautiful.

2. skatingfan04

I wasn't at the show, but I doubt it based on the pictures we've seen. Costumes aside, it seems that they performed an overhead lift, which is insanely cool :cool: and also very very illegal for competition. Besides, I expect that it is much too early in the season for a FD to be performance ready. I'd love a confirmtion on that, though.

3. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Awe, that's so nice! I appreciate your kind words :) :$

4. skatingfan04

:D Do you happen to know what music they used?

5. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

I can't remember for the life of me! Sorry

6. skatingfan04

No worries. Your pictures were more than enough to satisfy my curiosity. :D

7. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

So no GP assignment for Paul and Islam. I was hoping Skate Canada would give them one of the SC spots. I guess they've lost confidence in P&I.

Hopefully they'll get assigned to Nebelhorn and Finlandia.

8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sad P-I will not be at GP :( I hope they will be at SC and at "B" competitions.

9. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

The three SC dance spots have already been assigned (Gilles/Poirier, Ralph/Hill, Virtue/Moir).

Interesting that SC had to give Ralph/Hill the SC spot to get them their one guaranteed assignment (Couldn't negotiate a place for them elsewhere? Granted, there are a limited number of GP slots these days, so maybe not.)

I'm sorry that Paul/Islam don't have a GP.

10. Conga

Conga New Member

The reduction in GP spots really hurt this team as well as a number of skaters across the disciplines and federations.

11. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Agreed. In my opinion, V/M and W/P should get 2 assignments, but all the rest, including G/P should get 1. That would give I/P a spot at SC. With the depth in ice dance, I don't see how any of the rest have any chance of getting GPF spots. So might as well make the most of the spots and see how these teams stack up with international judging panels instead of the local biases. Below V/M and W/P, the results at Nationals were ridiculous.

12. skatingfan04

Great to see that Skate Canada, in their infinite wisdom, has given two spots to a team that has only competed one competition in their entire careers (and a domestic one at that) instead of giving one of the spots to a team that has gotten good international results in the past. Way to go.:rolleyes: I wonder which team SC wants to get to worlds? Let's just hope the judging at nationals isn't a crock like it was this year. Though, with this latest bit of info, I'm not holding my breath.

13. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

I hope 1 of 2 things happens: either the team with the assignments works their butts off and finds some way to have some good skating skills between last Nationals and Skate Canada, or the international judges put them in their proper place. By the time we get to Nationals, either they will have some credibility with dramatically improved skills, or they will find their way down the ranks in Canada because they are not the darlings internationally that Skate Canada thought they would be.

I also really hope that Paul/Islam are healthy, work really, really hard, and get some great assignments at Senior B's. I would love for them to knock programs out of the park next season with great results. By Nationals, they could be in a position for 3rd place, which would take them international to 4CC and Worlds. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

14. skatingfan04

I know it's not, I'm just ticked off by this entire situation. I know that P/I have been given chances by SC and have failed to deliver in the past, and I know that G/P have a right to assignments based on their status as national brinze medallists, but it still worries me. If SC is so willing to chance sending an inexperienced team to two events, then I don't think they'll have any problem "tweaking" the scoring at nationals like they clearly did this year.

I really hate to say this, because I actually don't have a problem with G/P as skaters or people (it's merely their scores that bother me, which I realise are out of their control), but I'm hoping they get penalised for all of the glaring deficiencies that the national judges ignored at nationals during the GP season. I realize we'll likely see improvement from them, but i don't think that one season, realistically, is enough to improve their technique enough to bring them anywhere near P/I's level (when they're healthy and trained, of course), or the level of the other top teams in the country for that matter. Perhaps seeing G/P put in their place internationally will convince SC to let the skating decide the results at nationals, in which case P/I should have a realistic chance of making it to worlds.

I'm hoping that P/I at least get a couple of senior B events. Not only will the experience help- them, but good results there could open SC's eyes as well.

15. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Who didn't see this coming after Nationals? They'll probably get a senior B, but really, should tackle two or three. But I'd be floored if they beat G/P at Nationals.

16. skatingfan04

And just like that, their prospects are brightening. :D If this means what I think it does, then there may be more hope of them making the world team than there was a few minutes ago. Hey, if it worked for Weaver/Poje...

http://twitter.com/#!/mitchislam

17. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Definitely good news.

18. skatingfan04

I was hoping to hear this, actually. I think training alongside W/P, P/B and the others will do wonders for P/I. It could potentially push their skating to another level like it did for W/P. Working with that brilliant coaching team probably won't hurt either... :D

19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

The link didn't work for me, but I am assuming that they are moving to Detroit? Just going by the follow up comments. Please let it be that!!!!

20. skatingfan04

Not 100% sure (I don't want to start a silly rumour), but based on what they've written on twitter, it seems they'll be training at DSC for the summer. :D:D:D

21. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Alexandra tweeted: "All settled into our new apartment. DSC for the summer :) #soexcited"

Mitchell retweeted it.

22. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:DOmigod, Omigod ! ..wish fulfillment for me , then.:D

I hope this works out well for them. Looking forward to see the results.

I'm very upset with these assignments. ( Stemming from the unforgiveable marks at Canadians ).

23. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Good for them! that's a great move!!

24. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

That is good news. I am upset for them about the assignments and hope they can showcase themselves in the Senior B competitions. Their main problem has been injuries, so as long as they remain healthy and able to train, I am hoping that they will improve their stamina and be able to develop their programs to their fullest. I still remember being blown away by their long program at Skate Canada in Kingston 2 yrs ago. They have all the goods, so they just need some luck to go with it.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its good they move to work in ice dance school in summer. Thats what they need.
    But i a wonder Canada send them to DSC, but not to Z-Sh. I think this team in there style. So maybe SC didnt trust to Z-SH?

26. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Slate Canada doesn't tell skaters where to train.

This would be the skaters' decision, along with their families who are paying the bills (not Skate Canada).

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its like USA Federation never tell skaters what to do, but every year Z-Sh change 2-4 programs after USA traning Camp?

28. DORISPULASKI

Exactly, weird as that may sound.

USFS doesn't tell skaters where to train, but they tell coaches how to / what to choreograph, and they are very particular about skaters' costumes, too, which can be quite a nightmare (and expensive for the skaters, too).

I suspect that they don't tell skaters where to train because they are not proposing to pay for training directly... :shuffle:

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But maybe they could give advice?

30. DORISPULASKI

If people with professional skater or coach's credentials were involved in the 'suggestion,' they might get in hot water with the PSA. You get booted from the association/suspended/warned/punished, AFAIR, for poaching another coach's teams.

Robin Wagner (Sarah Hughes' old coach) got in difficulties for this, again, AFAIR, for poaching Angela Maxwell from Natalia Mishketunok, for example.

http://mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?21989-Robin-Wagner

That, and not wanting to get any bills/lawsuits from parents would be my relatively uninformed guess for why the USFS doesn't go there.