AGT the live shows

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'd have picked the juggler over Melissa.

2. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Me too.

3. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

He was better last night, but I still like her a little better for some reason. I think she needs to pick much more recognizable voices to impersonate for her semifinal performance.

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

While I prefered him, I don't think it matters who they pick between the 4/5 spots. None of them have the fan bases necessary to make it into the final. At least he had the opportunity to show what he could do and didn't have to waste another set. Betcha he gets work.

Glad the chipmunk is gone. We finally heard a bit of what her "backups" could do, and the one with the glasses actually has a better, more developed voice. They'll get work, too, unfortunately.

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Since they didn't make the finals, Disney may be able to snap them up. They're always looking for new tweens or younger as their stars age out.

6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So the top 48 have been whittled down to 12, and next week are twelve youtubers, which America will pick three and the judges one? Which means we'll have a top 16? Two shows with eight performers and four picked from each, leaving us with a top eight?

The current top twelve:

Anna Graceman (soulful 11 year old singer)
    Sandou Trio Russian Bar
    Snap Boogie (young black male dancer)
    Miami All Stars

Silhouettes
    Steven Retchless (pole guy)
    Daniel Joseph Baker (gay black singer)
    Smage Brothers Riding Show

Lys Agnes (braided haired opera singer)
    Pop lyfe
    Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. (standards singer)
    Professor Splash

Fatally Unique
    Zuma Zuma
    Team Illuminate
    Melissa Villasenor (impressionist/comedienne)

7. rfisher

Without seeing the YouTubers, I'd put Team Iluminate, Zuma zuma, pop lyfe, fatally unique, silhouettes, Russian bar trio, snap boogie and Miami all stars in the top 8. The singers haven't been that impressive this season. I'd go with Team Iluminate for the win. They could do all sorts of awesome stuff on stage in Vegas. Wouldn't it be fun to see a show with all these groups.

8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

16 seems like a bit of an odd number; seems like AGT has always been even 10's. A wildcard show, perhaps?That would add an additional 4 acts to make a top 20.

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I find Fataly Unique boring & not unique. I was surprised they were voted through.

10. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Me too. All I could think of when I watched them was how they're good, but I've seen a ton of crews who are waaay better.

11. rfisher

Were any of them on the show??? Of the acts actually on the show, they deserved to go through. You can't compare them to acts NOT on the show. :lol:

12. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

In their group, no. But I still would have put the juggler, magician, bikers, singer and by a slight margin even the kid singers through over them. I thought they were in the bottom of the night ahead of only the kinetic king and the other dancer.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Stopped watching after the cloggers and magician. Anyone worth watching, or is the YouTube acts epi a "delete from Tivo"?

14. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Some of the later YouTube acts were worth waiting for. Four of them will go through.

Next week is the wildcard show when the judges bring back acts that deserve a second chance.

That means it will be a top 20 as someone else predicted. I guess that means two semifinals shows of 10 acts each.

15. rfisher

There were a couple of dance troupes that were pretty good, a singer and a trick bicycle act that was good. I loved the bulldog. Not that he's a Vegas act, but that was one handsome dog.

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Some of the YT performers were good.
    However, you couldn't build an act around most of them.
    They would be segments in a "Variety" show, at best.

17. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

The singer had good pipes. He needs some experience and a lot of polishing. My TV is so bad I couldn't see the bicyclist very well. I think he was creative.

18. Spareoom

It's not just your TV...I watched on Hulu, and I could barely see him either. They should have thought that one through a bit.

Out of all the acts, I liked Mary Beth the dancer the best.

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The bike was really well lit, but the biker hardly showed. It may have looked better live, but it didn't come across on tv.

20. skatesindreams

I think that was part of the act.
    The black suit; and "black light" gimmick was meant to actually hide him; so that the bike would appear to be powering/riding itself.

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

In that case, it didn't work very well because you could see him, just not very well.

None of the YTubers had the wow factor, but some were not bad. I did love that dog even if the act wasn't very polished.

22. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I voted for West Springfield Dance team and the acrobatics group from UMD. I found their acts to be very different and interesting. I thought the young contemporary dancer was pretty good, but not something you would build an act around. I wasn't as impressed with the bike stunts as it seemed very repetitive to me. The solo singer was good, but nothing special for me. I HATED that show choir group at the end.

23. skatesindreams

I didn't think it (the bike) worked well, either way.
    The act looked effective on YT; but didn't work "live".

24. Spareoom

No, I think he meant to do both. There was a part where he was in all black, and was meant to be be invisible. But when he was wearing the "muscle" suit, he was meant to be seen because it was supposed to light up and look freaky and cool. Unfortunately, the suit was too subtle to show up well on camera. Maybe it looked good in person, but on tv...not so much.

25. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I have been very underwhelmed about the acts this year. I keep asking the question - who would I pay $120 or more to see in Vegas? (That was the ticket price of a show the last time I was in Vegas 4 years ago). And so far, no one has wowed me to the point of saying "I would go see that"

26. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

That was my reaction to last night's show for sure. I didn't think any of them should go on to the live shows.

27. rfisher

I'm glad the Fiddleheads are getting a 2nd chance. Hopefully, they'll pick a better song to do. I'm :rofl: that they're bringing the Little People back.

28. birdgal

birdgal New Member

I was surprised at that one. :lol:

29. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

Glad about the Fiddleheads, but :scream: at the Little People coming back. I never understood how that act got as far as it did in the first place. I am 100% with Piers on that one.....

30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Whaaaat? I haven't watched yet. Who got through from youtube?