Afternoon of a Faun

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MR-FAN, Jun 21, 2012.

Favorite L'après-midi d'un faune

1. Janet Lynn

42 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. John Curry

34 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Yuka Sato

15 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. Carolina Kostner

28 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

2. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Yuka! Yuka! Yuka!..and her costume is the best designed , most subtle and beautifully executed of that type of costume ever...:encore:

snoopysnake and (deleted member) like this.
  3. floskate

floskate Vacant

I think this is the best version of Janets Faun from the 1970's:

Janet Lynn 1971 Worlds EX

Waaaay too hard to decide between John & Janet :drama:

4. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

I think that Ilia Klimkin did a good job ... you guys have all forgotten about him, it seems :eek:

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The 4 skaters are among my favorites. It's very difficult.
    Of course, John Curry is probably the nearest from the ballet. And Janet Lynn has those qualities I love about her skating (light, expressive, freedom...).

But my favorite is probably Carolina Kostner, because of her Loop into the spiral, right into the step sequence.
    This step sequence is so beautiful, IMO.

7. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Klimkin was amazing! Such underrated skater, those commentators are really stupid...never shut up and spoil the program with such fruitless comments

Anyway, this music is for pure, gorgeous skaters and all of the skaters of the list are very pure, indeed. But I like Klimkin's the best, although he has a hunched back most of the time. He created something different and new with that program in the 6.0 were transitions were really needless

8. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

CAROLINA !!!!!! such a good program. One of the best step sequences ever

9. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

^^This. But in the end, I had to choose Janet. That 1971 Worlds exhibition is one of my favorite programs of all time. Still gives me chills when I watch it.

I love all four (and I love Klimkin's too). When I first heard that Carolina was going to use Janet's "signature" music, I literally cringed, but Carolina blew me away with that program, and I have been a huge fan ever since.

Interesting trivia - Janet Lynn was a judge at the World Pros at which Yuka skated this program. When Yuka found out, she was a bit nervous skating to this music in front of her, but Janet loved it of course.

10. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Carolina. I honestly couldn't stand this music until she skated to it. I called it 'Quaalude for an Afternoon of the Yawn'. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Janet's version is considered one of the best (may be THE best?). I voted for Yuka Sato though. I loved her skate to this music, although Janet may have interpreted it better.

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yuka's skating is so soft. her knees are amazing.

13. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Janet "The Queen before the Kween" Lynn... Heaven on Earth..

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

No Jennifer Robinson?!?!???

Can't find that anywhere online btw...her LP in her final year in 2004.
    It was skated very slowly but was nonetheless kinda pretty.

I just remember feeling bad for her because that year she actually skated pretty well at worlds from a # of jumps completed perspective, yet she kept dropping in the standings after the prelims to the short to the long. That was the same year Joannie made her first good impression with international senior judges skating a clean short and doing six triples in the long to finish 8th. The baton was passed at that comp.
    In fact, JRo even announced her retirement before the long which is a very unusual thing to do.

I met her in 2009 at 4CC and asked her about the 'skating well but dropping' phenomenon and she admitted that this was one of the signs that it was time to go. I'm sure there were other factors, though.

15. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Charlene Wong skated a very nice pro program to Faun, I believe it was choreographed by Toller, but I don't think it's in the same league as the programs in the poll.

16. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Although they are all lovely, my favorite by far is Ilia Klimkin. His program is so intricate, and brings out so much of the choreography of Nijinski. I don't think Klimkin was appreciated. This remains one of my all time favorites.

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Caro! Gorgeous program! :)

18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Needless to say, I vote for Ilia Klimkin on this one. Unfortunately, the poll has no "Other" choice. He looks like a mischievous faun playing, and does unexpected, intricate things, which for me is just what the music is pleading for the skater to do.

Poor man, he had the bad luck to be skating for Russia when Abt, Yagudin & Pluschenko were all competing. And he tended to do stuff that was underappreciated under 6.0.

19. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

It was skated slowly? Never would have thought that... She earned the pet name JSlo and came by it honestly. You almost wanted to get out there and push her to get her faster. She had some nice qualities, but no.

I'm glad someone mentioned Ilia Klimkin's "Faun". His skating was sublime. So intricate and unusual.

I couldn't choose. Lynn or Curry. The rest were, how best to say, inspired by those two greats.

20. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

thanks for the thread.

Janet Lynn's was just soooooo special. probably the most beautiful programme EVAH ....
    Coincidentally Susanna Poykio always reminded me of her, too bad Susanna never quite realized her potential ...

J.Ro's programme deserves a mention as well. I thought she really skated from her heart. :)

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!
    Although I can never decide between John and Janet.

John and Peggy did a beautiful version, also.
    Not available on YT.

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Janet Lynn - no comparison really. Even John Curry is shown in the vid of Lynn's exhibition skate discussing her skate with his students and lauding her artistry, and pointing out all the exquisite details.

I believe John Curry's theatrical ice performance (very much an homage to Nijinsky's ballet) is unsurpassed in its artistic interpretation. But it is an ice theater presentation, and not done in competition or skating exhibition. To me that places his performance in a totally different category altogether.

So, then comparing the competition performances: Klimkin did a fine job interpreting this music -- he took artistic risks and they paid off beautifully. I wish there was a better vid available of his performance. I think Wong and Yuka were very flowing and lovely in their interpretations. Yuka is especially smooth as she was always known for -- and very deep in her knees. I always loved watching her skate. However, despite Yuka's talent and wonderful accomplishments, I think Lynn and Kostner are the stronger skaters overall, especially technically and athletically in their respective performances. Lynn is superior to all artistically. Carolina is coming more into her own now artistically (I truly believe that Alissa's artistry has inspired Carolina among current contemporaries).

Carolina's Faun performance is choreographically beautiful (Lori Nichol did a wonderful job for her to this music). In this 2011 performance, Carolina did pop a jump and land somewhat awkwardly on two others. However, I believe if Carolina continues to make the right choices musically and choreographically and if she continues to harness her strengths and master her nerves (and do all the jumps), she will have an advantage over the rest of the current ladies field.

Yet despite Carolina's talent, beauty and all the current technical advances in the sport, Janet Lynn's performances are still technically and artistically the best ever, IMO. Lynn's was pure skating -- breathtaking and miraculous.

23. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I've only seen Curry's version. That's all I need to see.

24. skatesindreams

If you've not seen Janet, who was John Curry's inspiration in many ways, you have missed something special.

25. Johnny_Fever

I watched a Janet Lynn interview the other day. I didn't realize how Christian she is. In light of that, I'm going to have to take her out of the running.

26. floskate

floskate Vacant

Seriously? I don't necessarily agree with much, if not most of what Janet Lynn believes in, but that's no reason to just dismiss her skating. She's far too fabulous to ignore.

27. skatesindreams

I'm sorry that the fact that she considered her skating a "God-Given" gift, "disqualifies"/lowers her, in your opinion.
    Even if I don't share her fervor about her faith, I can - and do - appreciate her enormous gift; and the joy with which she shared it.

28. Johnny_Fever

Its so easy to rile you guys up. ;) I'll take a look at her interpretation and tell you what I think.

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I take exception to your "riling up" efforts. :p Your "interpretation" matters not, anyway. None of ours do in the scheme of things.

Fact remains: Janet Lynn has God-given talent and she magically graced the figure skating world with her wondrous gifts, inspiring all and sundry, except perhaps those unfortunate souls who've never seen her performances, or those who can't appreciate the essence of pure skating, or those who are visually and imaginatively challenged by the poor quality of old films/ tapes.

The Universe has spoken, and John Curry agrees!

30. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Here is another vote for Ilia Klimkin! I agree - he was really unlucky with skating for Russia in an era when Russian male skating was amazingly strong. Great skater, bad timing. :(