Advice on working with skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chantilly, Feb 4, 2013.

1. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Hey everyone. I thought I would try the forum for some suggestions on an idea of mine that has been brewing for a while. I am trained as an actor and have studied it for many years. But as some of you might be aware it is a tough business and I haven't achieved the professional success I would have liked. But a couple of years ago, it occurred to me that my knowledge could be useful to help figure skaters with their expression and interpreting the music. I know some skaters do that now. Kurt has mentioned it and I think Weaver and Poje have mentioned it too. I know they work with choreographers but my particular knowledge would be about helping a skater find their way into the music. By helping them tell the story that often exists in their musical selection and developing that story for themselves and the audience. I am totally willing to volunteer for a while with my intention of making it a business. But as it is an art form as well as a sport I would like to think it might be an extra competitive element. And maybe I can help get rid of the O-face. I love figure skating, have been watching it for over thirty years and feel like I have a good enough knowledge of it to work with skaters. If I could combine two of my passions and find a new career, I would be over the moon.

Any ideas how I could start or if this would be something coaches would even be interested in developing with their students?

Thanks

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Contact your local rink, talk to some coaches and see if they are interested. Or contact a local skating club and see if they might be interested in doing a session as an off-ice activity.

3. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Thanks!