Age Discrepancies for Chinese Skaters

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by oleada, Feb 9, 2011.

1. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I did. Will upload after class.

2. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:huh: I don't recall that at all.

Versus kvetching over "flat chested" skaters and gymnasts, I remember those suspicions being about "hairy chested" women in swimming and track & field. :shuffle:

3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

So if you were a TSA security officer at an airport, you would go straight for the guys with turbans and beards? Same logic. Maybe that's the wave of the future but not "PC" in my book (or in the American way).

Beefcake, there WAS an investigation of at least one Romanian gymnast during the Comaneci era but I can't remember her name.

4. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

No. You "go after" people on the do-not-fly list because they already have terrorist connections or reason for suspicion. The Chinese have already been caught falsifying ages in the other sport where age limits keep young, talented people from competing at the highest levels and therefore suspicion is reasonable. As opposed to the Japanese, Koreans, Americans and Russians, who all demonstrably lost opportunities for skating medals because their skaters were too young to compete at Olys, Worlds or the GP circuit.

5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I hope the posters don't disappear :yikes:
    Let's all be careful out there, you never know about retaliation...:sekret:

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Have any of the other federations posted documents of their skaters' information on their Olympic committee websites, which include many "incorrect" birthdays? *That's* why the Chinese have come under investigation.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I feel like Louis Renault in Casablanca every time I read about this. "I'm shocked, shocked to see there's gambling going on here."

8. grandma

grandma Active Member

The skaters fill out the form prior to their first ISU competition.
    The skaters identity is verified with their passports which are presented by the skaters at the event accreditation. So the chinese skaters must also have had passports with wrong contents.:cold:

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

10. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

No. Same difference. Nationality, dress, association = reason for suspicion in this logic. Your words: "reason for suspicion."

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Emilia Eberle was underage and looked like it. Bela Karoly actually signed up one gymnast to compete under another girl's name in 1981. And, yes that counts as breaking the rules as well. What I don't understand is how things that happened over 25 years ago make China's current situation any less damning. Other countries have done it before and their statute of limitations expired, so we should leave the poor Chinese Federation alone?

I do feel bad for the skaters, especially the younger kids who were only 12-13 but asked to be 15 for ISU competition purposes. In case someone has to take the blame, it will be them instead of the officials who were too lazy to follow up on their own faked DOB's. That hardly seems fair.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  13. jlai

jlai Title-less

Zhangs' comment on this: This is "hilarious".
    http://news.china.com.cn/txt/2011-02/16/content_21929490.htm
    and http://roll.sohu.com/20110216/n303196714.shtml

Cong's comment on this: Not much to say. Who's in the clear will stay clear.
    http://sports.163.com/11/0215/18/6SV2J70P00051CAT.html

Article: Age alteration a common problem in soccer and basketball
    http://news.sina.com.tw/article/20110216/4192373.html

Effect of size: http://sports.xinmin.cn/2011/02/16/9322534.html

Article about fan discussion of the situation: 冰迷称受中国花滑欺骗 斥12岁练抛四周跳不人道
    http://news.xinmin.cn/rollnews/2011/02/16/9323469.html

14. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Like that somehow makes it okay to fake ages in figure skating? :blah:

Anyway, maybe it's the unfortunate angle, but Hao Zhang looks like he has a double chin. I used to find him quite :grope:

15. jlai

jlai Title-less

Sorry for the poor translation. This is a Taiwanese article. I don't think the tone is meant to be complimentary. The article discusses how the advantage re: size in pairs is temporary and the body mismatch will be a big issue in the long run.

eta: Zhang's comment was on how they didn't compete all season and still there's news about them.

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Ah, that makes it clear. Sorry, I didn't make it seem like I was snarking on you! I appreciate the links/translations.

17. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I remember this being discussed at least as far back as when Binshu Xu appeared on the junior scene. There were several articles where Chinese coaches mentioned her being the same age as Asada and Kim when her birth records stated her to be older by two years.

I wonder how far back this goes? Was there any question about Chen Lu's age when she first appeared on the international stage?

18. jlai

jlai Title-less

Back when Chen Lu was competing girls could go to worlds at 13 (ala Kwan) :)

Here's my post on the age rule (and I hope to get some clarification on specific dates when the rules changed) :)

19. letsskate

letsskate New Member

lol, this is laughable... this has nothing to do about whether you competed this season. You can be retired by now, but if you faked the age, people will still bring it up!!! i guess they just don't get it.. and I'm sure chinese fed had a meeting with all their athletes to teach them exactly what to say to the press.

20. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Chen Lu predated these age limits by a bit.

She wasn't even the youngest skater at the '92 Olympics, which was Krisztina Czakó.

21. letsskate

letsskate New Member

Also posting per my friend (he's not comfortable in english), Chen Lu tweeted on chinese twitter.. (yes, china blocks the regular twitter, and now has their own) saying american press is ridiculous and they have made no mistakes.

22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous that the Chinese fed/media is turning it around saying it's the American/Western press when the information comes from their own websites. Expected, but still dumb.

23. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

If you can't defend the facts, attack the messenger. ;)

24. letsskate

letsskate New Member

the bottom line is..... they just don't get it....

after doing it so often, it becomes normal and right to them by now.. so it's always us westerners picking on them and jealous of them.. i find it ridiculous. Are you kidding given the depth of current russian and US young talents, we'd be jealous of the skaters China has? Ignorant much?

25. jlai

jlai Title-less

Just to add: Zhang Hao said he could show everyone his ID card. :)

26. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it will be convincing and quiet down all the rumors. :lol:

27. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

Oh, of course he can!! :lol:

28. Squibble

Squibble New Member

http://bjyouth.ynet.com/article.jsp?oid=76686962

Google translation:

I'm not sure whether to congratulate oleada or to say that I find this very creepy both because the article singles out her user name and because it appears to have altered, instead of translated, the title of this thread.

29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I saw this and thought, "again?" Seriously, do the Chinese understand age eligibility? In any sport? Are there any athletes who are the proper age for their competitions?

Also, Sui never seemed THAT young to me...I see it, but she hides it well (although, if she really is that young, I am upset because I adore Takahashi/Tran I would have enjoyed watching them perform at the GPF. On the other hand, the one who always seems too young, afaic, is Lubov Iliushechkina. That, however, is a different discussion entirely).

30. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Um. Well, I can safely tell you I'm creeped out.