Air Purifiers, any advice?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by martian_girl, Jan 3, 2011.

1. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

I'm seriously considering buying an air purifier since I've been having allergy symptoms for a while. I've been quite skeptical as to whether or not these machines can actually do anything to improve the air quality, but I know people who swear by them.

Does anyone have any experience with these or advice on what to look for when buying one, or more importantly whether these actually work?

2. timing

timing fragrance free

Have you been tested for allergies? HEPA air filters can filter out quite small particles and help if you are bothered by air born particles such as pollens.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I have one. I'm not sure if it works or not - I'd like to think they do. Make sure you buy one that is large enough for your space. Also, it can be noisy when on max setting.

4. Auntie

Auntie New Member

I use a pretty large HEPA air cleaner in my bedroom. It has a pre-filter, which is similar to a furnace filter and also the HEPA. I have a lot of environmental allergies - trees, grass, pets, etc. I took allergy shots for years and used to take all kinds of meds. Honestly, I think the air cleaner has been the best thing for my allergies. I LOVE it.

I paid $250 for the unit and replacing the HEPA filter costs about $80 per year. It is also kind of loud - but it's a white noise so it isn't too bad.