AGT the live shows

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Jul 13, 2011.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wiki says Ed's show ended in 1971. When I look at what else was airing at that time, anything I'm familiar with is something I most likely watched in reruns years later. I think as kids we all played outside as youth rather than watch TV. But I'm making up for it now. :D

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

In it's heyday (50s and 60s), the Sullivan show was must see TV. It was on Sunday nights at 8 when most families were home preparing for the school/work week. At our house, everything stopped for Ed.

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I don't remember watching it through 1971, but I totally remember seeing the Beatles, the Supremes, the Doors, and Topo Gigio in the 1964-67 time frame.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Ours tool; for as long as I can remember, until it ended,

5. Nan

Nan Just me

The Ed Sullivan Show was the best. My children are still impressed that I know so much about so many forms of entertainment. Variety shows did that. You may not have been a fan of each act, but you were exposed to a LOT of stuff! :lol:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Awww Eddddieee

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I feel like this week is over stacked compared to some of the other weeks (week 2 in particular). I'll be curious to see which 4 go through.

8. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Too bad for the Kinetic King :wuzrobbed I really liked him in the previous rounds.

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Me too - the poor guy. I still like him more than the kid singers.

10. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I like just about anyone more than the kid singers.

11. rfisher

I was PML at the Zuma Zuma guy adjusting his clothing. I suspect he was in great pain. They were exciting.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Those three girls are enough to get me to vote for Mr. Kinetic or whatever his name was.

13. rfisher

Too bad Disney owns ABC. They would be cute for a tween show, but not Vegas.

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I actually thought the juggling guy was fun tonight.

15. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I did too. I was kind of :confused: that he got buzzed twice.

16. rfisher

Wow. Team Iluminate is amazing. You totally get caught up in the act.

17. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

I hope Team Iluminate wins, amaaaaazing.

18. rfisher

I think this may be a year for a non-singer to win.

Tonight I liked Zuma Zuma, Fatally Unique and Iluminate. Don't really care who the 4th act is.

19. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I agree. I loved, loved them tonight. They also got the pimp spot, so I hope they get the votes.

I really hope a non-singer wins this year, especially since so many of the non-singing acts are very exciting.

I agree with that top 3 for tonight. I'd probably give Melissa Villasenor that 4th spot, even though she was kind of blah tonight.

20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Same here. Zuma Zuma really stepped it up and FU :)lol:) is a good crew. But Illuminate for the win!

Even if Kinetic guy had done as planned, how do you headline a show if you have to have the stage for 36 hours to set up? You have to go first everytime, and you can only have a show every 2 days? I doubt you could do a really big set up on a movable stage without the risk of triggering it when moving it to stage level.

I understand the juggler is trying to show enough different skills to fill a show, but no matter how much harder the musical set is, I agree with Howie that the musical set was a set down in the Wow Factor from lighting yourself on fire.

The big curtain behind the choir was moving a lot during the magician's illusion so I thought they blew it entirely. I was rooting for him too - I forgot he was still in the mix.

Bikes - nah. Kids - yuck. Comedian - ok, would probably put her 4th for variety's sake. Singer - not off key but just ok. Can't recall the other 2.

21. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I saw quite a few acts that weren't as good as the kids. I think the lead singer has real talent & I was amazed at the harmonys by the background singers. I'm usually vocal against the kid performers but I concer with Howie that these kids are ready for a Saturday morning show. I don't want them to win or anything but I thought they sounded good. And Stevie Wonder isn't easy to sing.

My favorite coming in was the comedian but her material wasn't very good last night. Her audition was really good.

22. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I do have to give them props for the song choice. It was a hard song and they did it well. I like them more than I typically like the child singers...or I did on that song.

Melissa Villasenor was one of my favorites coming in. I just think her impressions last night were a little obscure. Her Sharon Osborne was a little shrill. She did a terrific Judy Garland though. I think that the success of her first performance had to do with the popularity of the people she did impressions of. Her Natalie Portman and Kathy Griffin were eerily good.

23. Nan

Nan Just me

I did, too. I think he might have been trying to show versitility in his act but might have been better served if he had put the piano playing before the fire. After a while, any juggler can get boring if they are "just" throwing things in the air, but the piano bit was something I've never seen before.

24. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

These girls are better than any of the other child acts, but the thing that I keep going back to is "headliner act in Vegas" and kids just can't pull that off. I have yet to see one that would headline it with the exception of Illuminate.
    The show is called America's Got Talent, but it is also the talent that needs to headline a show in vegas. Which is extremely difficult to do.

25. rfisher

Fatally Unique beats out the kids, donut guy and Taylor Dane. :cheer2:

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I didn't like Fatally Unique as much as some of the otehrs, but I'd definitely have picked them out of that group.

27. rfisher

Zuma Zuma beats out the BMX bikers.

Team Iluminate has to beat out the next group. Magic guy (everybody could see that trick), Sam B (surely not).

Yes. Team Iluminate through.

Yea. I picked the top 3. I don't even remember who's left for 4th, 5th, and 6th.

And Maroon 5! Adam Levine :swoon:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  28. rfisher

last two are Kinetic King, comedienne, and I don't even remember what the other guy did. Nice looking guy in a tux???

Kinetic King out so it's between the guy I don't remember and the girl. :lol:

It's the juggler :duh:

And the judges choose:

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

30. rfisher

Sharon goes with Melissa
    Piers goes with Charles the Juggle
    Howie goes with Melissa (big surprise)

Next week are the YouTube 12.