Adelina Sotnikova

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by koatcue, Sep 29, 2011.

1. koatcue

koatcue New Member

Your thoughts on her...There is no a sign of her new programmes in internet. She hasn't competed anywhere this season=((
    How high is her chance to beat Mirai or Mao?

2. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

If she's skating at the same level she was last season, I would say her chances of competing and winning against anyone, not just those two, are fairly good. We will have to see if she has made changes to her lutz, which received edge calls here and there. The senior callers are probably not going to let it slide. Also, if she really wants to rack up points in a senior LP, she needs to move more of the jumps to the second half.

3. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I'd say very high. She brings out her 3/3's or 2A/3's with regularity and has decent body line and choreography. In fact I would not be surprised if she takes the GPF. Tut has more to work on, but I can see her jumping to the GPF. I'm not giving up on Nagasu, but I don't think she has what it takes to be a world champion, sorry to say. If I had to pick an American this year to steal everyone's thunder, I'd go with Agnes, but with the coaching change and her admitted lack of interest in the sport makes me question that.

Now that Mao cannot be depended on for a clean program in any way, Kim out, US blah, I would not be surprised if Russia cleans up at the Olys. I also think that one of the Russian baby ballerinas will move to another 'country' so we might see a top five of all Russians at the Olys.

If I had to pick the next Russian superstar it would be Sotnikova or Lipnitskaya. Shelepen, Tut, and there's another one may not progress fast enough in the next two years. Sot and Lip are already ahead of the curve, IMO.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

When dealing with seniors with 4 jumps 1/2 way plus she will appear frontloaded. That would be a negative. If she can still do all the 3/3's and all that she could beat Mirai and Mao and everyone. She'll probably just debut on the GP and maybe not do any pre - GPs.

5. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Isn't she listed for the Ondrej Nepela Trophy soon? Update: I guess that she didn't do it...

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I think she's withdrawn from the event. Ladies short program results came out but her name's not there. Her injury may be more serious than it seemed?

7. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

We'll need to see how she does under the senior circuit. Seniors fresh out of juniors tend to make mistakes. But she has promise.

8. koatcue

koatcue New Member

I don't know what to think of it.I expected her to participate there...It's just strange

9. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

What kind of injury did she have?

10. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

For me, hopefully Alissa repeats as GPF Champion. If not, I want Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva to be 2011 GPF Champion. :D

They are the 3 I'm cheering for this season in GP ladies.

ETA: Plus Mirai and Agnes!!!

11. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

The music is announced though.
    SP: Bolero
    LP: Liebestraum

Something with her leg AFAIK, but she skated with it in show this summer, so I guess it's not that bad

No worries, we will see Adelina this weekend at the test skates of Russian team :)

12. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

How 'original'....not. :blah:

13. Triple Butz

And considering last season was:

SP: Blue Danube
    LP: Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso
    EX: Swan Lake

double :blah:
    We always had overused music in skating, but I think CoP has made it worse. It's no longer important to be original, just important to get high scoring high level elements.

14. koatcue

koatcue New Member

Liza T is sooo original..and what? The thing is we discuss not so original Sotnikova. The things that matter are her skill level and talent.;)
    The music choice isn't the case..

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Triple Butz

Actually, I have discussed Liza's music and improved expression in other threads and so have others. Liza is getting her share of hype, it's just that Sotnikova has a more impressive win record for now. I'm not hating on Sotnikova's skating at all, it's wonderful, but it could be even better if she would emote more and (just a personal preference) it would be nice to see her develop her style with more original music choices.

16. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

A year after Miki Ando won her 2nd World title if she as good as advertised (and from what I have seen from her she isnt far off and should only get better) she should clean up in the ladies field this year, including Worlds, unless Kim comes back much stronger than the rubbish (for her standards) she put out last year at seasons end.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Don't forget about the 'never give up' Mao.

19. periperi

periperi New Member

I don't know. I don't think Adelina's choreography has been that strong at all. All the programs I've seen of her have been pretty empty in terms of what goes on in between the jumps, and the jumps tend to be ticked off quickly in the beginning of the program. It's much easier to pull off 3-3's with programs like that than with programs that are well constructed jumping wise, transition wise and so forth.

Of course, I have yet to see her performance at JO... Maybe this year is a different story.

:respec:

20. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

She didn't compete at JO, Liza did and she won :)

She did do a test skate of her short program today and nailed all the jumps including a triple triple.

21. periperi

periperi New Member

:lol: You're right! Silly mistake.

22. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Are there any videos of Adelina's test skate?

23. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Not that I know of :(

24. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Well-Known Member

25. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Thanks for posting. I don't particularly care about exhibition programs, but I was looking to see how she'd grown into a woman's body. Her jumps were huge. She looks very calm and secure on the ice. I have great expectations for her over the next quad. :)

26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think the only thing holding Adelina back is confidence. With her skating skills, her speed, her huge jumps, gorgeous lines and that sparkle she brings to the ice, she could give the Big Three a run for their money. I really hope she gets her nerves under control and gains that confidence b/c she is the most complete skater in this new crop of ladies when it comes to overall package. She's just missing the confidence to land the jumps. I do think she would benefit from some technique tweaking but other than that she's amazing.

I enjoyed her Oblivion Ex. Still not better than her Black Swan or Hernando's Hideaway but the wings were very interesting visually.

gingercat and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Personally I think you overrate her. She isnt nearly good enough to compete with Kim, especialy since Kim doesnt self destruct to let much lesser skaters come close to her, and she could only beat Asada or Kostner if she skated great and they didnt. Which with how many mistakes Kostner and Asada can make is possible, except that Sotnikova is as inconsistent or more than them.

Her jumps are decent size but I wouldnt say huge, and her technique on many of them is quite bad and ugly and not worthy of anywhere near the GOE that people like Kim or even Gold get. She also is a chronic URer and flutzer to the point it is borderline whether to even consider those are real mistakes for her. Her spins are nice, and she has some nice presentation qualities, but her programs are usually no great shakes to show it off, and her long program last year was awful.

Of the skaters of her age generation I think Gold is already passing her by, and Gold has more room for improvement than Sotnikova left which is bad news for her. Osmond I think has more long range potential too, and maybe Li.

28. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

29. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Sad but all true and you didn't even mention her terrible flip problems! Singles, falls, and landed but leaving out jumps that were supposed to come after it in combos because of poor landing.

This is a common rundown of sotnikova's jumps: 3lz(e)+3t(ur), 3f fall, 2a+3t(ur), 3loop, 2a, *3F, * 3s

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  30. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Yes and when you have that chronic of UR and flutz problems it is not just nerves. Your technique is just not up to snuff. I dont know why anyone talks about her having great jump technique or stunning jumps when she lands them. As for her artistry it could be great but not with the programs she is given typically.