After Euros - which man do you think Russia should send to Sochi?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by miffy, Jan 18, 2014.

?

Which man should Russia send to Sochi?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2014.
  1. Plushenko - Reigning Platinum medallist

41 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Kovtun - Russian Champion

31 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Voronov - European silver medallist

60 vote(s)
    41.4%
  4. Menshov - European bronze medallist

13 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Does Euros change anything? Will they try to please :TT1: Or will it all hinge on this invisible test skate? :shuffle:

2. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

:rofl: @ reigning platinum medalist!!!

miffy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Eys that's pretty rude way to define Plushenko status since there is no platinum Olympic medal. you're not attempting to bias the voting or oh so subtly express an opinion are you. No surely not . Nice try lol.

I loves me some plush but I voted for Voronov.

4. starryxskies

starryxskies New Member

Dilemma: Kovtun or Plush.
    RFed: sends Voronov.

Ok so that will never happen. But how hilarious would that be? Plushenko sure made the best gamble by refusing Euros. If he placed lower than Kovtun it would be game over. I personally think his time has passed though. Kovtun has yet to perform lights out at a big international competition. Sure, Voronov is just as inconsistent. But not like Plush has been either this season.

To be honest though, whoever they send is a non-factor anyway. Might as well send Kovtun for future experience. I did vote for Voronov but he's already 26 so sending him would be wasteful if the RFed is looking towards results and the future.

5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'd like it to be Menshov, but objectively I'll go with Voronov.

6. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

Voronov should go but he will be screwed over just like he was in 2010. 2010 was even worse since they bumped him off for their then 2nd spot in favor of some total nobody who had never beaten him before for no reason at all.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Whoever they send is a huge factor for the team event. Russia can't throw away the men's discipline when Canada and US have two or three. Voronov is actually the most consistent. So then what? No one needs to be focused on he individual event. It's just a non factor. But the team. You need a great sp skater under pressure? Who is that? It's not kovtun at all. Will they throw away potential for gold for kovtun's future? People can say plushenko's past too. It's not something to throw away but actually use. Unless you think Russia pairs dance ladies is enough for them to contend for gold and they can throw away men.

8. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

No, actually, it was just a joke - and I even voted for Plushenko.

9. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I voted for platinum medalist Plushenko. :rofl:
    None of the Russian men are medal threats and none have shown any kind of consistency. Well I guess you could argue they are consistently inconsistent. :p Might as well send Plushenko who will bring name recognition, excitement and media attention for Russia.

Send Kovtun to worlds for experience. Apart from the Olympics, I don't think it gets any bigger than worlds in Japan. :cheer:

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

It wasn't funny..because Plushenko didn't create platinum medal for himself..

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny. :shuffle: :rofl:

12. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

:drama: Then I apologise to immoimeme, lala and anyone else I offended by referring to Plushenko in this unfunny and rude way! :drama:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Voronov, please. It won't happen but, hey, we can dream.

14. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I think the answer is still Kovtun. Out of them all, he is the only one who can actually challenge for gold. Plush couldn't even win with a quadless Lysacek, do people really think he would have anything to say against quad-machines like Hanyu, Chan or even Fernandez?

Sure, Kovtun is overhyped almost as much as Gracie Gold, but objectively, he is Russia's best shot at a medal. Voronov has been inconsistent all his career and one good competition is just an exception that proves the rule.

15. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

It made me giggle :rofl::shuffle:

16. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Made me giggle too! I think we all need to lighten up a bit. I must admit I really don't know who they will send or should send. The universe will unfold.

17. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out.

skateboy, alilou, miffy and 3 others like this.
  18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I did not find it funny either. I found it derogatory.

I agree that it created a bias because for the other three options no such a derogatory comment was made (not that it would have made a difference to haterz, but others may be). The OP could have simply written Plushenko or Past Olympic/world champion. I would have written just Plushenko. There was no need to write anything after that. Everyone is aware of his past accomplishments and current struggles.

I voted for Plushenko (may be the bias influenced me in a reverse way :) ). I would love to see Menshov get a chance to go to the Olympics -because he was denied the worlds opportunity last year- but I know it's not going to happen.

Voronov has performed better than Kovtun, IMO but I don't know the politics there. Kovtun clearly looks like he had one great performance at the Russian nationals, and he is way too inconsistent to carry such great pressure right now.

So my vote goes to:

Plushenko if he can prove through a skate off that he is in a good enough shape to skate both SP & LP competitively (better than the other three)

Otherwise send Voronov. It's not a bad thing if someone other than Plushenko gets a chance to go to the Olympics; I just don't want it to be Kovtun because he needs a couple more years to learn how to handle the pressure. JMO.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  19. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I thought it was hilarious OP.

I'm not sure what bias it would create in a poll that has no weight and is clearly meant to be light hearted.
    Personally I think they should just do Eeny, meeny, miny, moe! Unless Plushenko really has more ability then we might think based off this season, it doesn't look like it matters much either way.

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

My thoughts too. I'm mainly concerned with the team event because I don't think any of them can challenge for an individual medal. Menshov and Kovtun are too inconsistent for the team event. If Plush is in shape enough to land his jumps, send him, cause he'll get better PCS internationally than Voronov. He might place 1 or 2 spots higher with the same jump content, and that's huge in the team event.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Plushenko landed clean quads in both SP & LP at the Russian nationals. The quads are not his problem. Stamina is.

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Is there an anyone but Plushenko option?

23. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I agree that Plush helps them in the team event as he is capable of getting through the short program with landed jumps and generous PCS before his body gives out. Getting through all the jumps in the long is another thing entirely, but the way the team event is structured, the worst he could finish is 6th even with a crappy skate.

24. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

:drama:

'The OP' with the apparently very bad sense of humour actually wants them to send Plushenko...

:shuffle:

25. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Still laughing :rofl: Although now maybe because of the total lack of sense of humor heading into this Olympic season. Get a grip people.

Embrace the platinum and run with it. :rockstar: Kwan fans made a medal for her and I say more power to them and to her. LEGEND. :respec:

I say give the lifetime achievement trip to Sochi to Plushenko to go with the platinum medal. He deserves it!

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Plushenko did not award himself a Platinum medal, as Lala pointed out. Plushenko hatred on this board is well known. Given that, IMO the Pt medal part could have been left out.

About the 'sense of humor' point: If it was your favorite skater, you (or some others if it's not you) might be reacting the same way too - a derogatory joke at the expense of a skater you love.

However, Miffy, the OP, graciously apologized immediately. I applaud him/her for that. Apology accepted.

27. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Its a shame you view that medal and all references to it as derogatory. I think its awesome and well deserved. Plushenko is a once in a lifetime skater that transcends gold or silver at this point. He is a legend in the sport and I think whoever created that medal for him did it with a kind heart. ;)

Heck, If I could I would give Daisuke a medal made of "adamantium" and to heck with what everyone thought. :p

28. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

I'd say Voronov. :)

29. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

:rofl: God I wish I could rep you!!!

30. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Seriously, some of these folks need some perspective. If it was derogatory to anyone, it was not to Plushenko but to the blinded-by-love folks who invented the silly platinum medal thing after Vancouver. I guess maybe not being able to see the lighter side of things is the flip side of not being able to accept defeat graciously.

Back to the poll. If I was the Russian fed I'd name Plushenko with Kovtun first alternate. Yes, Voronov skated better at Euros, but he has a wildly inconsistent track record, and both Kovtun's GP results were strong enough to qualify him for the final.

One thing we need to remember about the team event is that they will not simply be adding up scores.

Points will be awarded in each phase based on placements, from 10 points for first place to 1 point for last place. In the team event, the Russians are likely to place 1st in pairs, no worse than 4th and more likely 3rd in dance, giving them likely 17 or 18 points apart from singles, probably battling with Canada, who earn at least 16 and maybe as many as 18 or even 19 points in these two phases. That leaves Plushenko/Kovtun/Voronov & Sotnikova/Lipnitskaya to collectively outplace Chan and Osmond. That means the Russian man probably won't need to beat Chan, just place close to him. IMO just looking at what he did at his Nationals, Plushenko is strong enough to do that and he is the most consistent and reliable of this crop. All the other Russian men are too inconsistent.

Those SP placement points will carry over to the finals, except only 5 teams move forward, making the difference between first and last place now 10 points to 5 points. (I assume this part was put in to help out the countries with one weak discipline.)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014