Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skatingfan04, Mar 13, 2011.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Good grief, it just gets worse and worse.

2. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking :(

That poor girl - I hope she is okay.

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I hope all this make them stronger, then ever!

4. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

:yikes::eek:Surgery? Based on what I read on Twitter last night, I was under the impression that she had gone back to watch the event from the stands. Guess I was wrong. Yeesh.

5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

minor collision 4 mins into practice before the comp... I landed on a blade and kindaaaa cut my leg :S

This what Alexandra post on fer FB page

6. kppt

kppt New Member

Apparently she lost a lot of blood...and yes, surgery was required. Glad she is back home and healing:)

7. skatingfan04

:eek: Yeesh, she sure downplayed the injury during the CBC interview then. Brave girl.

8. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I'm just so devastated for these two! It seems like it will be a very tall order to get to where they wanted to be for Nationals. I hope they have a chance .

9. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

What incredibly bad luck for P&I this season. Hope things turn around for them soon.

I think moving somewhere part-time would be a good idea. Kind of like what W&P did for awhile splitting their time between Toronto and Detroit. I would love to see P&I train full time with Shpilband/Zoueva or Camerlengo but I doubt Mitch would ever leave his father, nor would David Islam want to "give them up".

One thing I'm curious about is why they didn't use Dubreuil & Lauzon for the FD this year. They did such a good job with last year's number. It was way better than their program this year IMO.

10. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)I agree a part-time arrangement could work well for them under the circumstances ( family) especially if they don't have peers to train with.

I think I'd :swoon: if they could go to Z/S..

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes - i think this team need to go to ice dance school, where they will work not only on skating, but on overall strenghts, with dance coaches, ect.
    Not sure Camerlengo will take them, because nw he work with W-P.
    As for Z-Sh - i think they could. After V-M wil retier they nedd toave strong team from Canada again.

12. skatingfan04

:) I think Zoueva in particular would work well with them. She seems to really appreciate elegance, and has a talent for hilighting that in her programs, like she has always done with Tessa. There must be very few ice dancers trained extensively in Ballet (as Tessa and Alexandra both are), and I'm sure Marina would make use of Alexandra's elegance, and Mitchell's as well. I've always been impressed by him and Scott Moir, because they both have to skate with clasically trained dancers, which could potentially make them look poor (in terms of posture, extension, etc) by comparison, but neither of them ever do. They always look as elegant as their partners.

13. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Have there been any hints about to Alex's recovery ?

14. skatingfan04

I haven't seen anything.:( There's quite a gap between NHK and Nationals, so I hope she uses the time to take it easy and make sure she's 100% healed.

On a side note, did anyone catch Gilles/Poirier's SD from challenge? They look quite good for a new team. They scored a 58, but seeing how this is a domestic competition and not an international one, it's hard to judge where they will stand at nationals. They seem to have left Ralph/Hill in the dust at sectionals, though, so I suspect they will be a challenge for Paul/Islam as well, given the season they've had. Does anyone know if Gilles/Poirier are eligable for worlds this season?

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Piper Gilles won't be eligible to compete for Canada until the 2012-13 season.

16. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Alex and Mitch did an interview with CTV News. :) Their segment begins at about 54:35. Looks like they're already back in training, albeit with some expected restrictions.

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

That's good to hear....thanks for posting lavenderblue :)

18. skatingfan04

Thanks for the link! :D Nice to see them back on the ice. They seem to be in good spirits, which is awesome considering the season they've had.

19. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Nice to see them in good spirits, I really like this team, hope they come back stronger... Good luck at the Nationals.

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Agree - good luck to them!
    Gillis-Porie had very high marks at Challeng, so it will be difficult for Alexandra and Mitch to make team this year, but i hope they will made this :)

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Gillis won't be released by USFS in time for this year's championships, even if Gilles/Poirier podium at Canadian Nationals.

Mitchell/Islam's top competition for the third spot at 4C's and Worlds is Ralph/Hill.

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Why? In 2010 Piper skated at JWCh 12 March. So why she couldnt skate for Caada at WCh in 2012?

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Because USFS can refuse to release her for up to four years after she last medaled at Jr. Worlds -- remember Morgan Matthews? -- and she said in an interview that they told her they'd release her after this season.

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

When she get medal at JWCh? I thought ISU rule is she must have two years quarantine, if Federation will not release her.

25. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Gilles/ Poirier's marks were much too high at challenge. If they got on the podium at Canadians , it would have to mean both P/I and R/H had a disaster.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sorry, not Jr. Worlds. She medalled at JGP in the 2009-2010 season.

The ISU rule is that she can't compete in championships for another nation for two years after her last international competition for the US AND that she be released by USFS according to the USFS's own release rules, unless USFS refuses and she has/gets citizenship from another country. Then the new Federation can file for an exception. Gilles doesn't have Canadian citizenship.

Even if she did have Canadian citizenship, USFS refused the release this season, and Skate Canada wanted to cross the USFS, Skate Canada couldn't file for an exception with the ISU until two years after Gilles' last competition, which would be March 2012, and it isn't clear even if the ISU made a snap approval before Nice whether G/P'd be eligible to be a provisional entry at Worlds, given how Worlds entries must be filed at least 30 days before Worlds, in February 2012.

When Morgan Matthews was denied release, the USFS release rules were published here. If the skater had certain high results, USFS can refuse to release the skater for up to four seasons after their last competition for US, which for Gilles was 2010 Jr. Worlds. According to Gilles, they are holding her for two seasons.

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think they could be in team and they could have minimum score at Monblan Throhy in March

28. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Pani, from earlier interviews it seems that Piper and Paul have acknowledged and accepted that she will not be released until the 2012-2013 season. This year they want to make a splash nationally and build up their skills as a team. Then next year I imagine they will be eligible for GP's under the split team rules and/or could be assigned as a host pick to Skate Canada.

29. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I think waiting until next year is a smart move. (I know they don't have a choice.) With reputation being so important in ice dance, I think another year together, before they compete internationally, will serve them well.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  30. skatingfan04

:DJust wanted to wish all who are celebrating a wonderful holiday season!!

Canadian nationals are just around the corner, so hopefully we'll be seeing a healthy P/I skate soon.