Age Discrepancies for Chinese Skaters

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by oleada, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Hasn't Daniela Silivas said that she was 13 in Montreal when she won her first world event final?

Romania was an egregious offender of age rules until about 2004. The hot rumor was that Andreea Munteanu was underage and that's why she got "injured" shortly before the Athens Games.

Since they don't threaten for gold on the women's side, thanks to the new code, (they suck on bars), I don't think the FIG feels that going after them is very sporting. Also, the violations were from a long time ago.
  2. equatorial

equatorial New Member

Gizmo is probably over the maximum age limit for seniors by now :saint:
  3. jlai

jlai Title-less

Found a story here about a Chinese who's socially pressured into changing his age.
    http://big5.xinhuanet.com/gate/big5...wen_zhong_xin/2011-02/17/content_22085600.htm :(

The story talks about Li, whose parents did not believe in falsifying age. But everyone around him did it, which made it difficult for him to survive in his team when everyone on paper was two years younger than he was, and hence had more "potential" for top-notch training or provincial and national team spots (though in reality everyone's the same age). So he finally changed his age.

The age situation also makes it difficult for the "younger" boys to date girls because on paper they are younger than the girls. It becomes, on paper, love between "little brother" and "older sister". :rofl:
  4. jlai

jlai Title-less

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  5. equatorial

equatorial New Member

We are a bunch of "enthusiastic netizens" :rofl:But the quotes are very tame, only the 93ning one mentions a specific skater.
  6. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Why the :eek:?

FSU has been promoted to a bolded subtitle!

ETA: My favourite Babel Fish translation (bold mine):

:rofl:
  7. jlai

jlai Title-less

:rofl:

benedict david, you are famous!
  8. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

hmm, I can't read chinese... who is Benedict David?
  9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Huh. Are the Japanese media really all over this? (That seems to be what the last article suggests.)
  11. Angelskates

It may indeed be convenient, but it also may be true.
  12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What next?!?
  13. jlai

jlai Title-less

An FSU poster one article mentions.

ETA: OMG, just checked Oleada's and Angelskates' rep level. So you are all document forgers :rofl:
  14. Angelskates

:sekret: You should have known it was us all along. Though we only do the birth certificates, anything else will cost you much more. :bribe::bribe::bribe:
  15. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it might. Also the dog really did eat my homework.

Ant
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Darn, I didn't get quoted! Oh, well, I'm sure I still have at least one more chance to say something controversial. :D
  18. Sylvia

2/18/11 video from the press conference in Beijing (I assume the man speaking is Zhao Yinggang):
    http://video.sina.com.cn/p/sports/o/v/2011-02-18/180061261759.html

2/15 CCTV News report in Chinese in response to the AP story (2+ minutes long, includes skating clips of Zhang/Zhang and the Internet evidence of their birthdate discrepancies displayed on the screen and circled in red): http://video.sina.com.cn/p/sports/o/v/2011-02-15/223061259153.html
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

From the google translation link Sylvia posted:
    Ren Hongguo, said: "There are some players did not see the problem now, but this is no problem we have to further verification, we must be cautious, after confirmation of the announcement. Some parents are taught to children as soon as possible, the existence of individual false age, but the center are firmly opposed to it, there are problems we should be punished. "In the briefing before the ISU issued a message, said his spokesman Sai Linna Zhang Dan, Zhang Hao and Xu Bin Shu Chinese singles players have been the age of authenticity confirmed, "the three players in the age of the Chinese Olympic Committee official website of information and exactly match the ISU website information."

Anyone who knows Chinese want to venture a better translation of this sentence? I don't think Google translate is giving a very clear translation on this one.
  20. jlai

jlai Title-less

A shoddy translation on my part: Some parents want to develop their kids' talent, so there are individual cases of falsifying ages, but our center is firmly opposed to this. If there are problems there'll be punishment.
  21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

So Zhangs and Bin Shu Xu are in the clear, but the others are being investigated?
  22. Squibble

Squibble New Member

There's a difference between the Chinese Federation's internal investigation and the investigation by the ISU. As posted above, the ISU has simply said that there are no age discrepancies in the documents submitted to the ISU (passports and forms from the Federation, I believe). The ISU's investigation will undoubtedly take longer. The ISU investigated Walter Toigo, a judge from Italy, for possible improprieties during the Junior Grand Prix season and just announced its decision a few days ago.
  23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks. :)
  24. Sylvia

Was this decision formally announced? I thought Tony Wheeler broke the news in his blog: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77668

BTW, it appears that the Chinese media continues to cover this story. Here's an editorial that was published in the Chinese Youth Daily on Feb. 18: http://sports.sina.com.cn/r/2011-02-18/08195455275.shtml

Google translated version: http://translate.google.com/transla...ts.sina.com.cn/r/2011-02-18/08195455275.shtml
    Excerpts:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the translation, Jlai.

Sounds like from what the Chinese Youth Daily published that age falsification is pretty common among Chinese athletes. I hope the ISU has the balls to come down on them. (I'm not betting on it, though.)
  26. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Yeah, I find it pretty hard to believe that a sports federation would accept questionable documents created by the country being investigated and then say "Ok, move along, nothing to see here" when the country has so many question marks regarding age falsification throughout its history. We are reaching a point where athletes will not stand for this kind of blatant cheating and the federations will have to comply. The investigation is going to have to go a lot deeper. How do you prove an age beyond falsified paperwork? Interviews with people the skaters have known, records of stuff they have posted about themselves on the internet... none are "official" but they could show a pattern of deceit which could weigh heavily on the final decision.
  27. Sylvia

28. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

The Toigo decision has now been formally announced in ISU Communication 1669.

29. Sylvia

I reposted HisWeirness' info in the Walter Toigo thread in GSD yesterday: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77668

The male pair skater Yu GAO is newly listed on icepartnersearch (he used to skate with Narumi Takahashi of Japan when she was living in China): http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=3548

He's one the skaters with the age/birthdate discrepancy: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011066.htm
  30. RD

RD Well-Known Member

FOUR years' difference! They are so brazen!
  31. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Isn't Gao the former partner of Narumi Takahashi? Her birthdate is January 15, 1992. It's not unheard of, but it's unusual for a male pairs younger to be older than the girl, especially when they are young.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  32. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Well, it's not that unusual for the girl to be less than a year older than the boy. Worked for Davis/White (who started skating together very young) and Torvill/Dean.
  33. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Those are dance couples. oleada was specifically talking about pairs.
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  34. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty common for male pairs skaters to be older than their partners.
  35. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I meant the girl to be older than the man :lol:
  36. mark247

mark247 New Member

I always thought that when younger, girls were typically the younger as well. Why is it that younger skaters pair with younger counterparts? Is it mainly the skill level of both, and so older (and possibly more skilled) skaters tend to go with other older/skilled partners? Or does it have to do with maturity level?
  37. Sylvia

38. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Han is 21 and Sui is 13? They should skate to something by R. Kelly.