AI Season 10 Finale: It's all over but the snarking.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, May 25, 2011.

?

Who's Your Idol?

1. Scotty McCreery

14 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. Lauren Alaina

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. OMG, Haley Reinhart! WTF!!

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. Whoever wins Dancing With the Stars

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

:huh: I love when people change the anthem so long as it is still recognizable. You hear the National Anthem so often that it gets really old hearing the same traditional version. Then again, I don't know if you are being serious or not. :lol:

2. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Check out David Cook performing with PS22 choir in New York. Those kids are the real stars of these videos, and I know David would agree. :)

3. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

4. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I was trying to hold off until I had the actual CD next week, but my entire Twitter feed keeps quoting lyrics, so I'd better listen tonight before I'm too spoiled. The good thing is that AOL corrected the order of tracks; they'd had them mixed up until a little while ago, and from what I'm hearing, it's an album that must be listened to in the proper order.

So tonight I'll be with my big headphones on, eyes closed, listening to the stream. But the CD also has two bonus songs plus the EP has 5 of the songs acoustically, so there'll be more to come next week. :)

I loved this interview. Gotta give mad props to Haley for handling everything the way she did.

5. BigB08822

Not sure if this was shared, don't think it was:

Allison Iraheta and David Hernandez did a version of "Rolling in the Deep."

David Hernandez sounded quite amazing, actually. Allison, well, I love you and all but maybe not this type of song from now on? I don't know if she was just giving it her own twist or if she didn't know the song but the lyrics were all wrong and her phrasing was way off. It might have come off better as a solo performance but as a duet it was odd to hear him stick to the melody and then she comes in and doesn't know the words or melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRHlnIEc6mA&feature=related

6. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Yeah, I didn't think Allison did a very good job with that song. Her voice is a too heavy for the song, and all the embellishments take away from the melody.

I didn't listen to all of Cook's CD but I listened to "Time Marches On" and "Goodbye to the Girl" which people kept mentioning in the comments. I liked them both. I think the former should be a single at some point and the latter is a good album track.

7. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I finally listened to the entirety of David Cook's album. Woah....it's so good. I'm actually speechless, and I like to think of myself as a pretty objective fan in most respects. Do yourself a favor, if you're going to listen, listen all the way through with headphones. This is really good, much different than I expected, and certainly (as a whole) not the run-of-the-mill same old same old we hear on the radio these days.

8. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I listened to more of the CD, going from beginning to end but not finishing all the tracks. Unfortunately, I don't really like the album. It's just not my kind of sound, too many mid-tempo rock ballads without as many catchy hooks, IMO. David is a good singer too, but I guess I just prefer lighter, poppier voices. However, despite not being in his target demographic, I wouldn't mind listening to a track or two when I'm in the mood for mid-tempo, current rock.

By the way, I have a feeling that Kris and Jordin are both going to be moving to RCA soon. Jive is splitting from the RCA/Jive Label Group and will join with Epic under music exec LA Reid, who's going to take the group in a more urban direction. Some Jive Label Group artists are going with Reid and some are going to RCA.

9. Allskate

Yeah. I can't remember ever changing my mind so much about an Idol contestant over the course of a season. I didn't care for her at all at first. Now, I think she's great. I think it helped a lot that she started insisting on singing what she wanted to sing and getting back to her roots. It's really clear that she loves jazz, so I hope she finds a way to incorporate some of that into what she records. Her story about "Moanin'" was really great and her passion for that music was really evident.

I couldn't understand why some people were so upset that AOL had screwed up the track order, but it really does play better in the order David chose. When I first heard the snippets, most of them ran together in my mind, but it's much more interesting when you listen to the full album, starting with Circadian and ending with Rapid Eye Movement. I do wish there was a little more variety, at least in terms of tempo. And, I still would like it to rock a little harder and be a little more raw vocally and musically. But, overall, I definitely prefer this to his last album. Right now, my favorites are Circadian, Time Marches On, Goodbye to the Girl, and Rapid Eye Movement, but maybe it's just because these are a little bit more different than the other ones. Also, for some reason, this sounds more like an album I'd listen to in the winter, not the summer. It's really pretty somber.

10. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

He said he did but the audio or something got corrupted. I think he was trying to interview Casey again.

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I started a separate thread for David Cook's album.

David Cook thread

Now I don't have to negative-rep every 9th post and can read about season 10 in this thread instead of somebody who was on American Idol eight years ago. :p

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. BigB08822

:rofl: Silly Kruss! :p

13. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

See my reply in the David Cook thread. :)

Thanks for the thread, and for not neg-repping me. I would have started one, but saw other comments here, so thought it was the place to post...

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol: You have to be VERY special to get a red blob from me. (It's a very small club.) :D

15. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

16. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

17. BigB08822

The EPs have come out for the top 4 finalists. I am going to buy Haley's just to show Idol who SHOULD have won and who got the raw end of the deal from the Producers and judges.

Also, Kelly Clarkson's possible lead single leaked today and then it was sent to some radio stations which have begun spinning it tonight. It is called Let Me Down. I do like it, not what I thought as a lead single, but very good. Oh, and as I type this, it is playing again on a CT radio station.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  18. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Some tweets are coming out of tonight's Idol tour - for those who are interested:

Casey and Haley are singing "Moanin'". :)

19. Allskate

Poor Haley even got a raw deal on the EP. The one new song they added was the one she didn't like, "You Oughta Know."

I'm surprised they didn't find a way to put out an EP for Pia. She reportedly sang eight different songs along with the closoing medley during the tour concert tonight. Most of them were not solos, but she had just as many solos as Lauren and Haley and one of them was her new single that is being released next week. Someone with power is really behind her. Poor Paul got one solo - a song he didn't want to do -- and no duets. I don't know if there's ever been an Idol contestant to get less singing time on tour.

20. BigB08822

Maybe that was because Paul's voice can't take performing every single night? Maybe some nights he will get to sing more tracks? I know his voice was almost completely gone when he got the boot.

21. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That's a good point.

Despite all of my whining and moaning I bought a ticket to see it at the Prudential Center in Newark. Mainly to see Haley, Casey, and Pia. Glad to hear Haley has a lot of stage time! :D

22. Allskate

Unfortunately, I don't think that's it. Lauren's voice reportedly hasn't recovered and she was struggling, but she sang a lot.

23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I didn't realize that Connecticut was such an important market.

24. BigB08822

Clearly, you have much to learn!

25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Uh, AI auditions for next season are already starting, including today in San Diego...I may have a horse in the running this time
    and he may already have gotten thru to callbacks! :)

26. Allskate

Haley has now been officially signed to Interscope: http://yfrog.com/gz95869529j

Good for her. I hope she is able to do the kind of music she loves to do. I'm hoping she and Jimmy Iovine see eye to eye. I got the sense that he was more on the same wavelength with her than the judges are. Plus, given Adele's current success, he might see a retro blues/soul influenced pop singer as a good thing.

So, with Pia, Scotty, and Lauren already signed, I'm guessing that James Durbin is all that's possibly left.

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

My local library recently received the "American Idol Season 10 Highlights" CD's from the top four, and Haley is the one who has the most holds placed on her CD. :rockstar:

28. Allskate

There were reports that, until she got the boot, she was the one with the most ITunes downloads. Add that to the youtube info and I'm guessing this is why she got a recording deal. We'll see what they do with her. But, they should be able to do something that both suits Haley and is pretty current.

29. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I'd definitely be interested in what Haley has to put out. I'm not really much of a jazz/blues fan, but I still love her "House of the Rising Sun" performance.

Pia's single wasn't discussed yet? I just listened to it on Youtube. She has such an amazingly clear voice. I like the song and thought it was pretty catchy, but it also reminds me of something that would be leftover from a Kelly Clarkson album in 2005. Kelly's new song is better than Pia's. However, I saw a picture of Pia in the music video. WHOA. Pia is hot. But honestly, I don't think she's even as talented as Katherine McPhee.

Surprised and yet not surprised that James Durbin hasn't been signed yet. Reminds me of when Gokey didn't get signed until later. Both aren't that marketable. Speaking of AI contestants named James, what happened to James from two seasons ago? Did he ever release?

30. Allskate

Do you mean Casey James? He's about to release a single and his album is coming out in the fall. He's been touring with Sugarland and on his own. It seems like the album will be a mix of country, blues, and rock.

I thought that Pia's single was totally forgettable and didn't do a whole lot for her voice, but I'm not really into that kind of music. I hope that's not the best track she's recorded. But, I agree that she looked amazing in the photo. I think that's what they're banking on. Iovine and 19 are really behind her. Despite where she finished, she's on stage during the Idols concert longer than almost anyone else and she's singing on SYTYCD.