Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks!

2. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

3. fan

fan Active Member

tidbit: they were working with tracy wilson a few weeks ago

4. skatingfan04

Nice.:D Maybe some time with her will give them a much needed confidence boost.

5. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I'm so hoping to see them looking more like themselves next week.:)
    All appendages crossed.

6. skatingfan04

Amen to that.:D Honestly though, even though it will be a tough break if they miss worlds, I just really want to see them have good, clean skates more than anything else. Given their season, I'm not expecting to see them skating at 100%, but I think it would give them a boost if they could get through the programs with some confidence, instead of looking scared they way that they have (understandably) all season. I still think they have a really good shot at the bronze, especially since G/P (who the judges seem to love way more that R/H for reasons I can't figure out) are ineligable this year. Fingers (and all other appendages) crossed!!

7. skatingfan04

8. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

9. skatingfan04

10. skatingfan04

Anyone happen to know if/when the senior dance practices will be broadcast on SkateBuzz??

11. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I just hope it's not a case of , first they give you a treat ,then they snatch it away... In the absence of any real information , I'm just planning to go there at the scheduled practice times, and cross my fingers...

12. skatingfan04

I think we might be out of luck.:( I believe there was a senior dance practice this afternoon, and Skatebuzz didn't show any of it. I guess we'll just have to wait until Friday to see P/I and the others.:blah:

13. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

^
    They may only be showing main arena practices (i.e. no cameras in operation at the practice rink).

14. skatingfan04

Thanks! I didn't think of that. Maybe there's hope after all.:D

15. skatingfan04

Sorry to go off topic, but I just finished watching jr dance and I was really impressed and happy for Poulin/Servant, who won after finishing 5th in 2010 and 4th last year (I've been a fan of theirs since the beginning). :D Did anyone happen to catch it?

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There's a discussion in the Canadian Nationals sub-forum in Kiss and Cry.

17. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I checked out skatebuzz..and today they were showing practices from the main arena. I'm on the pacific coast but I will definitely get up for the dance practice ( SD ) 7 am Pt, 11am AT.

18. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

I hope they show them tomorrow. They didn't stream today's morning dance practice.

19. skatingfan04

LOVED the new choreography. A lot. They looked SOO much better than they have during the seaon. Shame about the placement, though. It seemed that it was the technical levels that got them in the end. Still within striking distance of R/H, but they've got some work to do.

20. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I love the fact that they no longer look like V/M clones, but are developing their own style.

Maybe they never really were clones, but they certainly looked like it to me in the past. With this short dance I can start to appreciate them for their own selves, as the very good ice dancers that they are.

21. skatingfan04

I was actually just thinking that as I watched them. I never thought they were clones, but this program really seemed to display a style that is uniquely theres. I was impressed.:D

22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Now all they have to do is stay injury free for next year's Grand Prix series. They really need to get out there and get some exposure on the circuit. They, like W/P, have so much potential as a young team and I can see them moving up as long as they remain healthy. Here's hoping they have a Kick A$$ FS and nail everything.

23. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

ITA. I think they just need a little luck on their side. I remember how impressed I was when I saw them at SC 2010, and I know you were there too, Clarie. Here was this young team that delivered a spellbinding performance in their senior debut of the GP circuit. I loved the subtlety and nuance of their SD and cannot wait to see them skate their FD. Best of luck to them and all the other teams.

24. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Their SD is definitely one of my faves this year. The sensuality and smoothness of the first section is lovely. They are a very well-matched team and I hope they continue to improve. Oh, and I really like their FD, too. So different and can't wait to see it again.

25. skatingfan04

:wall: The fact that they came so close actually makes this more painful. I get it, though. They just had too many little mistakes to make up the ground that they needed. Performance wise, it was a beautiful skate though, wasn't it?:D All in all, a really impressive way to end their nightmare of a season.

On a completely irrelevant side note, I don't think Alexandra has ever looked more beautiful that she did tonight.:)

The fact that they came so close to beating Ralph & Hill, even though R/H were clean, is really encouraging, though. Despite R/H's massive improvements this season, it doesn't look like P/I will have any problems beating them next season, assuming they're healthy. What worries me, however, is Gilles & Poirier. Or rather, the way the judges reacted to them. G/P really didn't impress me all that much, but P/I or anyone lese won't have a chance against them if the judges just hand them marks that they don't deserve. Honestly, their score was a complete joke.:huh:

26. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

What benefit is gained by "overscoring" G/P though?

27. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Ah-h-h-h... the colour of that dress was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. We can't discuss the competition here , but ...but...

28. skatingfan04

I wish I knew.

29. sliver98

sliver98 Banned Member

Gilles and poirier were much faster than them they really need to improve their speed and power if they want to become contenders.

30. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I suspect the marks were influenced by their unique and interesting choreography, some unquestionably strong individual elements (Paul can carry them - literally - in the lifts, for instance), and turning a blind eye to the lack of unison (perfectly understandable given their short time together, but also disguised by the program construction).

The advantage to "overscoring" is obvious. If this is to be Canada's "next" great team, they'll need to come out of the gate strong on the GP next year. Aren't they eligible for assignments (other than SC) with Paul as a "comeback" skater? I'm sure they'll get a Senior B assignment in early fall as well.

I'm sure it was also in the back of judges' minds that "positive" judging was not going to impact a WC/4C assignment. I'm sure this program would not have been marked as kindly internationally, but the judges won't have to face criticism for overmarking as this is it for the program.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012