Adventure of the Seas

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by JasperBoy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Does anyone know which skaters are currently on Adventure of the Seas? So
    Someone I know is sailing in 2 weeks and wants to know who she will see Thanks

2. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

The website does not list any skaters names, just basics about the shows.

I would not expect to see any "stars," she is likely to see Nationals level skaters who didn't place high enough to be on World or Olympic teams, or even skaters who never made it to Nationals but tried out for the cruise shows and were accepted. That said, it should still be an enjoyable show. Royal Caribbean lists a skater named Matt Kessinger as Ice Captain for the Mariner of the Seas. He listed himself participating in the Olympic trials in 1998. I don't recall him ever medalling at Nationals in the Senior level, but he certainly seems to be enjoying what he does now!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/behindTheSmiles/profile.do?INTERVIEWID=7

Also, note that he points out there is no "lead skater."

3. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Actually there have been several national canadian skaters who also had internationals that have been skaters - I believe Christopher Maybee was one and others too? I also had a friend who watched the show on the cruise and was surprised how good it was and compared it to any of the fluff events you see on land.. so have fun :)

4. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

As far as I know, Chris Mabee is still working the cruise ship circuit, although I couldn't tell you exactly where. He's the only elite international skater I can think of ('06 4CC Silver Medalist, '07 Canadian Silver Medalist and World team member).

5. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Vaughn Chipeur has done them as well

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Sean Rodgers has been quoted in an ice network articles saying he can do a quad on the teeny tiny cruise ship ice rinks.

Even if they aren't "big names" RCCL only uses excellent skaters.

(The one Sylvia linked to isn't the one I was talking about- it was in one of the Inside Edge Columns)

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Matt's Nationals freeskate on TV. It's nice to hear him doing well.

9. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I took the cruise last year-- Chris Mabee was the skate manager or some sort-- Shaun was on board, a girl from Salt Lake City whose name escapes me (she was with Szabovcik when she was eligible), and there was a US pairs team who were just asked to leave before we boarded the ship-- they weren't a team when they were eligible-- but professionally. There was a British male with an American female partner, too.

10. Awesome

Awesome Member

Shaun Rogers, Emma Phibbs, Katie Orscher and Michael Felding are on Adventure now!!!! There are more, but not sure who

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

How was the quality of the skating and the show in general?

12. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Do you know why? :watch:

13. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

The shows involve harnesses and a bit of flying so it's quite exciting. The ice is very small but you'll still see some decent jumps and spins. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the shows. Of course a few minutes (hours... days...) in the Martini bar before the show really helps.

14. shopper

shopper Member

When I was on mariner of the seas a couple of years ago the had mainly russian junior skaters. But the show was wonderful. Amazing what the can do on a tiny ice surface. I am going on liberty and I will post if there is anyone I recognize...

Chris maybee has been on oasis and independence.

15. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Cheesy, but fun.

16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Yes.:p

17. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

I worked with Shelby Lyons on the Adventure in 2002....teeny little thing. Needed a size 2 character shoe for the parade, which we just about never found.

18. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

IIRC Erica Risseeuw and Robert Paxton are there (although they might not be now but it sounds familiar so I have a feeling that is the one they joined.)

19. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:rofl: Tease.

20. javachip

javachip New Member

I know that Emma Phibbs and Dimitry Semykin are on along with Katie Orscher and Shaun Rogers! Great cast!!!!

21. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

My friend says thanks. She knows the skaters And is looking forward to her cruise even more. Thanks everyone for the info

22. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

There was that adagio pairs team that did cruise ships... I think their names were Melanie and Fred? Or something?

23. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I doubt that they will do that again-- Fred won a couple of those reality skating competitions, and I think that would be a step back for him.