After three hard years, Mao Asada hopes to shine at Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Reuters article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/29/us-olympics-figure-skating-asada-idUSBRE9AS02L20131129
    Excerpt:

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  2. sapphiresky

sapphiresky New Member

"I feel (my mother's) presence every day, so I'm able to continue on as before."

Mao's story is so inspiring. She's been able to rise from the darkest moments of her life. Will be rooting for her!

3. Knigolubka

Knigolubka New Member

I hope she keeps this mindset.

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Mao is a beautiful skater with beautiful lines and soft movements. I wish her all the best. I think 1-2 may be nail biting.

5. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you Sylvia! Mao has gone through so much these past 3 years. I hope she takes that
    vacation in Bali after here retirement, she deserves it.

I wish her the best and of course the Gold Medal in Sochi. :)

6. Suze

Suze New Member

Thanks Sylvia.
    I'm happy to see finally some attention being given to Mao from English/American media.

While most figure skating fans won't glean new information about Mao from this article, it is good "intro" for the general public. Saying that I'm kind of sad since Mao is and has been one of fs's greatest stars for the last 7 years or so. Maybe if her top rival were American, we'd see more Mao-related news in American media. Oh well.

7. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

8. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Beautiful Mao. I hope her dreams are realized in Sochi! :)

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As will I.
    I hope that she has an absolute wonderful experience/competition/performance in Sochi.

10. miki88

miki88 New Member

Great article :) I hope Mao achieves her dream in Sochi. :)

11. rosewood

My rough translation of the interview video with Mao via Reuters. (Now the link to the interview video is available.)

Mao: Wishing for traveling around the country, somewhere such as Kyoto.

Mao: In the Vancouver season I was aiming at the gold medal which I had been aiming at all the way since I was very little. After finishing Vancouver Olympics, ...hummm when it finished, I was very regretful about my mistakes there.

Mao: What I'm aiming at (at this point) is to show my best performances that I couldn't show at Vancouver. This is a return match against myself who gave a flaw performance there.

Mao: If possible, I wouldn't have wanted to have these tough experiences. I've struggled and also worried a lot over the last three years. However, I think that pain made me get where I am now. If I hadn't gone through these tough times, I don't think I'd have come as far as I have, to being in my current condition.

Mao: After Vancouver I started all over again, basically re-doing everything from the fundamentals. Now I feel as if I've really made this my own.

***In the scene at the Mao's home rink, I recognize Mrs. Sato and Shanetta Folle who worked with Mao under TAT preparing for Vancouver Olympics and is also working with Mao in this season again. Supposedly she's brushing up Mao's Rach2 under TAT. ***

Mao: (The goal at this point is) To build up the physical strength to skate well until the very end of the programs. And also to give the whole satisfactory performances which I'm aiming at.

Mao: Now I'm enjoying myself. Now it's the time when I'm expecting a lot from myself. Things are not always enjoyable but I'm expecting.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  12. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

This whole thread has been a delight to read, honestly, and I agree with everyone's comments. :)

Also, thank you most sincerely rosewood for providing the translation. *hugs*

13. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping she does well the rest of the year. Her skating is absolutely beautiful now in basically every way, and she's so light and clean yet powerful and strong on the ice. I really like her tone, it seems like she's genuinely aiming for the best shape of her life. I'm thinking the judges this year won't mind giving her the title with great performances and if she really does get there, she's going to have great momentum from the GP and a lot of desire from being 2nd last time and her whole past quad.. It would be a really fitting end to her career, she deserves an OGM for how amazing she has been the past 10 years IMO.

14. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Absolutely rooting for her !!

And to think 8 years ago when she was a month too young to be eligible for Olympics, She beat everyone at the GPF just before :\

15. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

It may have been the best time for Asada to win the gold medal - the age rules seem unfortunate in one respect but I also think these rules are good for the long term future of ladies skating by keeping the skating to ladies and not little girls.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I disagree. If the little girls can compete with ladies in terms of their jumps, footwork, PCS, maturity, etc. physical age alone should not hold them back from winning medals. Imagine if Michelle Kwan had not been allowed to skate in 1996 (she was 15) worlds, or Tara Lipinski at the 1997 worlds (at age 14)? I don't see it helps the long term future of ladies skating, or mens for that matter. Mao was robbed of a chance to win the OGM when she was dominating the skating scene at the senior level.

17. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

But I think Asada would have stopped skating competitively - wouldn't have tried to fix her technical issues - and we wouldn't have been able to see her all these years if she had won the Olympics in '06 - and maybe the Olympic Champion in 2010 would have been Lipnitskaya - she won Russian Nationals four years ago didn't she - if the rules didn't exist the reality is that the Olympics would be filled with skaters under the age of 15 - and skaters who were older wouldn't be able to do the technical content and we see that time and again where young skaters have all the jumps and then lose them as they hit 16 or 17. I really don't want skating to become like gymnastics where in order to be Olympic Champion you need to be turning 16 or 17 that year or else you won't have the ability - next year is the middle year between Summer Olympics and I think if you were to follow the world gymnastics champions you would find that most (in the ladies event) don't make their respective Olympic teams two years later.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I believe Sotnikova won the Russian nationals at age 12 (not Lip) and she is still going through her development as a skater. I doubt that Asada would have stopped skating competitively if she had won the 2010 Olympics. She clearly loves skating. I don't care how young a skater is; if she is good enough to beat the older skaters, so be it.

Gymnastics is a whole different sport and I would not compare it with FS.

19. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

At least in the US, gymnastics is a hell of a lot more popular than figure skating too. Makes you wonder if the ISU might rethink the age rule in an effort to draw new fans to the sport. I prefer figure skating but the high turnover rate in gymnastics keeps it fresh for the fans and forces its athletes to keep increasing their technical skills. This will tick off some people but my friend writes for gymnastics for a living. He once made a crack to me about how conservative and stuck in the past figure skating was. He said he could walk away from the sport for a while, turn on the TV 8 years later and Michelle Kwan would still be winning nationals with the same content from 8 years earlier. It was said with complete disgust and disdain but I understand the gist of his point and I do think skaters not retiring for nearly a decade cost the sport some fans, but it also kept some fans in the seat too I guess. Having a higher turnover rate very well may increase skating's popularity.

20. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

You're right, Sotnikova was who I was thinking of - I don't know whether Asada would have continued or not but I could see the motivation being lower especially with the reworking of her jump technique if she already had the Olympic gold medal at home.

21. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Is it really? How do gymnastics broadcasts do between the Olympics? I didn't find any data on a quick Google search? I also wonder how much online subscriptions cut into TV ratings, if those are what people are going by. Is there a gymnastics equivalent to IceNetwork? I know that I often don't watch the TV broadcasts if I've already seen the event live online.

22. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Well, yes ...
    But you could arguably say that about any skater .
    And it wouldn't always be a good thing

Honestly ?
    I hate Olympic years,
    You get to see the athletes you've followed for 4\8 years get edged on the last turn by youngsters\people who are having one solid season at the right time\people who are pushed to higher scores by politics, to win the most prestigious honour ... no picnic

Christ, I'm still dealing with the fact that at least 4 of my favourites won't even make it out of their nationals

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  23. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I don't know about ratings but gymnastics has far more participants in the US. You can find gymnastics classes in almost any town, even if you have to go to a YMCA for them. Figure skating doesn't have nearly the same amount of participants. Having worked in both figure skating and gymnastics, the latter group far outweighs the former. It's not even close. You don't even need inside info to know that , though. Just compare the "likes" and "followers" of major outlets for each sport on Twitter and Facebook, for starters. Gymnastics kills figure skating in numbers.

24. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

25. NadineWhite

Thanks so much for that link, Karpenko, I must've watched it at least a dozen times now. :) And I can't get over the fact that Mao's *second* 3axel is even better than her first! :encore: Not only that, it looks like she's going for TWO 3/3 combos!?! If so, that means she'll be the first lady in history to do an 8 triple long program. :eek: WOW, she just keeps getting better & better. :smokin: She's going for more content than she did back in 2010; not only two 3axels, but an 3 triple program as well. :hat1:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO MAO!!!!!!!!!!:kickass:

26. NadineWhite

I've been trying to correct my mistake for the past 10 minutes, but am unable to, thus this extra post. I meant to say 8 triple program.

27. rosewood

Mao had planned 8 triple program at the beginning of this season. see this interview http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...23rd-BD-lt-3&p=4016618&viewfull=1#post4016618

And then she got good response from the practices with her 3As before NHK Trophy. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...23rd-BD-lt-3&p=4047261&viewfull=1#post4047261

She practiced every her runthroughs with TWO 3As.(3A, 3A-2T) after finishing NHK Trophy. Maybe her planned jump contents have seven triples at Grand Prix final. She plans to do 3F-3Lo as the recovery for the two 3A. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...age-GPF-2013&p=4069063&viewfull=1#post4069063

It's a shame I don't have enough time to translate the article but I read something that she wish to do all of 3A, 3A-2T, and 3F-3Lo sooner or later. And supposedly her long program would consist of 8 triples.

...she is such a egoistic athlete. Love to see her lion hearted again. Do whatever you want since you want to cap your life as a competitive skater in this season, Mao. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013