Advice needed - thinking of switching to Mac

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Ajax, Apr 8, 2010.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I had a program freeze up or quit on me but it certainly doesn't happen with anywhere NEAR the regularity of a Windows based computer. Maybe it is just me...

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  2. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I have had programs quit suddenly but never freeze up the way stuff freezes on my Dell laptop. Even if I get the "pinwheel of death" I can still force quit. On my Dell, things sometimes lock up so badly I have to shut it down with the power button. The very first day I got it, I had to remove the battery to get it unlocked.:rolleyes:

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yes, that's a good point. No matter how "frozen" a program gets - as in I can't even click on the drop down menus at the top. I can always force quit from the dock. If that happens a few times in a row, I re-start the computer (which is faster than shutting down completely) and it clears it up. Honestly, freezing does not happen very often, though.

My biggest problem is losing work when n app. suddenly closes. But, it is usually my own fault, for not saving often enough and for having too many items open at once.

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on projector + Dell laptop issues that I have daily at school. My favorite is that if the projector is disconnected and you have not switched the view function back to computer only, the laptop screen goes blank until you restart the computer. Or how it resets the screen resolution randomly every time I use it with the projector. Our tech people helpfully explained to me that an "old" laptop gets "quirky". Yes. I understand now. Because they gave me this one when it was brand new 15 months ago and it's only been used for 12 (shut down and stored for the summer).

I would pay them to hook my Macbook up to the network.

5. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

Trust me, I am not "pro PC" either. I'm just saying, all computers have their quirks and frustrations. There's no "magically awesome" computers out there. I've seen people shell out significantly more money for a mac thinking it will be the holy grail of computers - and while I do still think they are better overall than PCs, I'm no longer 100% sure they've won me over for life.

At least with your Dell projector issues, you can still use both pieces of equipment eventually. I can't use a projector with my mac. EVER (until I reinstall OS). Because I made a mistake ONCE. Restarting the computer is a heck of a lot of an easier fix than reinstalling the OS.

Another teacher in my school made the same mistake and has the same problem. Two or three students with macs have the same problem, too. I am the resident "tech expert" at school, unofficially. Kids bring me their laptops after school constantly to ask me to help them with this or that - which is how I started to notice the pattern and started to do more research about it. We're all so used to hot swapping and not having to worry about having to unplug things in certain orders - apparently with macs and projectors, you do have to still do it in a certain order or else face the "detect displays" feature to not work at all.

I have had major major issues with PCs too. I've had to reinstall OSs there as well. My Vista machine, last year, would boot to the password screen, I would put it in, and then all I'd get was a cursor on a black screen. That was fun times.

So I'm not trying to do the mac vs pc debate. I hear both sides. I'm just saying both kinds of computers have small and large annoyances.

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Restarting this POS Dell takes about five minutes and it currently will not store my network profile, so every restart means that it has to reset everything. I cannot access my docs without going to the c drive and can't save anything new unless it is attached to an existing doc in the c-drive. "Quirk" hardly seems like an accurate description of these issues. I used to be in the neutral camp as well, having used other people's Macs and having a reasonably well-functioning HP desk top at work. Now I have an awesome Macbook at home that does not have "quirks" let alone "issues" and struggling with my second POS Dell laptop at work--which also won't hibernate when closed, it continues to run as far as we can tell, then hibernates when opened again and has to be shut down manually by holding the power button for 30 seconds or so and restarted to function, so if I have to take the computer to another room I have to carry it open----I've turned into an Apple person, complete with the sticker on my car.

7. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Because I am more familiar with PCs, since I use them 98% of the time, I thought it was just me who could not figure out why my photos were stored in multiple places. I did learn that if you deleted one of the images, its clones would disappear as well. Too bad I didn't make note of which image was the master and where it was located. :duh:

Need to spend more time researching this, but my at-home computer is - for me, at least - just for fun.

8. cruisin

I know you've said it would be a big pain in the butt, but you really should give the Apple Geniuses a shot at helping you. It may be that your only option is re-installing the OS, but (fingers crossed) they may have another option you can try. I know that they have helped me numerous times, with little corners I've backed myself into :lol:. You sound a whole lot more tech savvy than I am, so other than suggesting that you contact Apple, I cannot give you much advice.

I know you said that you are not close to an Apple Store, but how far away is the nearest? They are usually in malls, so maybe (if it's not too far), you could plan a shopping trip with a friend?

9. silverstars

silverstars New Member

If you just want a basic computer, go with the MacBook. You'll save money, and it sounds like you don't need the extra things that come with the Pro. I also suggest going for the Office for Mac--it'll make downloading things so much easier and make your computer more compatible with a still very-PC world.

As far as converting, I have a PC at school, but my parents are on Macs at home (and I'm kind of jealous of them because they're pretty, but I actually haven't--fingers crossed--had many issues with my PC). The biggest difference for me was getting used to the operating system, as someone who grew up with Windows. I'd minimize or save something and then have absolutely no idea where it went, but you'll get used to that really quickly. I tried to install a few programs from my PC onto my parents' Mac and ran into a few compatibility issues there, so that was a bit annoying, but other than that, there really isn't a huge difference.

As far as Macs not crashing, though, they're not the perfect computer. You'll soon learn to hate that @$@! beach ball thing, and my Mac doesn't seem to freeze any more or less frequently than my PC (which is on Windows 7). They are less prone to viruses, however, which is certainly nice. And if you're into taking photos or anything, I think that the Mac program, iPhoto, is infinitely better than anything that Microsoft has put out recently.

10. cruisin

I'm puzzled by that problem. Whenever I save something, I select where I want it saved.

11. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that while the basic white Macbook will likely be plenty sufficient, if you want a MacBook Pro I'd wait for the next upgrade which is overdue. Either you get the new Intel Arrandale i5-i7 processors, or you'd likely have a discount on the current models. :)

12. cruisin

Ajax, before you go shopping, if you haven't already, take a look here: http://store.apple.com/us

It might give you some sense of what you want/need.

13. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Not you, cruisin, but I always get a kick out of the mac-phobes who claim a Mac is only good for graphics. Erm...what are graphics but massive number-crunching? It's a very intuitive OS. i mean, shutting down a PC always makes me chuckle, you have to go to "start"?!?

14. cruisin

I hear ya! I started with Mac mostly because I needed the graphic capacity that PC's just couldn't manage. However, that may have been the initial reason, but now I wouldn't use anything but a Mac even if I were not looking for graphics.

I love that you mention the "start" to shut down on PC's, I could never figure out the logic. Macs are just more logical and intuitive.

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thanks, cruisin! :) I went to an Apple store to ask them about the differences between the models - I wasn't too clear on what's the difference between a Macbook and a Macbook Pro. After listening to their 30 minute explanation I'm still not sure why anyone would go for a Macbook Pro. Apparently it has a backlit keyboard for that one-in-a-million situation where you'd find yourself computing in the dark (big deal, I can type without looking at the keyboard), the aluminum casing is supposed to be more durable than the white plastic of the Macbook (I don't go banging my computer into walls, in fact I rarely move it from my desk), and the Macbook actually has a bigger hard drive than the Macbook Pro - 250 GB vs 160 GB. The only plus for me of the Macbook Pro is that it has an SD card slot and I love being able to just put the card into the computer without having to fiddle around with USB cables anytime I want to upload my photos on the computer, but I'm not sure that an SD card slot is worth 200$...

Anybody have any opinions on the Macbook vs. Macbook Pro?

16. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Ajax - my MacBook has a backlit keyboard. It was just included, I never asked for it. I also automatically has the aluminium casing (which I put a red hard case over). I have an multicard reader (SD and CF and some others that I don't use) that plugs directly into my USB port - no cords. Obviously, I never understood why anyone would get the pro either ;)

17. cruisin

The MacBook is more than adequate for most purposes. My daughter has one that is now 3-4 years old. She is running the whole Adobe suite (including animation), Word, and has more music on it than anyone can fathom. It still runs fast and efficiently. My son's is starting to give him a little trouble, it's almost 6 years old and went through 4 years of hard time at college with him. It works fine, if it's plugged in, but the battery is not holding much of a charge anymore. It's not worth replacing in an older laptop, though.

18. sk8pics

My iBook is now about 7 years old and going strong (I gave it to a friend recently).

I did buy a MacBookPro, last year. I'm thinking the processor/clock speed was faster than the MacBook, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. It's also pretty light with the aluminum case and has more recyclable components than the MacBook.

19. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

Here are some quick guides:

Macbook vs. Macbook Pro
    Mac Buyer's Guide (how soon new product is coming out) Basically, don't buy anything right now. ;)

In my household, we've always found the second cheapest MacBook Pro (or equivalent Mac professional laptop line) to be the best deal. You tend to get better performance, hard drive space, memory slots (max RAM), for your :bribe:. A better processor/more RAM can let you get more years out of the machine. We do have intensive computing needs, but all of our laptops last us around 5 years and then we pass them on to friends/family.

This post was written on an almost 5-year old PowerBook G4. :) If I could put some more RAM in it (I'm maxed out) and if it had an intel processor I would be :D right now.

20. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

21. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

HisWeirness and hydro, thank you so much! I was all set to order the MacPro two days ago but held off til today after seeing the links you posted, and am I glad I did! Now I can get the updated model :)

22. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That is depressing! I just bought my MacBook Pro a few months ago and bought one for my sister a few weeks ago, apparently I totally overpaid for obsolete machines! :(

23. cruisin

You can return/exchange your sister's, if you bought it less than 30 (I think) days ago. Check your receipt.

24. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I switched to Mac in summer 2009 after using PC for 11 years. I made a decision after working a part time job on Mac. I was scared, but after 10 minutes - the machine won me. everything was so simple and easy.

It took me 2 days to switch completely after watching tutorials on apple web site and reading forums of new mac users.

I still use PC (xp) bc i have Lenovo laptop that I love. I do not like xp that much. what can I say - Mac OS owns my heart.

25. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Isn't that always the way with electronics and technology ;)

26. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Thanks, good point; I'll see if I can dig it up....

Sadly, yes.

27. cruisin

I hope this doesn't sound terrible, but, you should return your sister's, give her yours and then keep the new one :). She still get's the computer you bought her and you get the new version. I think that's only fair since you so generously bought her one.

28. sk8pics

I think I knew someone once who bought a Mac right before a new model came out, and they got some money back from the store. So, yeah, check on that. And then just stop reading the ads/watching the commercials and so on, because there will always be a better deal, right after you buy!:lol:

29. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

That seems to be the way it is with all electronics. That's why once I buy I don't pay much attention to new stuff for a while, but I do keep up with the software updates. I guess it's something like, "Lalalalala, I can't hear you!" ;)

30. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member