Adelina Sotnikova & Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Some Videos From Their Summer Shows

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

2. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Thank you.
  3. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting!

LOVE Liza's new free program. She's really becoming quite expressive. Looks like she's definitely going for that 3A...wow! She still needs to loosen up her upper body a bit, but that will come!
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I like Adelina's potential, but as far as the Black swan music goes, I think Oksana Baiul's skate to this music was one for the ages, and she was just 15 when I first saw her skate to it live, at skate America. The link below is her 94 Olympics SP performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zKfZVurJY

Somehow I found Adelina's tutu distracting while watching, though the costume looked gorgeous at the start. Oddly, Oksana's tutu never seemed to distract me from watching her performance. I will need to see if hers was smaller (for lack of a better word) than Adelina's.

I hope Adelina and Liza can both develop into world champions, some day win the OGM (in two different Olympics, obviously).

Thanks for posting these links.

ETA: Just looked at both of Oskana's tutu's (black and white), and they seem to come down more than Adelina's whose tutu is almost horizontal, which may make jumping more difficult, as the OP noted, but it also made it more distracting to me.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Is that the same exhibition that Adelina has been doing for awhile?
  7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.
  8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Sorry but Liza T just isn't pulling me in at all. I can see that she's grown a bit which does help her appearance on the ice some, but there's something about her skating that just isn't clicking for me right now. I'm not really seeing the expression people are talking about. :slinkaway And sorry again, but that program wasn't very good...I didn't like any of it. Judging from the length, that may be her long program. Hopefully, that's just an early version of it and it'll be better by the time the competitions start. Still, I'm not a fan of the music at all...maybe that's just her style. I'm really hoping she'll have that breakout performance that really makes me love her b/c right now, she's just meh to me...

IDK, I guess I should wait to see more. But I will say that I'm definitely much more a fan of Adelina. Her presence on the ice is wonderful and that Black Swan exhibition of hers if fabulous. I love the oversized skirt! She could use something like that for a competitive program, but I think the circumference of the skirt would have to be reduced a bit. Oksana's dress wasn't that big around...
  9. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

ITA. I really love Sotnikova, but I just do not get the Tuktamisheva hype yet. :shuffle:
  10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Thank you for the videos!
    I see that both of them are amazingly talented. But so far I strongly prefer Mirai or Alissa or Mao ( or Yu-Na or Carolina or Alena...) to Adelina and Lisa. They do not yet- to my eyes- have individual style that sets them apart. They are very promising skaters just out of Juniors.
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I agree with dinakt in that the young Russian ladies need to develop their style, maturity, etc. I am probably going to root for Mao all the way to 2014 but at this point I am not even sure she will be around by then. I may like the finished product from Russia before Sochi, who knows? I am still impressed by the young talent in Russia in the ladies field.
  12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Agree. If Mishin wants her to shine he really needs to let her go.
  13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I have a feeling this will also be her music for Sochi.
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Looks like as long as Liza trains with Mishin, she will be disliked by some on this board.

I would rather wait and see how she develops, regardless of who her coach is. Mishin has coached a few Olympic champions. I don't see why Liza could not be one of them.
  15. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Love Adelina, she really has it all. As for Liza, she's surely talented, but for me she isn't soup yet and still has a long way to go. It doesn't mean she won't get there, but for me, Adelina is head and shoulders above her at this point. But as well all know that all could change over the course of a season or two...
  16. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

If there's one this Sotnikova needs to work on, it is her expression. She kinda looks overly focused when she's skating..not just before the jumps but the entire program.
  17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IIRC both these young ladies are really young (16?). They have time to develop maturity and artistry. I also liked some other young ladies from Russia. I am really excited about the ladies field in general.
  18. Triple Butz

Nono, they 15 (Adelina) and 14 (Liza), not even eligible for Senior Worlds! So, yes, there is PLENTY of time for them to develop their on-ice personalities :)
  19. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Adelina is 15, Liza is 14.
  20. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

They really are 'babies'. However, Michelle won worlds at age 15 and Tara at age 14, so we cannot count them out. The new rules however are keeping them out and that's a shame.
  21. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

They could win the GPF this year. They are going to shake things up in the Senior GP.
    Liza`s planned jumping content is out of this world. All the triples with perfect textbook technique at 14 years of age.
  22. luCN

luCN New Member

Liza needs a (real) choreographer to compete with other russian babies...
  23. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

I'm sorry to say that at this point, both girls' skating leaves me cold. :(

I'm of course hoping that this will change. There is plenty of time for them to develop little things like audience interaction and expression, which for me, seems to be really lacking.
  24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

They are 14 and 15 years old! You have to give them time to develop!
  25. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I think she needs a (real) choreographer to reach her potential and maximize her talent. As Plushenko showed, you don't really need choreography to compete with anyone if you have the jumps. I'd just hate to see Liza go that route.

Love watching both skate as each brings something different to the table. I can't wait to see how they develop. :)
  26. Daria

Daria New Member

I love Liza's Oriental sp, it's vibrant and different. She overcame Adelina's score in transitions at the last JW and any other russian junior was able to beat her till this moment. I think she's just fine where she is now.
  27. kwanatic

^^I just hope she continues to improve. Liza T's style isn't very appealing to me at the moment. I feel more energy from Adelina when she competes than I do from Liza T and I think that has a lot to do with Adelina's presence on the ice. She's young but there is a somewhat commanding presence to her when she steps out on the ice. Her presentation is much more mature than any of the junior girls and that's what really sets her apart. Liza T still looks and skates like a junior; there's a lack of polish and refinement to her movements that Adelina seems to have already.

That's not to say Liza T won't get there eventually, but right now I agree with whoever said Adelina is head and shoulders above the rest. If she can get some nice programs and work on her spins, she'll be the one to beat this season...
  28. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

ITA. Adelina has more fire, more focus when performing and I think that's what gives her presence something strong.
  29. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Am I the only one who finds Adelina a little bit boring????:D
  30. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

I already stated that they have time to develop. My point is that right now, I find them a little boring.

I don't necessarily blame them as much as I blame CoP. They are rewarded for doing element after element. Choreography, musical phrasing, and overall program appeal aren't important nowadays...
  31. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I just wish Mishin could take the PCS part more seriously and start working with better choreographers. :(

Not only boring, but pretty much deaf too. :p

Liza at least is capable of more or less skating to the music, even though her expression could get much more mature and sophisticated (and obviously she needs decent choreography because her programs so far have been very poorly constructed).
  32. Triple Butz

No. It's a shame because her positions are quite stunning, but so far her choreography has been front loaded and empty. I think she will improve dramatically in this area in a season or two, though.
  33. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Oh, there's another thing I just remembered. Her spins need work, her layback is not very good (and the bielmann isn't either), and that weird camel catchfoot thing that the Russian juniors do looks awful.
  34. parasolka

parasolka Member

35. kwanatic

LOL! Skating is so funny! I swear, it's completely subjective; people see things differently...

Some people here find Adelina a bit boring...but that's my impression of Liza T! It's so weird! I do agree Adelina needs some better choreography but I don't find her boring or deaf to the music, though she does skate through it rather than to it. But, in my eyes, Liza T isn't much better in either category. She has more choreography but it's rather contrived to me; I don't get the sense that she feels what she's doing...yet.

Say what you will about her competitive programs, but Adelina's Black Swan exhibition was fabulous. There was a lot of power in that routine as well as elegance and I think she pulled it off brilliantly and believably. I much preferred it to Liza T's Michael Jackson exhibition, though it was good.

Thankfully, all of this can be corrected on both sides. Both have things to work on but that's the beauty of being 14 and 15 years old...there's plenty of time to work on technique, spins, posture, line, musicality, interpretation, etc.

I have high hopes for both of them...
  36. Eris

Eris New Member

No. ;) I agree she has wonderful posture, presence, high jumps etc. But sometimes I can't make myself to watch her program till the end.
  37. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

She already has improved dramatically in expression department during this summer. To me she looks obviously different to what we saw last season and at JW in particular. Looks like she's more relaxed now and really feels the music (check Black swan video from Korea).
  38. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

So you don't find her deaf to the music but you agree that she skates through it. Right... :shuffle:
  39. kwanatic

Your snark is appreciated. However, there's a difference:rolleyes:. When I say she skates through the music I don't mean she skates as if there's no music on or she's on the ice with earplugs, ie. "deaf to the music." I mean, her movements emphasize the right notes in the music but the music isn't a part of her like it is with skaters who really feel, relate to, and interpret the music more thoroughly a la Yu-Na Kim or Mao Asada.

Point is, there's more that can be pulled out of the music, a deeper feeling and understanding can be conveyed, and she's not doing that right now...thus she's skating through it. Get it now?:p
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  40. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Some very good points

However they compare, looks like they are both friends:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMuK5Gqv794

Interesting to note how this compare's with the relationship between various skaters down the years.