Afternoon of a Faun

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MR-FAN, Jun 21, 2012.

Favorite L'après-midi d'un faune

1. Janet Lynn

42 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. John Curry

34 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Yuka Sato

15 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. Carolina Kostner

28 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I am so with you

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As I remember, Yuka said that she did her program in tribute to Janet; and was very nervous to skate in front of her.

3. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I took a quick peak at Janet's version. 30 seconds was enough to remind me that Curry was in a class by himself. He took the piece back to its ballet roots. He was true to the original. Janet's program was plain old generic skating like we've seen time and time again. Nothing outstanding about it. Boooring. :yawn:

4. Johnny_Fever

I looked at the other two as well, and I listed how I rate them. Sato's version has some artistic merit. Who choreographed it? Sandra Bezic?

1) John Curry
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7) Yuka Sato
    8)
    9) Janet Lynn
    10) Carolina Kostner

5. skatesindreams

I regret that you cannot appreciate why even John Curry regarded Janet as the very best example of all that is great in skating.

6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

You miqht as well quit with the "riling up" efforts. :lol:

Like I said, Curry's ice theater interpretation is in a class by itself. He was inspired not only by Nijinksy but also by Lynn's original skate. The fact that Lynn was skating to Afternoon of a Faun in competition is what makes her performance all the more magical and amazing.

7. Johnny_Fever

Ah, that would have limited her options. Curry's competition programs were more conservative as well.

8. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Oh, gosh! Thank you so much for sharing this version. I wish Ilia's version would have been added to the poll.

Yuka's artistic qualities were mesmerizing. She gets my vote. :)

9. floskate

floskate Vacant

Actually this was her exhibition from 1971 Worlds. She had used the afternoon of a faun as the opening section of her LP the previous season but not at all in the 1971 season. I guess they took her old LP and extended the faun section. She did compete this program at a pro ompetition at MSG in 1983

10. skatesindreams

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks floskate. There were two links provided earlier to Lynn's performances of Afternoon of a Faun. I was referring to the first link provided in the first post in this thread: Janet Lynn competing at 1970 U.S. Nationals. The second link posted later was Lynn's 1971 Worlds exhibition, in which we see John Curry commenting on it to his students, and praising Lynn's artistry.

Thanks for the link to Lynn's MSG performance, skatesindreams!

12. skatesindreams

That MSG performance may have been her last.

13. Johnny_Fever

You can't really compare show programs to competition programs. Its not a level playing field. Show programs will almost always be more avant-garde and interesting.

14. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I love this piece of music and hoped to see one of my favorite skaters, Angela Nikodinov, skate her competitive free to this.

It's one of skating's lost programs, along with Nicole Bobek's "Titanic" and Michelle Kwan's "Bells of Moscow," that were never seen. All I can remember from talking to her about it was there was no 3S planned in it.

She did a gorgeous interpretive version of it for the Sears Open I believe but I can't find it on YouTube.

15. Jebrista

Jebrista New Member

I think Carolina's is the best. Choreographically everything fit perfectly.
    The two combo spins back to back went with the whirls in the music.
    Depending on which version of the program, the turns after the second double axel (without the triple toe in combo) went awesome with the music.
    Both triple loops went awesome with the music.
    The spiral sequence was spot on with the music, and lead right to the footwork sequence which I consider one of the best footwork sequences ever. For a level 4 (which she got at the 2011 Worlds) there was so much speed, grace, flow, and it went PERFECTLY to the music.
    Everything about the program was perfect. The best free program I've ever seen.

16. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

I love anything and everything Yuka does :rollin:

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

My issue with Klimkin's performance is that IMO the choreography is excellent for a competition program, but his edge quality and body line are pretty mediocre for a world-class competitor, which distracts from the overall effect.