Alexander Majorov insults the Swedish federation on Facebook (and later apologizes)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by siberia82, Dec 21, 2010.

1. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Oh don't mind me. That term is being thrown around so much lately here (US) in politics and so randomly that I'm starting to have a reflex reaction to it. I guess I'm a little too sensitive. :drama:

Plus, I've never got to use the soapbox smilie before. That was fun.

On topic :shuffle:, no one who can affect his skating career will care about this if he comes back next year and is *clearly* better than AS and KB (I like them, but...not a monumental task), so it's a wash.

2. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

lol we'd posted about PCness at the same time anyway.
    I find the term offensive as well, particularly in this context. And I'm one who thinks inventing flowery terms to disguise concepts that bother us silly in general....

When I worked in Ukraine, I tried to explain to my colleagues that it just wasn't a nice thing to say, but I should never have even bothered. From then on they made it into a "joke" and thought it was a really funny thing to say when they wanted to irritate me. That and making disabled jokes...
    And this was a really nice bunch of people all involved in voluntary work for NGO's in orphanages for disabled children :scream: So I can see that Majorov's stupidity doesn't necessarily entail him deliberately wanting to make a racist statement.
    It doesn't make it any better though. Absolutely insane to post such a thing on facebook. Very, very immature.

3. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Yes. It must seem terrible to him now, but it will only ruin his career if he lets it. He can also overcome this just by realizing he did something monumentally ill advised and not making the same mistake again. It's called being mature and for most 19 year olds it's still a work in progress.

I remember when a young sakter named Alexei Yagudin spent some time being widely loathed by serious fans for various stupid behaviors (including a reported racial slur).
    Ultimately he was able to get his act together and managed to win over a lot of those who had disapproved.

millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  4. meierfan

meierfan New Member

He has now received an official warning from the Swedish federation:
    http://iof2.idrottonline.se/SvenskaKonstakningsforbundet/Media/Nyhetsarkiv/Disciplinaratgardforkrankandeuttalande/

I'll try to translate:
    The Swedish Figure Skating Federation has today decided to give Alexander Majorov a warning.
    The warning is given due to the fact that Alexander Majorov went out on Facebook yesterday and expressed his unhappiness, in a derogatory way, over the fact that he was not elected to represent Sweden in the European Championships.

"I have called Alexander and read the warning to him. We had a good conversation. He asked me to thank the board and the national team board from him for showing understanding over his disappointment. Alexander never meant to hurt or put anyone down. He accepts the warning and promises that it will never happen again," says Maria Meyer-Martins, the president of the Swedish Figure Skating Federation.

The warning:
    In conjunction with the try outs for the European Championships in figure skating, You have, on the 20th of December 2010, made derogatory comments on Facebook against the Swedish Figure Skating Federation. Because of this, the Swedish Figure Skating Federation has today decided to take disciplinary actions.

The board hereby present You with a warning, as the board finds Your conduct to be completely unacceptable. Your behavior goes against our agreement regarding being a good role model and representative for Swedish figure skating.

We want to remind You that a warning means that You may face more severe disciplinary actions if any similar behavior is repeated in the future.

5. Squibble

Squibble New Member

The fact that he's "of Russian origin" is and ought to be irrelevant. He's spent virtually his entire life in Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Majorov

Now, while it may well be true that Swedes don't realize exactly how offensive the "N", it's not as if they have no idea at all that that word -- or the "F" word, which he also used -- is offensive.

From his original message, it seems clear to me that he did mean to offend, though he may not have fully apprehended how offensive he was being. He is, however, an adult, and that is a risk he was taking. He should be prepared to suffer the consequences, whatever they may be.

6. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

completely agree.
    as for the words he used, it seems to me more a sequence took out of a movie than real intents of using that particular words: I wouldn't call them racist in this specific context.

7. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

oh dear...how totally immature:wall:

and don't assume that we scandinavinas are so ignorant we don't realise the n-word is offensive and terrible, we all know, but Sasha, and lots and lots of youngsters in Sweden and Norway use this word as a way of speak....they use it without even thinking about it...

I play hockey on a team full of boys 14-16 y.o. and their language is so...:confused: they use all these terrible words, like Majorov-language, like the most natural thing..p-word, n-word, you name it...

so, my guess is Majorov is about 14 year old mental level....lol....and didn't realise it was not such a good idea posting his inner emotions on fb like that:duh:

I'm glad the Swedish federation gave him a warning and speaks in clear words that this is not acceptable. what a child:lol:

but, Sweden needs a scandal too, right?? when will we have one in Norway???

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I too think this incident is blown way out of proportion. Even an old fart like me knows that kids nowadays blurt out anything and everything on Facebook. Posting something for the world to see is just like sitting their private living room shooting off their mouths with close friends.

OTOH, I don't see why he would remotely think his performance at the Nationals deserves a spot on the team to Worlds.

9. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what Wikipedia mentions, but I think that he moved to Sweden much later. I seem to remember having read that as the family was moving from Russia they also contacted the Finnish Skating Federation, but got an answer from Swedish Skating Federation quickly. All that makes me believe that he must have been some kind of a skater already in the time of their moving?

10. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Except for the fact that it isn't.

11. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Except that youths (or, as Joe Pesce says in My Cousin Vinny, "youts") nowadays think it is.

12. meierfan

meierfan New Member

Yes, this. When I met him, maybe 6 years ago, his Swedish was very poor. I don't know how it is today though.

13. Squibble

Squibble New Member

The following article was publishe in 2006:

Alexander Majorov times two – meet the father/son team

Majorov's father:

Majorov himself:

Really? According to the author of the Absolute Skating article:

The dude is Swedish, through and through.

ETA:

Majorov Press Conference in Swedish: "I Am Not a Bad Person"

According to the Google translation, Majorov said he's "not a bad person," he just wante to be comforted by his friends, he would never say such things to an adult, and he's "not a racist."

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Word.

1) Racist + Sexist speech

2) Admitting that he doesn't feel Swedish at all, that Swedes are a separate group to him - a PR disaster for somebody who's supposed to represent this country

And it's not like he's an immigrant who just moved there a few years ago. He's spent most of his life in Sweden.

3) Immaturity more akin to a 6 year old throwing a strop than to somebody who's supposed to be an adult.

Also, whilst it's interesting and valid to explain how his thinking might have worked, racism, sexism, homophobia and other forms of discrimination are never ok.

It is not ok to use words like these in public. It was posted on Facebook and his friends don't just include his closest mates but a large number of people, a lot of whom he barely (if at all) knows.

To all the people who say that he isn't being racist and that this is being blown out of proportion:

Do you not realise that discrimination and all its institutional and psychological effects exist precisely because of speech like this existing in public discourse and being acceptable?

I'm not saying that he should be stoned to death. He made a mistake, he could have not fully understood what he was saying and so on, and so forth.

But it needs to be clearly said that language like this isn't appropriate, shouldn't be used and yes it's racist and sexist to use words like these. Using them as insults implicitly stigmatises those groups.

Is he racist and sexist? He's probably just a bit ignorant. ;) But the words he used definitely are.

15. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I used the term blown out of proportion because it has beenÂ….3 pages worth???

I never said what he said was acceptable, far from it. He realized what he said in the heat of anger was wrong, took it down, apologized and was given a warning by his federation. I'm sure he clearly knows now (if he didn't know then) that what he said was not acceptable in any language or country.

That 19 year old learned a valuable lesson and I hope his parents did as well. I am granting the same leniency I would want for my kid's mouthy mistakes.

Is he racist or sexist, no, just uneducated.

16. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Thank you so much for the translation, meierfan! :)

I hope Majorov realizes how fortunate he is that he got a slap on the wrist. We've heard stories of people insulting their boss or their workplace on Facebook and getting fired for it. I'm not saying that the Swedish federation would've dumped him or anything like that, but they could've denied him the chance to go to senior Worlds this season since he needs to mature a little. (The top 3 Swedish men will have to battle for the 2 Worlds spots at the Nordic Championships.)

Wait, where did he say this? :wideeyes: I might have missed something with Google Translate, or perhaps this was mentioned in either the video or radio interview.

17. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Did you read his original Facebook message, first link in the first post in this thread?

"F***ing Swedish pussies idiots n*****s! ...."

:yikes:

18. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

Actually, I was the one who started this thread. :p And you must have missed my post which contained the links for the video and radio interview because you reposted the latter unnecessarily. (Not that it really matters or anything. ;))

I assumed when Sasha used the word "Swedish" in his status update, he was referring to the federation, not Swedes in general. I may not know this young man, but based on other articles I've read about him within the last couple of months, he identifies himself as being more Swedish than Russian.

Tony Wheeler spoke to Majorov about this incident, so at least English-speaking FS fans have one statement from him which doesn't require Google Translate :lol:: http://www.flutzingaround.com/2010/12/alexander-majorov-apologizes-for.html

I certainly don't blame his mother for being furious... Not only did Sasha potentially ruin his own career, but he could've ruined his parents' as well. Luckily it never reached that point, but the tabloids could've made accusations that the Majorovs didn't raise their boy properly and whatnot.

19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I sure am glad it wasn't Patrick Chan who spouted that kind of verbal diarhhea.;)
    :lol::lol::lol:

20. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

The thread is only this short because the skater involved is a relative unknown.

We would be well into thread #2 by now if Chan had said this (1000 posts per thread for the uninitiated).

21. Mafke

Mafke New Member

He probably feels more Swedish in Russia but has the Russian thing to fall back on when things don't go his way in Sweden. In other words, he's human....

22. Squibble

Squibble New Member

They don't have to. :p

As for the "Swedish pussies" bit, I would say it could be read either way. Not that it matters. I think he wanted to be outrageous and offensive, and he succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. ;)

23. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

True and there haven't been any major competitions the past couple days to occupy our time. :lol:

24. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Alexander Majorasshole

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  25. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Half of the posts being by apologists who say Chan's vocabulary and mastery of language is so far superior to that of other skaters that he's allowed several epithets under current regulations. :p

26. luCN

luCN New Member

wow,he may go to another sw.... Switzerland got 3 spot and couldn't find a good skater :)

as for Chan,after meet him several times in person,I found he is a intersting,cute and handsome man,and get along sooooooooo well with every skaters and workers,strange!now I curious why the media always try to make him like a ugly devil,just because he's not white?...

27. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

No racial issue with Chan. Patrick has made a number of inappropriate comments to media regarding other skaters, along with other issues that would be better for him not to mention. The first time I chalked it up to being naive, but he has continued in this manner for a long time.

28. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Majarov is not a world championship medalist or a GPF winner, in fact he made very little headway as a junior. So many people are not aware of him or not impressed by his skating to bother writing a comment about. Saying that there is no excuse for making that kind of statement.

P.S. why did you have to bring Chan into a thread about Majarov. Are you that obsessed with Chan that you see the every issue w.r.t to how it will effect Chan.

29. poths

poths Well-Known Member

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Just because many young people think it is doesn't make it so. People can lose their jobs or suffer consequences far greater than they would have by posting things publicly on Facebook than they would if they just vented to a few of their closest friends (even if a few of their closest friends have big mouths).