Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

thank you, flowerpower, kwanfan1818, and everyone else who has explained the GP assignments here. I am feeling more hopeful now.

I so wish I could attend on May 12th--I hope you all have fun! Please report back if you can!
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

3. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:D You're so rational and sensible..I can only hope Skate Canada will be equally sane.
  4. kppt

kppt New Member

Vanessa is skating with a guy from Denmark. They are training with MF & Patrice in Montreal, and will compete for Canada. Top 5 is so crowded IMO.
  5. sequins

sequins New Member

She is? Well that's just :D. Thanks!
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Nikolaj Sorensen, maybe? He last skated with Katelyn Good, coached by Dubreuil/Lauzon. Good/Sorensen were 14th in the preliminary round at Moscow Worlds competing for Denmark.

A Crone/Sorenson partnership would mean, assuming a release for him, that they could do international competitions in 2012-13, but couldn't do championships until 2013-2014, since Moscow Worlds were held so late in 2011, unless the ISU passed an exception because the circumstances were so exceptional, but only if he becomes a citizen of Canada by 1 July 2013 (Rule 109). Otherwise, as a Canadian resident, he can compete in the 2014-15 championships. (ETA: That's the singles rule I crossed out.) He's been training in Canada since 2009, and he may very well already be a Canadian Permanent Resident.
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Is it Nikolaj Sorensen?
  8. kppt

kppt New Member

Yes, confirmed on her fb page about a half hour ago. They will debut @ Lake Placid.
  9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I am very happy to hear Vanessa has a new partner. I was very disturbed that someone ofher calibre would have to quit competing. I really like her personality and her quick feet, and lightness. I don't know her partner, but I'm sure we'll all be hearing more soon. Perhaps she will have more of a connection with this new guy.. Good luck to them!!!!
  10. puglover

puglover Active Member

Wow, great news. I am a big fan of Vanessa as well. One more reason I just have to make it to Canadians this year. I sure hope Mr. puglover sees it that way.
  11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Alexandra post on facebook

This could be great FD :)
  12. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Just saw the news. :D I believe there is a heavy focus on the piano in this movie? I'm scouring youtube for good clips now, will post when I find them...

Found this series of videos (I've added a link for the first, the rest can be easily found from there) that contain what I think is the entire movie soundtack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4jLY_d2Iyg&feature=related

I'm SO excited for this FD I don't know how I'm gonna make it through the off season!!! This is gonna be a really awesome FD for them. <3 There are so many beautiful parts to this score that I can't even begin to imagine which ones they'll choose. BTW, totally love them for choosing a score by Morricone, one of my all time favourite composers (and a master of movie scores). Any work on who choreographed this FD?
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  13. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I agree. I did some listening and there are some gorgeous pieces of music for them to choose from. Now I'm wondering which ones :). Whatever, I think it's a great choice for them.
  14. skatingfan04

I'll admit, I was kind of hoping they would go for something a bit more out there, but after hearing this movie score, I'm totally sold. :D I think this is exacly the sort of thing that will hilight this team's beauty, flow and lines. There are far too many pieces in this score for us to ever figure out which ones they'll use lol, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they stick to tradition and debut this FD at Mariposa, and then come to Thornhill in August to compete it. This way we'll get a clearer idea before the season starts. I'm SO happy about this!!
  15. Bournekraatzfan

Thanks for the news, pani! I have listened to the music and I really like it! I can't wait til they debut their program!
  16. skatingfan04

Tonight is the COS show. :D Anyone going?
  17. iggie

iggie New Member

love the music in the link provided.
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

A couple of hours ago, PJ Kwong tweeted:

I hope this means some reports on her blog about the show.
  19. skatingfan04

I know. <3 I've had it stuck in my head all week. So gorgeous!
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

21. Bournekraatzfan

Thank you, Sylvia! These two always look great in photos. I love their costumes and wish I could see the performance. I hope everyone who attended had a fabulous time!
  22. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I know it's shallow, but damn, they are such a gorgeous couple! Hoping they have a great season this year. Thanks for the photo link, Sylvia!
  23. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Morricone's "The Legend of 1900" score is very varied through out the several (but not all) tracks that I listened to in youtube. I imagine "The Legend of the Pianist" will be part of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcofLYYH1yY&feature=related There are some great moments that can really highlight their line and relationship in this piece from 1:28+.
  24. Sylvia

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  25. skatingfan04

:D Those photos are GORGEOUS!! Thanks to Justine Chiu and Sylvia. The (lovely) costumes don't seem familiar, nor do the moves captured in the shot (at least to me), which would suggest a new EX. I'm now insanely curious to find out what they skated to. I need details!! :lol:
  26. skatingfan04

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Did they skates new FD?
  28. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

@skatingfan04

I'm glad you like my photos! Thanks for skaring them on here! :)
  29. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

They're gorgeous! Excellent work.

Out of curiosity since it hasn't been mentioned anywhere, what did P/I skate to?
  30. Sylvia

31. skatingfan04

Thank YOU! I've been looking at them over and over since last night. I'm glad I finally know who to thank (I've enjoyed many of your photos previous to this event as well). :D All of the shots from the show were beautiful.
  32. skatingfan04

I wasn't at the show, but I doubt it based on the pictures we've seen. Costumes aside, it seems that they performed an overhead lift, which is insanely cool :cool: and also very very illegal for competition. Besides, I expect that it is much too early in the season for a FD to be performance ready. I'd love a confirmtion on that, though.
  33. Daniskates93

Awe, that's so nice! I appreciate your kind words :) :$
  34. skatingfan04

:D Do you happen to know what music they used?
  35. Daniskates93

I can't remember for the life of me! Sorry
  36. skatingfan04

No worries. Your pictures were more than enough to satisfy my curiosity. :D
  37. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

So no GP assignment for Paul and Islam. I was hoping Skate Canada would give them one of the SC spots. I guess they've lost confidence in P&I.

Hopefully they'll get assigned to Nebelhorn and Finlandia.
  38. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sad P-I will not be at GP :( I hope they will be at SC and at "B" competitions.
  39. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

The three SC dance spots have already been assigned (Gilles/Poirier, Ralph/Hill, Virtue/Moir).

Interesting that SC had to give Ralph/Hill the SC spot to get them their one guaranteed assignment (Couldn't negotiate a place for them elsewhere? Granted, there are a limited number of GP slots these days, so maybe not.)

I'm sorry that Paul/Islam don't have a GP.
  40. Conga

Conga New Member

The reduction in GP spots really hurt this team as well as a number of skaters across the disciplines and federations.