AGT the live shows

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Jul 13, 2011.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'd send the dance troupe, Snap Boogie, the kid who sings and the Russian bar act. They are unbelievable.

the Fiddleheads screwed themselves with that song.

The other acts were fodder.

2. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I agree, though I thought Anna got screamy near the end. Oversinging bothers me a lot

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

The Russian Bar Trio, Anna Graceman and Snap Boogie are shoe-ins. There's no WAY they won't make it through.

The third act is a little more unpredictable, I think. I'd like to see the latin dance troupe go through because I thought they were great, but who knows; I don't really trust America as a whole when it comes to reality tv voting. :p The voting public that sent Sanjaya to the top six on AI just might decide to embrace The Funny Little People or something equally heinous.

I really liked Echo, but I dunno if I'd trust them to be a consistent act since birds are temperamental.

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I think Anna is a mediocre singer. She sings loudly & her volume hides a lot. And we've seen a lot of dancers like snap boogie. He doesn't seem like Vegas to me, more like SYTYCD. I hope the dance troupe & the Russian bar act goes thru.

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

There are a lot of good acts, but I haven't seen that performance that makes your jaw drop this season.

Anna's best performance was her first one. But I think she will get through. I hope Russian Bar, Snap, and the Latin Troupe will too. I have no idea what will happen.

Dez Meeks was cheesy. He'd be ok in a Vegas bar though.

The motor bike family is exciting, but I only want to see 5 minutes of it.

Fiddleheads really did the wrong song.

I don't like the comedian, but Club Baby Seals made me laugh.

Little People :scream:

Trapeze - just ok

Echo - cute, but I don't see them expanding on what they've already done.

What the heck was that Opera act? Did anyone think the girl had a good voice? She sounded awful on my TV, but Sharon said she had a good voice. I could have gotten into something weird like that if it had been good. The guy at the end was funny though.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I think I'm a bit behind. Have they had the youtube audition show? If so, can someone please tell me which week it was? Thanks.

7. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

I've been mostly following the show.....but for me, no one really compares to Prince Poppycock......
    The only 2 I'd bet on going through this week are the Russian Bar Trio and Anna Graceman, and Anna will go only go through because she 's a cute kid and alot of people seem to think loud = good

8. rfisher

No. They are advancing 4/12 of the top 48 each week. I don't remember how many You-tube contestants there were last year...at least 3 or 4.

9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think the winner(s) of the Youtube show goes directly to the semi-final. If we get four people sent to the semis four times, that's 16 contestants. So add four more YT acts to make an even twenty for the semis? I dunno.

10. rfisher

Anna, Russian Bar and Snap Boogie through. Judges have to chose between Fiddleheads and Miami Dance troupe. Awwww. I actually felt sorry for the Funny Little People. They looked sad. Which is pretty hard for a painted face.

Miami All-Stars through. Too bad for the Fiddleheads, but they did themselves in. I hope they get a contract because I'd love to hear more from them. I lurve me some Bluegrass.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  11. A.H.Black

Thanks. I don't really watch much but my recluse sister does and it's nice to have something to talk about.

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Does anyone remember who the third act was up there with Snap and the motorcycle family?

13. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Wasn't it the Little People that Pierce hated so much?

14. sk9tingfan

This week, her vibrato was far more pronounced than in previous performances. She must have been absolutely terrified in front of that live audience

15. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

No, Little People were in the last group. Snap Boogie was in the first group.

16. A.H.Black

It was a duo. She's in red with white polka dots. He's in a white shirt with and undone tie. Is it the trapeze act? http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/

17. sk9tingfan

Thanks. Now I remember them. AeroDuo, I think

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Well I am happy with the first QF results!

19. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I was shocked that the Miami dancers didn't get voted thru by the public. I was also surprised that the Russian bar act wasn't in 1st place & that the dancer was. I like the guy but I would never pay to see him dance.

20. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

And here I go, in the minority again. I didn't like the Russian Bar group. They did like 2 whole flips. To me the nails and fire are nothing but smoke an mirrors since ANY miss is going to be extremely damaging in the first place. So for me it was just pretty much the same as we have already seen from them, only less.

21. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

She did a double back with a twist. I thought that was pretty impressive.

Actually, if she got a show in Vegas she would do the same tricks every time because she wouldn't be required to change it up like they all have to do on AGT. The parrot did the same patter & the bike riders did the same act. There isn't all that much she can do to change it.

22. rfisher

So would a magic act or any other performer for that matter. If you've ever been to Celine Dion's Vegas show, she does the same set each night.

23. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I am bored with the bikers too. And talking about a Vegas performer who repeats their minimum hour long act every night is not the same as repeating the same 30 second or is it 60 second bit over and over with only superficial changes. If she got a show in Vegas she better not repeat the same jump all night long. To be honest, even if she did a few different jumps I still don't see how this could ever be a full-length act. At best it is would be just part of a variety show with many different performers.

This isn't to say that what she did isn't difficult and that she isn't talented. I couldn't do anything like that in my wildest dreams, it's just that now I have seen it and I don't need to see it again. I guess I have a short attention span for same-y same-y things. Many years ago the first time I heard pan pipes I thought, wow that's different and cool. By the third hearing I never wanted to hear it again. Ditto Irish dancing - a little goes a long way. I have the same problem with almost all American sitcoms. Once you see a few episodes they all start to seem the same. And of course this is just how I feel about it and you are more than entitled to your own opinion. I would never go to see the same concert more than once, the same movie, etc.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I haven't watched since the first auditions but tonight's show was a real snoozer - at least the 2nd hour, I didn't realize there was a first hour.

The Silhouettes just performed and I can't believe all the judges are eating it up - I thought it was embarrassing :scream:

I wanted to like the juggler, but he was completely off. I liked the pole guy, although i'm more interested in his pointework, and his transitions were labored. The twin sisters were dreadful and I can't believe how nice the judges were.

The magician was the best.

25. rfisher

Yeah, pretty much none of the acts last night have a prayer of winning. I did get what the roper guy was saying about the horse, but he should have known better than to try and do a full horse act in a theater. That was stupid on his part, especially when he was trying to compete against acts like the Russian bar trio or even the motorcycle trio. Most of these must have come from the couple of audition shows I'd missed because I didn't remember any of them. I hate it when they put a lot of good acts on the same night. Some which didn't make it last week, would have gone through if they'd been with this lot.

26. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

For the most part, all the singers this year are pretty bad. Not overly impressed with anyone so far.

27. birdgal

birdgal New Member

I wasn't impressed with any of the acts last night. It was very mediocre. Some of them were down right embarrassing. I think some of the Hollywood glitter has hurt some of the acts. I actually liked the pole guy better, in his audition, rather than his performance last night.

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

In general I think most of the acts on this show suffer when they get to Hollywood and have to add backup dancers. It just doesn't work.

I wonder if it was the juggler's idea to have huge blowup pics of the judges' faces, for instance. what was the point?

29. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

IIRC, the producers made some really bad recommendations last year and it seems to be continuing. Only established acts who know staging seem to get through with relatively minor "input"

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I thought the Silhouettes were great. When they finished each pose, and you were like :confused: as to what the heck it was supposed to be, they showed a picture of what they were trying to do. So that made it very easy to understand what each attempt was about.

Plus, the pandering was perfectly done.

birdgal and (deleted member) like this.