Adult skaters - how often do you skate?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by littlerain, Mar 7, 2014.

1. vickko

vickko New Member

Almost 6 to 7 times a week, but only two or three "serious" figure skating sessions.

The other sessions are public skating, just to work on edges, turns and balance. I find the public sessions good for just getting my feel back on the skates (and breaking in a new pair). Fortunately lots of public rinks here.

I save the expensive club session ice for jumps and spins, things that are banned on the public sessions.

2. treesprite

treesprite Member

Freestyle is allowed here on publics. There are private freestyle lessons going on in most public sessions even when the rink is packed. The biggest part of guarding is keeping the other skaters from cutting through the center of the ice, and when people cut through the coaches give us a scolding for not keeping them out.

3. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I'm trying to do 40-minute public sessions twice a week. (The public sessions I go to are quiet weekday sessions, usually only 10-20 people on the ice, and you can practice freestyle elements.) This week, I managed 3 sessions for the first time.

It's tough because I can only skate during the 4 mornings a week my daughters are in preschool. And I have to take care of other things, too, during that time, like doctor's appts, school-related stuff, household stuff, sometimes errands. Not to mention school vacations, snow days, teacher development days, etc., keep interrupting!

4. littlerain

littlerain New Member

If only life wouldn't get in the way, right? The last two weeks or so, I've only been able to get to my lesson and that is sad! And it isn't as if I didn't have the time to get to a public here or there - i just feel exhausted! So i applaud all of you with families to take care of!

5. axl

axl Active Member

I'm an older skater who started a few years ago - it's such a challenge - but I love it! I'm happy with my progress as I could barely stroke around and now I am working on pre bronze and bronze moves - trying to get to the rink 3-5 days a week

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I skate at least 3 hours a week (2 sessions of 1.5h). And sometimes at public sessions.
    I find it very enough because there are not so many people in our groups, and 2 very good teachers.

7. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I skate 3 times a week - one 40 minute lesson, one 50-minute practise and one 50-minute group class that I teach (it gives me plenty of practise in the basic skills and requires me to really THINK about how I do the elements that have become second nature to me over the decades, which is not a bad thing). That's enough for my aging body without causing pain.

8. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

I've started skating two one-hour dance sessions once a week. I quit skating 18 years ago when I was pg with my first, and couldn't afford to go back. Since then I've gained about 50 pounds and developed fibromyalgia, and my skates are about a size and a half too small.

But you know what? I still love it. Deeply. I started skating when I was 3, and skated off an on until I was 30. As an adult, I passed one of my gold dances, competed in adult gold dance, and competed in Silver freestyle at the second Adult Nationals. Nowadays I can barely do a foxtrot mohawk. I wish I could still do what I used to do, but I am just to happy to be out there!

clairecloutier likes this.
  9. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

When I was competing, I would skate 5 days a week for 2 hours a day. These days, I'm lucky if my work schedule allows me to skate twice a week. However, I find I make the most progress skating 3 or 4 days a week with a day off here and there.

10. Casey

Casey New Member

When I started skating at 24, it became my life, and I would usually skate every single day, usually 30-40 hours a week. I would rollerblade to/from the rink just to get more leg strength too. Now real life has taken over and I am just lately starting to go once a week. Expecting a baby soon so not sure how that will affect things, but I hope to get back into it more!