Administrative Professional's Day

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cupid, Apr 21, 2010.

1. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Is this only an American/Canadian "holiday" or is there somewhere else that this is celebrated?

Call me old fashioned, but the only thank you I need from an employer is a pay cheque. :shuffle:

Karina1974 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

You're old fashioned. :D

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The way the day is handled is pretty much at the discretion of the employer. Most acknowledge it - it is a good retention tool.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Even Scrooge appreciated Fezziwig's parties. :lol:

5. SceneIt

SceneIt DoneIt

DH is self-employed with 2 adminis. He could not do anything for them that day as he had appointments all afternoon. Ordinarily he takes them to lunch and drinks all afternoon. Not this year. He said he wasn't going to now because of the following:

One of them was talking on the phone with her husband and asked him (my husband, their boss) if he wouldn't mind answering the other line that was ringing! He was appalled, and they had acted bitchy all day because he was busy working so he could sign their paychecks.

6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So its Friday night, they kill the air on the weekends at my place .... should you take the cut flower arrangments home with you or leave on your desk since its a gift from your boss, so you should leave at work? Or is it appropriate to take home and your boss won't think you are being rude or anything by taking them home? I never know what to do year to year about the flowers. :eek: I don't know how well they will survive the weekend since I know they kill the air.

7. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Take 'em and explain Monday if you have to.

8. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I decided against getting flowers for my secretary this year because they died almost instantly after she received them, and they were really expensive to order and have delivered! So I gave her a spa giftcard instead. This way she can get a mani-pedi on the weekend of her choice, or buy beauty products. She seemed pleased with it.

9. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I love when my bosses buy me spa certificates! I was given 7 of them last Christmas! :cheer2: Other than the deep tissue massages I get every month (covered by my benefits), I never get around to treating myself with a day of pampering. Not that deep tissue massages are enjoyable anyway...:yikes:

10. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

It is a great gift, as long as you know for sure that the giftee enjoys such things. If I got the gift it would never be used. I have gotten so many gifts over the years that were great gifts...for somebody else. :(

11. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Good point. I bought my mom a certificate for a manicure once, and months later she gave it back to me because it "wasn't her thing". I asked her if I was adopted. :p

12. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Oh yes. I have a smoothie maker, a foot spa and other odd things just begging for a garage sale. There was even the $250.00 gift certificate for a cleaning service. nope, never used. Just because I bitch about cleaning my apartment, don't think that I want anybody else in to clean. :scream:

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

GIMME!

14. backspin

backspin Active Member

I never gave 2 seconds' thought to "Adminstrative Professionals Day"--until this Wed. when, by sheer chance, I started my new job--as a floral designer! Therefore, the day that was meant to be spent training me became a trial by fire as we tried to keep up w/ the orders. It was actually a fun first day--there were obviously lots of bosses/offices in my city who apprciate their office staff!

15. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I ask my mom the same thing several times a year. When I say I am going to get a pedicure and manicure and she says who would pay for that. :eek: