Agafonova/Ucar

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ziggy, May 6, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Anybody knows what's up with them?

They were originally entered to Euros and Worlds but didn't end up taking part in either. Why?

They did some B-Internationals, though where they've had surprisingly good results and placed 2nd at the Winter Universiade.

2. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I called the federation when they were withdrawn from the worlds. They said Agofonova had very recently injured her back. :( At that time they didn't know how serious it was or when she would be back on the ice.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thank you!

That is very sad to hear, I hope it's nothing serious. :(

Do you perhaps know too why they were pulled from Euros? Injury as well?

Because short after they competed at the Universiade where they did extremely well beating couples like Walden/Edwards who qualified to the top 20 at Worlds this year.

With his last partner (who admittedly was not a very strong skater), Ucar was "bottom of the barrel" so when I saw those very strong results this season, I simply couldn't believe it.

Agafonova had good results with her previous partner, though, and Ucar was always very expressive. Great to see a good match has been found for a country with no prior results in Ice Dance. :)

4. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I hadn't realised that they were entered to the Euros at all. The Universiade was in Turkey the week following the Euros and I had assumed that the federation wanted them to concentrate on that. Theirs ended up being the only Turkish medal in the home games, so if that was what the federation did, probably they had a point. Still, I wish they had competed at the Euros.

OTOH Agofonova was ill with high fever and some respiratory problems at the Universiade, so maybe she was even more ill during the Euros. Unfortunately I don't know anyone at the federation - I just phoned them, chose the option "international competition" and the person was kind enough to give me information. However I can't phone again for the year's complete medical history. ;)

A/U have a mountain to climb because Ucar started ice dance so late. OTOH, they are very consistent with the elements. For instance, I watched them in two competitions, so four programs and every time the twizzles were level 4 without the slightest wobble and with good synchronisation. The elements are what really matters with the CoP and that is how they were getting good results.