AGT: Summer's Guilty Pleasure is Back (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Jun 5, 2013.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I love this show. Since the dogs won last year, I'm hoping for even more variety acts. Heidi and Mel B replace Sharon Osbourn. I think the judge panel will be very good this season.

Rattlesnake guy is from the shallow end of the gene pool without a doubt. :yikes:

Bring on the weird, wild and fun. :cheer2:

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I love this show. Since the dogs won last year, I'm hoping for even more variety acts. Heidi and Mel B replace Sharon Osbourn. I think the judge panel will be very good this season.

Rattlesnake guy is from the shallow end of the gene pool without a doubt. :yikes:

Bring on the weird, wild and fun. :cheer2:

Um, we have 3 threads. Could an admin please merge? :lol:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  3. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/

Two new judges to replace Sharon. Still have to deal with Howard Stern (not my favorite). New stage - Radio City Music Hall. Now that the dogs have won, (still wish it had been the comedian, Tom Cotter) we can root for a dance group, a magician, or some acrobats. I confess I always love a singer with a great voice.

Well - What do you know! We have three threads all at once. Dear mods, choose whatever.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: at 3 threads!!

5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

3 threads and no comments? :lol:

Didn't watch the first guy. :yikes:

Second guy singing To Make you Feel My Love. Wow! :eek:

Anna Christine ..... she's only 10 years old!?! She was incredible!! :eek: :eek:

And what the hell was that Special Head dude all about? I mean, you could kind of see the brace he hooked the stick into in his sleeve. :shuffle:

Loved the big choir/orchestra and the boy choir.

B-DOUBLE-O-T-Y .... well THAT'S going to be in my head the rest of the week.

6. A.H.Black

I agree with everything, although I didn't love the 10-year-old that much.

My favorite was the Hawaiian Dance act to Singin' in the Rain.

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Haven't watched my tape yet, but why is Heidi Klum on this? I thought Mel B was a perfect choice, but who needs Heidi? Go back to Lifetime!

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

She wants to have something to do after "Project Runway" ends, perhaps?
    I don't think she's right for this; but, we'll see.

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

IMO Heidi is there so Howard has someone to make crass jokes about. I get the impression she thinks she was asked to be a serious judge.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

After watching some performers, she is more serious and sensible than I expected.

11. BaileyCatts

Liked the kid dancers tonight. It always amazes me when kids that young are can dance like that.

I always like close up magic acts like that first guy, but I always want to know how they do that! I still want to know how Diddleman from last year did his act!

Uhm, I barely remember anyone else. :shuffle:

12. A.H.Black

I really liked the 16-year-old magician - he had great presence and it was a great trick. I also liked the ventriloquist, although I think she needs more to her act, rather than just singing.

I liked the dancers, but they seemed almost too sharp in their movements. I kept wanting to see more "dancing" in a dance hold. I liked the older pair better than the younger.

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I always feel a little squicky about such young kids dancing like that. But they were good.

Loved the young magician and ventriloquist.

14. A.H.Black

This week I liked the dancer - very innovative moves; especially the head thing.

I also like the lady on the unicycle with the dishes.

I don't think we have seen the winner yet.

15. BaileyCatts

^^ uhm, how DID that dancer do the head thing by the way??!!! I watched it back a few times and still couldn't catch how he did it. I was expecting him to be one of those dud performers who they kind of set up knowing it will be a bad audition, but wow ... he was brilliant!

The puzzle guy (or whatever you call him, he set up the maze in the lobby), he was funny without really trying to be funny. I liked him. I don't know how many times the act could be feasible on the show, but I bet he gets through at least the next round.

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

The puzzle guy is a Rube Goldberg act -- they had a chain reaction guy who went pretty far one year, but not to the finals. Somewhere along the line, his set up didn't work and he got eliminated.

17. A.H.Black

I think we may have seen the winner tonight. I don't like country music, but the 11-year-old certainly has the pipes to win.

I missed the names of the skaters. Did they say? Does anyone know?

18. BaileyCatts

Was just going to ask the same thing. I think my station may have cut in late because it started right up with them already skating.

Has anyone ever been to a taping of the audition shows? I've always wondered how they do them .... is it one audience/one show and they are there for 6-8 hours? Do they tape maybe three 2-hour shows per day and filter in new audiences? A single 3-4 hour show in each city? I have always wondered how they are filmed.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  20. A.H.Black

I wondered who the blond was. I didn't get to see her long enough to recognize her. Their head-banger was great for having been ice-dancers. The other couple needs to work on theirs.

21. BaileyCatts

Loved the Pole Guy tonight (the guy that Mel B. knew). And that his first move was pulling himself up that pole with no support other than his hands .... dayum. Took me back to elementary school gym class where I couldn't climb that damn pole not even one handhold to save my life. :lol:

Loved the country singer dude too. And the 14 year old that sang her own song was very good, but I bet she could be even better as she seemed way nervous to me.

And I was thinking that last lady was actually going to turn out to be good with all the games playing they were doing with her. Eh, at least she was funny.

22. A.H.Black

They repeated the version with the dancer last night so I really watched for the head thing. It has something to do with the coat. He raises the neck of the coat while he lowers the head and it looks like he is doing that impossible thing with his head. It's very cool.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I watched both Tuesday and Wednesday's shows last night and they were really funny shows. The bad comedian with the stool softener -- and what did he say to Mel B - when you get to be 75, you should launch a perfume and call it Old Spice. My husband loved him.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

25. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Aerial Ice were (was?) fantastic! Great to see skating branch out and reach a new audience. And it's wonderful that such talented athletes have a vehicle to express themselves.

I look forward to seeing Joel's choreography for the group. If any of you follow(ed) the Young Artist Series, Joel was a finalist one season, and among his many memorable works was a piece for Nathan Chen called Nathan and the Spider.

26. A.H.Black

I'm quite sure there's a weeding process before anyone gets to go before the celebrity judges. I'm not sure what they look for - probably a combination of the worst and the best - and shock value, of course.

27. A.H.Black

I felt badly for the lady on the unicycle with the bowls. She was one of my favorite auditions. I'm also disappointed she was in the "danger" category. What's up with that. I thought she would have been in the acrobatic section - although she doesn't really fit in either. Maybe there should just be a "circus" category. It would be cool if they put her through anyway but I don't think that will happen.

I didn't like most for the "danger" acts. They were just too foolishly dangerous. I would pay money to see them I would pay to see the lady with the bowls.

Does anyone know if the skating act got to perform again or if they were just sent home?

Answered my own question - Sk9tingfan just posted
    Cool.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

And back stories.

29. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Did anyone else feel HORRIBLE for the younger sibling dance team that had the fall? The Kids category is tough to watch sometimes.

I'm excited to see so many of these acts live now that they have picked who is performing at Radio City Music Hall in NYC.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  30. BaileyCatts

Yes, especially when she started crying. But I loved the interaction with their coach backstage with him explaining how it happens, it won't be the last time, its how you recover. And they did recover very well for such young kids because they got up and kept right on going and she didn't lose it until after she was done.

But regarding the kids acts ..... how the hell did the Screeching Kids (and she couldn't even 'sing' when she actually did sing tonight) get thru when the Dark-Haired Country Girl Singer with the Cowboy Hat got cut when she was actually the best singer of the kids group!! At least I thought she was! When all 4 of those kids sang I thought surly Screeching Kids would definitely get cut, Dark-Haired Country Girl definitely thru, and the other two thru depending on the slots they were trying to fill, meaning if they were only filing 1-2 Kid Singer Slots, the Dark-Haired Country Girl Singer definitely gets a spot. Those Screaching Kids are absolutely awful compared to the other three acts in the Kids group tonight.

And how does Special Head get thru? He sits on a board and he gets thru when better acts get cut?! It looked to me like there was some kind of panel hidden in the back of his pants for him to lean on to keep his balance. And as for that back bend, well I've seen lots of dancers do balance moves like that so I'm not impressed with him at all. Unless they were padding the groups to get certain people the votes (and backloading the groups with surefire losers), I don't understand some of the cuts tonight versus some awful acts that got thru.

I love love love the Magician Kid! How the hell did he do that trick! I'll definitely be voting for him next week.