Adult Skating/2011 US Adult Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by purple skates, Apr 23, 2011.

1. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I loved that! I'm impressed with the skating at that level. It makes me wish I wasn't such a klutz on ice! :p Thanks for sharing the link.

3. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Thanks, sk8er1964! I hope you had fun at AN.

I recognized a couple people that I know. I don't think I'm ever going to compete FS again (never been competitive at Bronze), I hope I can at least get back to doing the elements, and all the basic skating stuff, someday....

4. fan

fan Active Member

does anyone have any experience competing at CND adult nats? What's it like?

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the clip. That was a really good advertisement for adult skating. Very well put together.

6. purple skates

One of my skating friends' (she was in the video) coach's husband did it.

fan, I know people from a yahoo group that have skated at CAN, but I don't have any first hand experience of it.

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It's always fun - a great group of people, very supportive. The judging is always a bit wacky - because it's a national event, there are judges from across the country, some from areas that have more adult competitors than others. So there are always judges who don't know how to assess adult skating, and are a bit harsh or a bit loose as a result. This year, for example, some of the marks for interpretive were insanely high. Even some of the people who got those great marks were wondering why :lol:

In the last few years it has not been as much fun for the singles/pairs/dance competitors as it was before, because adult synchro has been added (previously adult synchro was part of the "regular" national synchro championships), and I don't think either group is too happy about it. The synchro skaters would sooner be at "real" nationals [their words, not mine] and the singles/pairs/dance skaters don't like things like having to be into and out of dressing rooms at set times so that there's "enough" time for the synchro skaters.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  8. purple skates

Synchro is at your adult nationals? That sucks. As much as I absolutely believe synchro is a good thing for skating, the teams are a nightmare on locker rooms! Of course, my experience is with standard (ie young) teams so hopefully the adults are a lot better -- but still. The logistics of it is scary.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Synchro locker room timing is WEIRD. I've only done ISI synchro- but the way they shuffle you in and out of the rooms is frustrating. We've always been required to show up at the locker rooms fully ready, minus skates- because there isn't enough time to use them for anything else.

My dream is to go to adult nationals, and then my goal would be 1 ordinal that isn't last place. I'm a crappy skater, but I just want to be good enough to go.

10. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Agree! Also, synchro really tears up the ice, so I would hope they save it until after the singles are done. Back when I used to do ISI competitions, a lot of competitions would include all disciplines. At one competition, I had to skate after two adult synchro teams performed. The competition was running behind schedule, so the rink decided not to resurface after the teams were finished. That was some really rough skating!

11. minx

minx New Member

That's a really nice video about adult skating.

Canadian Adult event is even worse if you're skating singles and synchro. I had several friends who did both, their memories are apparently a blur of costume changes and dressing rooms.

I've been looking at some of the protocol sheets and watching the videos, the judging indeed, was insanity. I suppose the placements would have been the same, but some of the PCS marks :eek::rolleyes::confused: Besides the high marks, there are skaters I know who got harsh marking. The inconsistencies among judging panels vexes skaters terribly.

But what's skating without complaining about the judging? :lol:

12. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

The double axel is Natalie Shaby. It's a beauty as always.

I posted in my thread in the "Moves In The Field" section, but here's my program from AN. It was a great experience, and I think anyone considering it should try to compete. This was my first year, and I'm very happy I skated:

http://youtu.be/zrzQlIlZm-0

I also posted a link to the mini "blog" I wrote while at AN. It's in the other thread, and has some photos from SLC.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The "reasoning" behind it is that adult synchro skaters also do pairs/dance/singles, so it's fairer to them to have all the adult national events together. Well, this generally....isn't true. There are a few skaters who do both, but only a very few. Even recreational adult teams who do synchro seriously enough to want to go to nationals spend enough time on training that the skaters usually do not have time to do singles/dance/pairs (or to do them well enough to want to compete at nationals).

The combination of the two is a huge problem not only in the logistics but also in the scheduling of the actual events. To me, if there has to be both kinds of competition at the same event, it would make more sense to have all the synchro on one day (or more than one day if it needs more than that) and all the other events on another day or days. But for some reason, the synchro events are mixed in with the singles/pairs/dance events. Which is a major pain in the butt with hordes of people shuffling in and out of the arena, loooong ice resurfacing, etc. etc.

And something else that I didn't think about until the actual event. Synchro judges sit on a really high platform, so they can see the patterns and shapes the teams are making. Singles/pair/dance judges sit at ice level so they can see edges and details. Since adult synchro was added at Canadian adult nationals, the judges sit at kind of an in-between level, higher than usual for singles/dance/pairs but lower than usual for synchro. So nobody is happy.....

14. purple skates

I watched you skate live at AN. It was a very enjoyable program. :)

15. Aussie Willy

Well now I know you are a guy. :D

That was a really nice program. Smooth skating and very clean. Nice to see a guy pointing their toe and have lovely posture.

I hope you would consider coming to our event in Australia next year (well I hope that any adult skaters reading this would consider coming to our event).

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed your program!! Congrats! :cheer2: Thanks for posting.

17. benfoldsrock

benfoldsrock Member

This was my first year at the adult national too. It was a lot of fun. People are all really nice and very supportive. I was very impress with Some of the competitors. I am sure it's hard to balance full time work, skating, and living a life all at once. If you have ice network def. check out some of the skating.

Just to point out a few. Should check Michael Ferlic's in champ men's 2axel-2toe. Huge. And stewart's lutz kick flip over thing.... i tried and could never get the height to do it....natalie's 2axel is always nice. I love how some guy did a black swan artistic program and the outfit is awesome.. i am going to try to find that video. Always love diana's energy in the program, i saw her at sectional and was wowed. Also the spins of master sr. jr. lady i think her name was jaclyn.

I think this is where you see how people love the sports. I am going to train hard next year to add more event and hopefully do gold dance if i ever finishing passing my tests.

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting sk8er1964 -- that was great to see. Also, nice to see a former top-level skater, Rory Flack, coaching an adult skater. Good to hear from former skaters, Charlie Tickner and Doug Mattis too -- were they part of the official organizing committee?

scootie12 -- Thanks for posting your performance, and congratulations! I had a smile on my face the whole time watching. Very inspirational! Only people who understand skating, or who have tried it themselves realize what it takes to reach the level of expertise you displayed. :)

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Yay for scootie! :D :encore:

20. purple skates

aftershocks - no, I don't think they were involved with the organizing committee (who, by the way, did a marvelous job running this comp). The Salt Lake City FSC did it. Charlie Tickner has been at many ANs. Don't know about the other two since I haven't met them.

The first time I met Charlie at an AN I was starstruck. :lol: He's a very nice person and very much supports adult skating.

21. Aussie Willy

I met Charlie Tickner at Adult Nationals in 98. I too was a bit starstruck because he was such a fabulous skater. At the time the person who introduced me had a son who was learning from him. They commented that he skated in a really old pair of boots that they were trying to encourage him to replace.

I have seen a couple of Doug Mattis professional programmes. Fantastic skater and very entertaining.

22. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

You have such an easy double sal! Very nice!

The first time I met Charlie Tickner, I told him I was a huge fan back when I was 12. He said, "Gee, thanks a lot." It was actually very funny the way he said it.

Lloyd Eisler was also there coaching, and Ken Shelley was on the tech panel.

If you have Ice Network definitely check out the Championship Men's Junior/Senior event. Grant Huang's winning performance is just beautiful and inspiring. I've also been a fan of Joseph Radomile over the years, and his program was nice this year, too.

23. purple skates

A couple of years ago (Grand Rapids) Richard Dalley was on my dance event panel. I talked with him -- well I think I babbled :lol: -- because he was THE huge local star when I was a tween/high school skater. He was really nice too.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.