Alena Leonova wins Russian competition ( possible 3rd Worlds spot decider )

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk8ingcoach, Feb 19, 2013.

1. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

2. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

3. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Yay! Although with the current field of ladies I really dont see any 3rd Russian Lady breaking top ten unless she skates both programs clean!

This is my prediction with Leonova.....

1. Yuna Kim
    2. Mao Asada
    3. Carolina Kostner
    4. Akiko Suzuki
    5. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva
    6. Ashley Wagner
    7. Kanako Murakami
    8. Adelina Sotnikova
    9. Kiira Korpi
    10. Valentina Marchei
    11. Gracie Gold
    12. Alena Leonova
    13. Zijun Li
    14. Kaetlyn Osmond

4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I guess its almost certain she gets the last spot ?
    Gosviani bombed and she would get lower pcs than Alena

Leonova skated her best FS this season I guess.

5. SLIVER

SLIVER Well-Known Member

Marchei above Gold, Leonova and Osmond lol??

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Did you see Marchei's two programs at recent Euros? She is extraordinarily great and consistent, compared to those three.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It's important that Leonova beat gosviani on tes. Agafanova got higher Tes then both of them (of eligibles).

8. SLIVER

SLIVER Well-Known Member

Oh please, Ive know Valentina longer than most on this board but its taken her almost 10years to put programmes like that together. Inconsistent, she definitely is not. Osmond won the first GP she ever entered, Leonova is the world silver medal winner and Gold's free at US nationals was the best jumping display I have ever seen bar Harding (and that includes Ito and kim).

9. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

i just watched gosviani's programme (haven't watched leonova's yet) - not as bad as i thought. She just singled the axel and opened up on the double toe loop at the end of the triple toe-double toe combo. I'm so sad for gosviani :( but wish Leonova the best in Canada :)

10. aims

aims New Member

Hey, let's take it easy:D. Someone else's predictions might or might not agree with your own, but that's life:respec:

11. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Congrats to Alena. I thought she was almost out of it due to her sixth place finish in the SP-but she came roaring back! :)

I'm curious about Nicole Gosviani's heritage. Her name doesn't sound very Russian. :)

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

13. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I think Leonova has the ability to place a bit better than 12th place if she skates well, and I guess they switched to her previous season's lp because she wasn't having any success with this season's.

Also, remember that Worlds is being held in Canada, and if Kaetlyn Osmond skates decently, she will certainly land much higher than 14th place.

As far as the U.S. ladies, I think Ashley definitely has the potential to beat Liza (she's already beaten her this season), and if any of the top four ladies falter, Ashley could possibly squeeze in to repeat at 4th and potentially could make the podium, skating lights out with no mistakes.

If Gracie brings it in both programs and doesn't falter under nerves, she could place 8th or 9th. She's certainly better overall than Korpi and Marchei.

The placements could be in any order, but on the basis of potential, of World setting dynamics, plus who has been competing all season:

Mao
    Yu Na
    Akiko
    Kostner
    Ashley
    Liza
    Murakami
    Gold
    Sotnikova
    Osmond
    Leonova
    Korpi
    Zijun
    Marchei

14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Compared to the others, I don't think Marchei has the base technical content to be assured of top 10 this year - as it is, her placement at 2013 Worlds may not matter as much if there isn't a 3rd Italian lady who can meet the minimum TES requirements...

15. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

For me, after Kanako I think they could be in any order. They have all showed that they are inconsistent. However after Euros and 4CC and other performances this season, I think she is most likely to pull it together. My point was though that either way I don't see Leonova doing to well....

16. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I'm suprised at how high everyone is putting Akiko. She's skated okay all season, but hasn't exactly had an extraordinary free skate all season. She is one of my favorites though and I would love to see her do well.

But honestly, this is going to be some world championships... I don't think we've had nearly the same caliber of skaters since 2007 Worlds.

17. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Roberta Rodeghiero has already met both World min TES scores.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I hope Leonova gets sent. If not, what was the point of holding the skate-off?

That's the only strong program Gold has skated all season, though. :p

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Akiko had a brilliant long program at 4cc. She seems to have broken out of her slump.

20. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

That peacock dress worries me.. im so superstitious...

21. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Bleh. Not only is this her all-time worst LP program, it's one of my least favorite programs by any skater ever. It literary bores me to tears.

And that wasn't a good performance. botched the 3-3 attempt, toe-axeled all three double toes, and her lutz and flips weren't done well or with any height. Only jumps I wouldn't give -ve GOEs to are the loop (and that's pushing it with the 5-minute prep) and the 2axel. She earned her spot at worlds, but I hope she dumps this sorry excuse of a program. I'd rather her botch Poeta or Aranjuez instead

22. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

I agree! Can't say I've been this excited for the ladies event in quite a while.

23. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Congrats to Leonova!! She may be in a bit of a rough patch but in the end she is the better skater of the two (comparing to Gosviani). Hoping she gets the worlds spot.

24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Her surname is Georgian. Not peach cobbler Georgian. Churchkhela Georgian. ;)

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She isn't. :p

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Kanako's placement could vary a lot based on the caller and how around her jumps are on that day...could make the difference between a 4th vs like 12th place finish honestly. I hope Gosviani goes. I like her. She's skated well at all the events she's competed at starting with Nationals so I think that should count for something considering this was the first decent competition Leonova has had all season. Just because Leonova has a reputation cushion and the potential to score higher doesn't mean she should necessarily be given the spot, as the 3rd entrant the placement issue really is not pertinent anyways. Plus maybe Nikol will get SWP bonus at Worlds, she really is quite the beauty.

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Leonova is the more experienced and accomplished of the two but not the better one.

28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Question: Was this competition officially made as a skate-off for Leonova vs Gosviani / Menshov vs Kotvun (who didn't even skate here)? or was it just a regular national competition that they hold every year around this time that PEOPLE BELIEVE to be Leonova / Menshov's last chance to make a case?

I ask because if this was meant to be a skate off for the 3rd ladies spot and the sole men spot, why wouldn't Kotvun have skated?

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

What the Russian Federation said was that Gosviani, Leonova, Menshov, Gachinski and Kovtun would be monitored at this competition before they made the final decision regarding the Worlds team.

Which basically allows them to still do whatever they want because they never said that the highest placed skater wins the spot on the team. ;)

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Leonova really showed her worth last season when everyone dismissed her as a placeholder for Tuk, Sot and Lip but she went on to medal at Worlds. But then again she has just been utterly disappointing this season. Strategically I think giving her a kick in the pants (by not sending her to Worlds) is a good thing.

Whoever that is going to Worlds between her and Gosviani is not going to be relied upon for keeping 3 spots anyway, and Gosviani did decently enough at Nationals and Euros to merit the Fed giving her a chance at Worlds. It's not like Leonova had a great season and only bombed Nationals. Meanwhile should Lip's jumps desert her after her growth spurt and the Polinas (and Leonova herself as well as Makarova) continue their inconsistencies, Gosviani can be a possibility for Sochi. It's always good to have another back up with some international experience.