AGT the live shows

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Jul 13, 2011.

1. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I want the little kids acts to go away and never show up again. They are like a mosquito = buzzing around, looking to suck the blood out of you and all you want to do is smack them.
  2. Allen

Allen New Member

I always felt bad for feeling that way, glad I'm not the only one.
  3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'll just bet these girls are popular at biker ralleys. :lol:
  4. rfisher

I hate when they put lots of good acts on the same week. Last week sucked and 4 acts went through that would be beat by several of the acts this week. It's unfortunate some won't go.

I agree with the judges about the 12 yo singer. You can hear the power in her voice, but she's not ready yet. She should try for the Voice in a couple of years.
  5. Allen

Allen New Member

Lys Agnes was kind of fabulous. I love seeing her all tiffed in the lace and feather jump suit.

Does anyone else not care about Professor Splash at all? Him doing the high dive is so not interesting to me.
    Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  6. rfisher

I think she's gorgeous. It's too bad mlp didn't see that jump suit.
  7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Is Poplyfe the singer/band who did the Adele number? I thought they were horrid, but obviously the panel and the audience disagreed. :lol:

I had to turn it off for the duo that was doing weird things with their eyes etc. - eek.

Mr Splash is interesting, but I don't see how this would make an act.
  8. rfisher

I just wish they'd do a variety show without the contest then they could book the cool acts more often. I think it's time for Hollywood to reinvent the Ed Sullivan show.
  9. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I only act I really liked tonight was the band with the girl singer. Lys Agnes is very pretty but the yarn hair is horrendous & her voice isn't good enough for opera. I really feel for the guy who sang Fly Me To the Moon but he needs vocal training. It's too bad he didn't get it when he was young because his talent was wasted. Some of the people did their talent well like the yo-yo guy but I can't imagine paying to see his act.
  10. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think it's done deliberately by the producers to ensure that certain acts have as clear a path as possible to the finale. If you stack the semis with too many similar, good acts, the ones the producers want may not go through. But if you have a couple really good acts and a couple mediocre acts, it's a lot easier.

It kind of defeats the purpose of "the greatest acts battling it out". Remember, AGT wants to make a profit off some of these acts down the road...can't do that if they don't make the final and/or win.
  11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

There is just no "Wow" act this year.

Last week, I would have put the magician through over the bikers or Stephen, but oh well. I am glad Lady GuyGuy got through. I wonder if Silhouettes has any other gimmicks or interesting routines. There were so many bad acts last week.

I am sick of singers winning - so I hope the magician gets through tonight -- but I think the rest of my top 4 are singers/the band. I like Landau, and I also wish he'd had training. Great raw talent, needs pacing and control. Lys Agnes isn't half as good as Barbara Padilla was. PopLyfe is good, but I didn't like the song choice. Too mature for them.

The diving guy can go - I don't care to see that again. It is suspenseful, but not a full act. And the other sideshow/danger act - yuk. NFL cheerleader group was zzzzz. Mauricio was dreadful. Monet is adorable, but that was too much song for her at this point. A good theme, but her control isn't developed enough. Yoyo guy is good for a few minutes, but he's not a headlining act. The jump rope group is good at it, but not a headliner either. And the kids - cute, but not great.
  12. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I like Landau. I see an improvement over the last few weeks. I think he can make a career of singing as he has a natural appeal on stage.

As for the diving act - I think it would work as a sort of Evil Kneivel type act. Promote one dive attempt for a world record for 6 months - interviews, controversy, any kind of talk would build up the event. Have him dive off a hotel or something. It could easily bring in a million dollars. Of course, he will probably hurt, cripple or kill himself along the way, but he doesn't seem to care much about that. Personally, I wouldn't watch it, but other people probably would.
  13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

For those who were watching SYTYCD last night - Poplyfe, Landau, Lys top 3. Splash through on an split vote with Piers breaking the tie. I get the feeling Piers wanted to clear the way for the other magician.
  14. rfisher

So far, the dance or novely acts outnumber the singers 7-5
  15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I thought the other magician got eliminated last week. Is there a third one?
  16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Now Allen, you have to use your imagination. You've spent $200 for your Professor Splash ticket, and he does this magnificent jump into a pool of water! Oooh, aaah! Now, imagine some lovely music playing for 15 minutes as he prepares for his next jump. Rinse and repeat four more times and there's your 90 minute show! Money well spent, non? :p

You need to go to the Politically Incorrect forum and join the Corporal Punishment thread! :lol:

Pierce kept complaining about the band not being on par with their singer, so this performance was all about them trying uber-hard to impress Pierce. They are much better when they are just doing their thing rather than jumping through hoops for snotty British people... :)

:confused:

Huh?

:p
  17. rfisher

I like variety shows. That's my favorite part about AGT. I think it would be a *new* format and could do well. Just get rid of judges and book the acts.
  18. icecat

icecat Active Member

ED Sullivan was great because he could book the newest A list "hits". I remember that Hollywood Palace was infinitely better in the B list "weird act" factor. There were also dozens of prime time variety shows in the evenings to handle most of the singers: Andy Williams, Carol Burnett, Gary Moore, Smothers brothers, Dean Martin Sonny and Cher and lots more in even earlier TV. Now it's dime a dozen reality shows for everyone's 15 minutes of fame.
    you don't even need talent, kinda like the old game shows!
  19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Oh, I get it now. Thanks, wikipedia. The reference is a black and white television show. Who knew television used to come in only two colours!!!

:p
  20. rfisher

Aw, come on. Surely you watched the Sullivan show as a kid! It lasted 20 years.
  21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wiki says Ed's show ended in 1971. When I look at what else was airing at that time, anything I'm familiar with is something I most likely watched in reruns years later. I think as kids we all played outside as youth rather than watch TV. But I'm making up for it now. :D
  22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

In it's heyday (50s and 60s), the Sullivan show was must see TV. It was on Sunday nights at 8 when most families were home preparing for the school/work week. At our house, everything stopped for Ed.
  23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I don't remember watching it through 1971, but I totally remember seeing the Beatles, the Supremes, the Doors, and Topo Gigio in the 1964-67 time frame.
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Ours tool; for as long as I can remember, until it ended,
  25. Nan

Nan Just me

The Ed Sullivan Show was the best. My children are still impressed that I know so much about so many forms of entertainment. Variety shows did that. You may not have been a fan of each act, but you were exposed to a LOT of stuff! :lol:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. rfisher

Awww Eddddieee
  27. Allen

Allen New Member

I feel like this week is over stacked compared to some of the other weeks (week 2 in particular). I'll be curious to see which 4 go through.
  28. Allen

Allen New Member

Too bad for the Kinetic King :wuzrobbed I really liked him in the previous rounds.
  29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Me too - the poor guy. I still like him more than the kid singers.
  30. Allen

Allen New Member

I like just about anyone more than the kid singers.
  31. rfisher

I was PML at the Zuma Zuma guy adjusting his clothing. I suspect he was in great pain. They were exciting.
  32. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Those three girls are enough to get me to vote for Mr. Kinetic or whatever his name was.
  33. rfisher

Too bad Disney owns ABC. They would be cute for a tween show, but not Vegas.
  34. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I actually thought the juggling guy was fun tonight.
  35. Allen

Allen New Member

I did too. I was kind of :confused: that he got buzzed twice.
  36. rfisher

Wow. Team Iluminate is amazing. You totally get caught up in the act.
  37. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

I hope Team Iluminate wins, amaaaaazing.
  38. rfisher

I think this may be a year for a non-singer to win.

Tonight I liked Zuma Zuma, Fatally Unique and Iluminate. Don't really care who the 4th act is.
  39. Allen

Allen New Member

I agree. I loved, loved them tonight. They also got the pimp spot, so I hope they get the votes.

I really hope a non-singer wins this year, especially since so many of the non-singing acts are very exciting.

I agree with that top 3 for tonight. I'd probably give Melissa Villasenor that 4th spot, even though she was kind of blah tonight.
  40. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Same here. Zuma Zuma really stepped it up and FU :)lol:) is a good crew. But Illuminate for the win!

Even if Kinetic guy had done as planned, how do you headline a show if you have to have the stage for 36 hours to set up? You have to go first everytime, and you can only have a show every 2 days? I doubt you could do a really big set up on a movable stage without the risk of triggering it when moving it to stage level.

I understand the juggler is trying to show enough different skills to fill a show, but no matter how much harder the musical set is, I agree with Howie that the musical set was a set down in the Wow Factor from lighting yourself on fire.

The big curtain behind the choir was moving a lot during the magician's illusion so I thought they blew it entirely. I was rooting for him too - I forgot he was still in the mix.

Bikes - nah. Kids - yuck. Comedian - ok, would probably put her 4th for variety's sake. Singer - not off key but just ok. Can't recall the other 2.