Al Davis (Oakland Raiders owner) is dead at age 82

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Vash01, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I just saw this. I don't know if this belongs in the NFL thread. The admins can make that determination.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7074380/oakland-raiders-owner-al-davis-dies-82

He was not well liked. First, because his team was winning a lot ("Just win baby!"), later because his team was losing a lot. He became a cheap, meddling owner who would not hire a top coach in recent years. His team won a couple of superbowls (one with LA, one with Oakland), so he must have done something right in the 1980's and 1990's. As he grew old, he seemed to make the wrong decisions, but would not be a hands off owner.

Years ago he moved the Oakland Raiders to LA, then back to Oakland after many years. He won the lawsuit against the NFL to move the team to LA at that time. I will always associate the Raiders with Oakland, and I was happy when they moved back, but they were never the same team with swagger. They deteriorated.

My sympathies to the Raiders organization, Al's family and friends.

RIP Al.

2. lerei

lerei New Member

He is viewed as a controversial figure, with much made of his public persona and courtroom appearances. However, that belies the incredible legacy he has left behind. He was a true innovator of the sport who refused to submit to the standard conventions of the NFL. He dedicated himself to his team, perhaps to a point beyond his capabilities later in life. I will probably remember him rest for his accessibility and interaction with the fans of the Raider nation. I'll never forget going to training camp and practically being treated as a member of the team.

Rest in Peace Mr. Davis. Through good times and bad, you have made me proud to be a fan of the Raiders.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am curious to see what the NFL does this Sunday. Of course the Raiders players and coaches will wear something to remember Al, but I think the rest of the NFL also needs to express their sympathy, with may be a moment of silence for the departed soul.

ESPN had a nice piece on Al Davis last night. I did not realize that he was the commissioner of AFL, which merged with the NFL to bring us this great league. He was a legend, it seems. It just so happened I only saw him much later, so I was not aware of all his accomplishments. My sympathies to Raider nation. Too bad they are playing on the road today.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011