Albena Denkova: "There were days when I cried from hunger."

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by cocovica, Jun 27, 2012.

1. cocovica

cocovica New Member

My version of bulgarian article about Albena:
    http://www.krasobru.4fan.cz/albena-denkova-byly-dny-kdy-jsem-brecela-hlady (please, use google translate;))

english summary:

- After her son was born last year, Albena put on 25 kg:eek:... she realized she is not able to skate anymore if she doesnt do something about it.. she was on a strict diet... just tasteless chicken with green salad and water everyday...but she managed it...started to practice and she is back to her "old" form now...
    - Albena and Maxim are supposed to skate at exhibition on London OG to promote the Olympics 2014 in Sochi

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

3. cocovica

cocovica New Member

well...sometimes it is a bit mess, that's true...the basics are in english summary in here at least;)

4. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible (if inadvisable) to gain 50 lbs during pregnancy. My sister-in-law gained 65 lbs.

5. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Maxim could have tried that same diet,too. :scream:

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Haha, I think he might have needed it MORE. :p

7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't know how he looks now, but at least some months ago he was more fit than he had been for years.

8. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Thank you cocovica.

Here is the TV interview with Albena "Holiday Station".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnKM2j0D4-Y

Quik Summary:

About ”Cup of Professionals” show .
    She said that was very interesting and she never expected that after 5-6 years, since she and Maxim ended their competitive career, she’ll get the same excitement . The show was more like competition than entertainment.10 couples had to switch partners , adjust to different styles of skating and search for something original, complicated and interesting for the skaters and the audience. It was big challenge especially for her after the birth of her and Maxim’s child. She gained 25 kilograms and it was difficult to loose them in short time. There was a time when she thought that this was the end of her skating .As soon as she got in Moscow the sport spirit came back and with Maxim’s help and strict diet ( small piece of lemon chicken and lettuce salad) she regained her strength and skills. It was hard and daring to skate with different skaters, especially those from pair skating but she tried her best not to let her partners down. At first she thought that she won’t be able to do pair’s elements and lifts and was happy as a kid when she did her first high lift with Alexey Tikhonov. Her two favorite performance were with him and Peter Tchernichev.

About the Sochi 2014 presentation during Olympic Games in London.
    Albena explained that Russian Olympic Committee decided to make Sochi park within Hyde Park and to promote the 2014 Winter Games with Averbukh’s “grandiose” “City Lights” show. She and Maxim are going back to Russia for rehearsals in July and then to London for the show.

About their work with Brian Joubert.
    She agreed that Brian has many fans in Bulgaria .She said that was very pleasant and interesting to work with him. The first time they worked with him it was kind of difficult but this year is easier because they already have familiar working routine .Now they know his weaknesses and strengths, what he can or can‘t do, what he wants or doesn‘t want and they can catch up faster and work more conveniently. She also spoke about his plans to compete until Sochi 2014.She continued that sports longevity is the way to create legends. She is not sure they will stay with him until Sochi but for now he is satisfied with LP choreography and he is going to Sofia to work with them on SP. He wants them to go with him to some competitions but everything needs to be coordinated with their schedule and child.

About Daniel and the challenges of the motherhood.
    She said that he changed everything in her life and she tries to spent every moment with him. She is happy and for her the motherhood is not burden but joy. She postponed her come back on the ice for 10 months. She had to fight her desire to stay with the child and had to force herself to get back. She realized that even though ice skating is her beloved job she may be able to do it only for limited amount of time. For her is different to give birth when you are in your twenties and later. She worries more than her younger sister and tries her best to teach her son properly. He is the first male child in her family .Now he spends more time with his cousin Silvia and they enjoy each others company even though he is more active and she is more coquettish. She doesn’t like to look far ahead. As a parent she’ll try to give him good education, maybe make him learn languages and enroll him in one or two spot activities in order to spent his energy .She is not extremely ambitious just wants him to be good person.

About the fame she said that she feels very uncomfortable and doesn’t like the popularity. In Russia when people tell them they are stars she always tries to be opponent because she doesn’t conceder herself a star but a person who did well her job.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Eys! 'Pocket porky' should have dieted along with her. :lol:

10. vivika1982

Lets give him a break and credit .He was eating two.:p
    And maybe dieting for one and a half. At least he doesn't look so porky anymore :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9_u7g8jQR0

11. casken

casken Well-Known Member

OMG. Could the bottom of that costume be cut any more provocatively tantalizing? :lol:

Those thighs are something else though. :grope:

If they want to get more ratings, the ISU may wants to reconsider that whole "pants" requirement for the men.

12. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Staviski looks very fit in this video. And Totiamina has more expressions in one program than she had in her whole amateur career. She looks so different now.

Denkova has always been one of my favourite skater persons.

13. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

"Ljosha can do everything" (c)

14. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

IMO Staviyski's fit look is somewhat helped by this video apparently being condensed from widescreen to a nearly 4:3 proportion. ;)

15. sbanet

sbanet Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the videos and translations! :encore:

16. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

;)

17. vivika1982

:lol:OK then. Sooo picky.:p I thought the comparison with the tiniest girl in the project will be better proof but let see something more realistic and analyze this :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs1oJpqo9Js
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB0pRvwWeDk

His slightly expanding waistline needs more work and dieting but in a way he is still smoking :hat1: and I don’t mean bacon smoking.

18. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Maxim's fit enough for a professional vivika. I don't think he needs to diet at all. I think he needs the extra weight for the lifts, because he's not tall and he risks being too close in weight to the taller ladies. Albena looks lovely as usual. :)

I'm so glad that with this new format they are all skating with proper skaters again! It was too dangerous with the celebrities! :scream:

19. Nan

Nan Just me

And yet it was one of the "proper" skaters that dropped Totmianina on her face.

20. vivika1982

:) I was joking .They both look good and I am happy for Albena.
    When I read the title I wasn’t sure that I want to read another interview with same twisted questions repeated ad nauseum but it wasn’t so bad this time. Well there were few questions about the accident in Nice 2000 and the rivalry with N/K but Albenka diplomatically cleared everything.

I was glad too and obviously the skaters like the feeling of competing again.

21. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I just love Staviski/Kokhlova skating together she is just the right height for him they look cute :)
    It just goes to show how extraordinary Delobel was to get back on the ice and compete at olympics she was in her thirties too wasn't she ?

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Many thanks, Vivika!

I didn't know this show existed. The women look fantastic (well, except Lobacheva), and I wish every dancer had a Vanagas: he partnered everyone beautifully.

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who won the Cup of professionals? I like that the skaters are taking it quite seriously. Their natural competitiveness...

24. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Found it!

Итоговые результаты
    Женщины
    1-2 Татьяна Навка 119,38
    1-2 Маргарита Дробязко 119,38
    3 Татьяна Тотьмянина 119,20
    4-5 Яна Хохлова 119,14
    4-5 Оксана Домнина 119,14
    6 Елена Леонова 119,02
    7 Албена Денкова 118,88
    8 Наоми Ланг 118,38
    9 Ирина Лобачева 118,22
    10 Мария Петрова 118,16

Мужчины
    1 Повилас Ванагас 119,26
    2 Максим Ставиский 119,12
    3 Алексей Тихонов 119,08
    4 Роман Костомаров 119,02
    5 Максим Маринин 118,98
    6 Петр Чернышев 118,96
    7 Максим Шабалин 118,80
    8 Андрей Хвалько 118,68
    9 Руслан Гончаров 118,04
    Илья Авербух 59,88
    Александр Жулин 59,32

http://www.1tv.ru/sprojects_edition/si5847/fi14688
    Translated with internet:
    The "Cup of professionals" came to an end. The theme of the final stage was the tenth of this music. Upon completion of all presentations were summarized and announced the winners of the project.

The best partner with the result of 119.26 points was Povilas Vanagas . "Thanks to the First Channel, thanks to Russia that such a project happen. Analogues of projects of this level in the world, I do not know. I'm very happy," - said the winner.

In women, the title of the best partner went to two skater. Partner Povilas Vanagas in amateur sports Margarita Drobiazko and Tatiana Navka scored the same amount of points - 119.38. "I am very grateful to the project, which gave me the opportunity to try out with different partners. I discovered many new things," - said Tatiana Navka. Margarita Drobiazko thanked all the partners with whom she had to act in the project: "Thank you to all of you very much! Without you I would not have been able to"

People's Choice Award went to Tatiana Totmianina and Alexei Tikhonov .

Final results of women

1-2 Tatiana Navka 119.38
    1-2 Margarita Drobiazko 119.38
    3 Tatiana Totmianina 119.20
    4-5 Jana Khokhlova 119.14
    4-5 Oksana Domnina 119.14
    6 Elena Leonova 119.02
    7 Albena Denkova 118.88
    8 Naomi Lang 118.38
    9 Irina Lobacheva 118.22
    10 Maria Petrova 118.16

Men are
    1 Povilas Vanagas 119.26
    2 Maxim Stavisky 119.12
    3 Alexei Tikhonov 119.08
    4 Roman Kostomarov 119.02
    5 Maxim Marinin 118.98
    6 Petr Chernyshev 118.96
    7 Maxim Shabalin 118.80
    8 Andrew Khvalko 118.68
    9 Ruslan Goncharov 118.04
    Ilya Averbukh 59.88
    Alexander Zhulin 59.32

25. vivika1982

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  26. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

27. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

If I remember correctly, Albena and Maksim's international career came to an end after Maksim was involved in a drunk-driving accident. At that time, they were the 2-time reigning world champions in ice dancing, and perhaps early favorites for Vancouver. If that didn't happen, perhaps Albena and Maksim would have continued on to Vancouver and been gold-medal contenders.

28. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Maybe maybe maybe we'll never know :(

.It would have been interesting to have seen D/S D/S at the olympics but unfortunately a turn of events for both couples prevented this :rolleyes: