AKIKO SUZUKI: The Ice Goddess of Musicality

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by christinaskater, May 4, 2013.

1. christinaskater

christinaskater New Member

All hail Queen Akiko! The goddess of musicality on ice!

2. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I think the Queen title has already been taken. Maybe Princess

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Or Dowager Empress?

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Queen Regent?

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I always enjoy her skating. She's also a strong skater. Empress sounds good.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Maybe we need another poll : the best ever ? :p

I love Akiko's grace and when she skates, she really feels what she does. She is a breath of fresh air.

7. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Is anyone else with me on voting Akiko's 2013 FS, program of this decade thus far?

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

ITA! I love Suzuki at her best. I think both her programs this past season were wonderful, particularly her free skate, when she was at her strongest. :)

Shouldn't this thread be moved and merged perhaps with the Akiko Suzuki cheer thread in Trash Can?

Video clips would also be a great addition.

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, I have to admit that I've been particularly touched by Carolina Kostner's Afternoon of a faun. But Akiko's 2013 LP is the one I watch the most actually, when I want to feel joy and lightness. :)

10. HVS

HVS Member

Queen??? Goddess??? Since when we could call someone who out of top 10 Worlds like that????

Oh yes, and "Goddess + Queen" Akiko is the one who most worried about her chance to make Japan Olympic team :rolleyes:

11. karlon

karlon New Member

:) yeah, Even if she is not queen or god She is very good!

12. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

I think she is one of the most musical of all skaters competing right now.....so disappointed in her Worlds results this year, and hope she makes it to Sochi next year.

13. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Ladies' program, yes. But I vote for Takahashi's Blues for Klook as the #1 program of the decade, so far.

14. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

the most musical skater of ijs in my humble opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuaUMgFOcg#t=3m49s

from 3:49 to 4:06 is amazing, and reminds me of vintage kwan (I mean that as a compliment so I hope no one takes it the wrong way. akiko has said in interviews that her favorite skater was kwan). for me, what they both share is this uncanny ability to project the music, as if they're channeling it through their bodies. that alongside the joy they feel

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

You can still have wonderful musicality, even on a day your jumps go out the window like Akiko's did at Worlds. They're not necessarily mutually exclusive concepts. No one suggested we call her Queen of consistency ;).

Here's her last outing of the season, where she skated her LP very well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3PEs2jsYs

16. HVS

HVS Member

Oh Thank you ;)

Well, I actually liked her LP perf at Worlds, so poor technically, just somehow enjoyed it, maybe I love the music.

But it depends very much on her music choice and choreography not herself I feel, because I didn't "get" her in previous years or her other program, and seriously, a skater with week tech & poor consistency is at very-low-level in my eyes :rolleyes:

17. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Your generosity in your estimation of these athletes knowns no bounds I see :lol:

Well, if to you a skater of the level of Suzuki is a "VERY LOW level" skater (who did mess it up somewhat at JP Nats, GPF and pretty big at Worlds this season, but who also had pretty strong showing at both her GPs, 4CC and just nailed 130+ at WTT for a flawless performance - and who did medal at Worlds last season), I dread to know how you'd qualify skaters who do not medal at GP events or who do not get near the top 10 at Worlds :scream:

Then again, I guess such skaters would be too low for your eyes :drama:

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  18. HVS

HVS Member

So what wrong with that :rolleyes:

Skaters "who do not medal at GP events or who do not get near the top 10 at Worlds" as you said, well, I'm not a die hard skating fan, I enjoy to watch beautiful art + high level tech (love big jumps) skating with my favorite skaters (BIG 3 and few young girls if you ask), I don't think I need to know or watch all, not bash anyone, just didn't watch so have nothing to say :cool:

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  19. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

You are entitled to watch whomever you enjoy, of course. That doesn't change the fact there are skaters outside the top 10 who have excellent qualities and plenty of other fans enjoy. For example, back in the day when Lucinda Ruh was competing, she struggled to make the top 20 at Worlds, but her spins were the class of the field. Likewise, I think Akiko pays attention to detail and manages to interpret music with her entire body (definitely the best at using body levels to convey changes in music right now). That's enough to make her a compelling performer for me, regardless of what happens to her jumps.

20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Probably you don't know but there is more to figure skating "technique'' than just jumps. There are also skating skills, spins, the ability to execute difficult transitions and choreography while skating well and doing all the difficult elements. Akiko has one of the best skating skills from current ladies - especially in terms of speed, but she also has great step sequences (a technical element). She is not the best spinner, although usually she can get level 4 for her spins, but her ability to execute difficult choreo within a program with all the required elements is excellent.

As for consistency, most of current ladies are not that much more consistent than Akiko, including the best ones.

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Totally--she is just FLYING in that last sequence, and it *is* indeed very Kwan-esque in how it's skated with joy and total freedom. :swoon:
    DEFINITELY among my favorites, though I'd agree with the mention upthread of Carolina's Afternoon of a Faun in terms of women's LPs.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  22. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think Akiko's "O", Kostner's "Mozart", and Alissa Czisny's "Winter into Spring" LPs are the best routines this past Olympic cycle for me in terms of musicality. I have no problem calling Suzuki a "goddess of musicality" because when it comes to both ambitious and traditional choreography and pure musical interpretation and danceability, no lady comes close to combing all three like her.

23. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

It annoys me the judges dont give her higher PCS. The only skaters I would give higher PCS are Kostner on a good day, and "maybe" Kim and Asada, and she has some things superior to all of them on the PCS. Her interpretation score should beat everyone. She would still finish last of those if all skated perfectly as technically those three are all stronger, but she would be much more competitive than she is currently allowed to be (especialy as those others dont always skate cleanly).

24. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

She is also such a wonderful and kind and gracious women. The sport will have lost a great star when she retires. Does anyone think she has a shot of a medal in Sochi, and possibly even a World title in a depleted field on home ice at next years Worlds.

25. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

First she'll need to qualify for Sochi which is not a completely done deal if she has a meltdown the way she did at last JP Nats (and if we take into account the likely return of Miki Ando, although of course there's a huge question mark over the latter's form).

Once in Sochi, if Kim, Asada and Kostner skate at their best or at least have a strong performance at Sochi, I doubt Suzuki will be ahead of them. That being said, there is a real window of opportunity if she can skate a performance similar to that of WTT and get the marks she clearly deserves on some of the PCs (of course, that's assuming her programs will be as good as they were this season) - I know you should not directly compare results between different competitions, but her total at WTT would have put her as a silver medalist at Worlds. Again, it's not as clear cut, but it's at least an indication that she's in there with a shot at a medal

Of course, we'll need to see the quality of each of the leading skaters' programs before being able to make a more accurate assessment of everyone's chances ;)

26. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

It was a shame Suzuki did not do her WTT performances at Worlds. She might have won the silver which would have been so great.

As for Ando I dont think she is likely to come back, and even if she does she is very unlikely to make the team. Especialy when the Japense federation already said she has to win Nationals to make it, and that isnt ever going to happen when in her prime she only beat Mao at Nationals once.

27. torren

torren New Member

I do not think so. Carolina kostner would still be placed ahead of suzuki, and get silver medal with great PCS.

28. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Did Suzuki really say once that her favourite skater was Kwan? If so then I'm in heaven because my top 2 skater of all time's favourite skater is my #1 skater of all time :D

She wins me over more and more every season. I dearly hope to see her live again next year at some point, and I wish her a fantastic end to her career :)

29. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

yup
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2010/04/the-exception-to-the-rule/

she mentioned it a second time but i can't find the article right now