Alexander Johnson cheer thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by luenatic, Feb 5, 2013.

1. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

What he did at US Nationals was fantastic. I've discovered him, and that's a good thing for me.
    His reaction after his program was nice.

luenatic and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Fudove

Fudove New Member

My first trip to Nationals and my favorite performance to boot!

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Nice to see he's getting a chance to compete internationally and hopefully get some ranking points. Hope he has two great skates and enjoys the experience....when was the last time he had an international assignment 2009? I know a repeat of his Nationals LP is asking for a lot, but here's hoping :40beers:

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

This thread made me come into the Trash Can.

My interest in figure skating had been waning, but then I saw Alex skate at Nationals. I'm so excited for him to be able to go to Challenge Cup.

:encore:

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that Alex can build on his wonderful performance at Nationals.

7. casken

casken Well-Known Member

IMO his FS was the winning program on the PCS at Nationals. No other program even came close, even Abbott's.

Best of luck to him at the Challenge Cup! :cheer:

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

His 3lutz half loop 3flip sequence was just incredible.

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread. :cheer:

I've always enjoyed watching Alexander's skating, and it is such a pleasure to see him perform so well at Nationals. It was particularly touching after his performance to see Alex sobbing happily and to see his coach and choreographer, Tom Dickson, wiping away tears too. Everything came together so beautifully in that program. Do you think it would have been as poignant if Alex had skated to a vocal version of the music? I don't. This instrumental version works so much better with the choreography than vocals would.

Kudos to Alexander, and kudos to Tom Dickson. :swoon:

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I remember Johnson from the previous three Nationals (2010 - 17th; 2011 - 16th; 2012 - 15th) and was glad to see him finally make the top 10. :cheer:

11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

This was beautiful! :encore: Now, explain to me why NBC didn't bother to show this performance during their coverage of US Nationals. :(

12. Aaron MB Fan

Aaron MB Fan Active Member

Alex was easily the best performance of the entire event for me. He epitomized all that I love about skating. Great technical ability combined with amazing artistry and pure emotion. I could watch that performance over and over. And his reaction and the reaction of Tom was just icing on the cake. It's performances like his that make me love this sport so much!

13. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

NBC shows the top 9 male skaters after the SP.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

This year, NBC showed the final 2 groups of men live (10 free skates out of 20 total).

Johnson skated #7 (2nd group of the 4 FS groups). NBC should have found a way to squeeze his taped performance into the live broadcast, IMO.

ETA that Alex Johnson's last journal posted on his official site was back in October 2011: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/alexanderjohnson/
    Hopefully his site will be updated in the near future! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  15. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

They needed that time to hype Gracie Gold.

16. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I LOVE THIS THREAD. I AM NOW ADDICTED. He's the best of both worlds. nice

17. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

:lol:

Seriously though, I now am actually happy to have spent the money to buy access on the icenetwork - just getting the chance to discover him (it was the first time I watched US Nats, and I never saw him skate before) was well worth it

And I also can't believe that he got assigned to Challenge Cup, meaning I know have a chance to see him live :cheer: Living in Europe and not travelling often to the US, I didn't think that would EVER happen ^-^

18. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I still cannot believe this performance. The jumps, the edging, the choreography, interpretation... oh... my...GOODNESS!!! I wish more than anything that this wont be the best we see from him. I hope that the wrong people dont get brought in to "help" him and he lose what he's got. I hope so much but most of all I hope i get to see him again and more often.

Did you see the pattern into the loop and the jump itself? The BEST thing is discovering something fresh and new thats beautiful and right under your nose. ahhh... i cant stop watching it.

19. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

That and we needed the... what... 4-5 minute interview... with Evan L. during the warm-up of the second-to-last group. Which could have easily been used as time to show Alexander's skate. I was hoping/praying/whatever that NBC would find a way to show it, since it looked very likely that he might have scored enough to place in the top 6 at that point... though since they didn't find time to show David/Ladwig's pewter-medal winning free skate the day before, I didn't think it would happen. :(

It was the highlight FS of the men's event for me as well. Clean skate with a beautiful genuine performance. What more could any skater dream of at nationals? :)

He's a great kid. Talked with him a bit a few years ago at Governing Council, without realizing "who" he was. Bright guy with a good head on his shoulders, and really down to earth. I wish him the best this upcoming season!

20. FridaCat

FridaCat New Member

Alexander's free skate to was my favorite program of all of Nationals (and I saw almost all events from Novice through Senior, including some Intermediates)! He has exquisite line and extension and brilliant choreography. I like his modern dance style. I've re-watched that program several times since. I remember him as a Junior because of his textbook camel spin.

21. Sylvia

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Joining the cheer- Alexander had a great year, National's LP was magic. With my crush on Dickson's work and with Johnson skating brilliantly I hope they continue their success into next year!

23. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Those edges are beautiful.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  24. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the video! Wonderful performance and I love the choreography as well. :)

25. Sylvia

Alex tweeted he will "land 10 hours later than planned" in Amsterdam but was able to fly out, finally, last night (Colorado Springs to LAX to London to AMS).

ETA:

February 22, Friday
    20:00 - 22:15 Senior men - short program (14:00 - 16:15 Eastern time)

February 23, Saturday
    18:30 - 21:00 Senior men - free skating (12:30 - 15:00 Eastern time)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I showed his Nationals LP to some of my non-skating friends and both of them loved it. It's too bad NBC didn't find a way to show it on their broadcast since it was *that* good. Looking forward to a couple of clean skates from him in the Challenge Cup :).

27. luenatic

Wishing Alex a great skate!

28. luenatic

29. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

30. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Such a close score to Joubert's! :)

I just want Alex to skate as well as he did in Omaha. :swoon: