Adelina "downgraded" to alternate for Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

My comment was in response to misskarne, who said

2. morqet

morqet Active Member

Yes, I think at any competition other than the Olympics that lutz would have been marked <.

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

My bigger point was that Davidova popped up out of nowhere (she was only an alternate in '78 and '79 I think) to win the 1980 Olympic crown, and she won the big medal only once. Yes, she was 3rd in 1981 but retired after that. She still didn't win the big title in 1981.

4. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Like Gabby Douglas, her only medal is the AA gold, the other two world and Olympic medal is from team event.

5. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

:rolleyes: Davydova competed through 1981 worlds where she competed with a very sore neck injury. She finished third all around in a USSR sweep of the medals after falling on her beam dismount. She won the qualification round.

I guess that counts as "nothing".

Sorry I see other people already mentioned her post Olympic career. I tend to get very defensive where Davydova is concerned. Her contributions to the sport of gymnastics post retirement is unmeasurable and I wish she would get more positive recognition :(

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

One person's "wooden vs. charming" is another's "understated vs. cheesy."

7. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Poor Gabby, she only won double Gold at age 16. :kickass:

It is not just unsporting but beyond silly to try and discredit Gabby for her accomplishments in London.

What is it with people at this board who think "body of work" trumps amazing Olympic performances. :eek:

Mustafina got it right when she said "Gabby was the best and deserved to win the AA OGM."

Why belittle Gabby's great achievement? It's not like it was handed to her and in fact she had to outperform some great challengers.

Go Gabby! :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  8. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:encore:

9. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Kind of tired of words like "energy", "spark", "grabbing the audience by the throat", "making a moment", (my personal favorite "tentative") blah, blah, blah..Stephanie Rosenthal made a moment at Nats in 06 and I didn't see her anywhere near the podium. I say do away with the second mark.It seems to mean nothing anyway.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  10. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Yet, Sarah Hughes is constantly belittled for doing exactly the same thing.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That's the Sonia Bianchetti "You Know It When You See It" criteria.

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Please see my post just above yours. You are putting words in my mouth. I never said 'nothing'. I'm not debating her innovation or what she brought to the sport. I just found the comparison striking.

13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

14. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

That is true, but more for some than others. I happen to root for the underdog and find great performances can be inspiring .

I won't forget Adelina's great win anytime soon and I still watch Sarah's LP from SLC now and then. I also enjoyed Sarah's recaps on NBC sports and even though I like Sasha and Michelle better I have room for Sarah too.

You got me on Mr Puffy sleeves though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Gabby is reportedly in training....just saying.

16. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Last I saw she was going to be on some reality cooking show or whatever it was supposed to be. She has also been promoting her book, her TV movie, etc.

Who is her new coach and where is she training?

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

18. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Wait... you mean it wasn't? :eek::scream:

19. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

N/M. wrong thread. Sorry~~ :D

20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Of course rehashing changes nothing and points are moot at this point. :) Indeed both Gracie and Ashley were nominated before the U. S. Nationals event, but the judging as usual is never just based on what takes place on the ice. There were inconsistencies in the scoring across the board, starting with the extreme low-balling of Caroline Zhang, which then affected scoring of ladies who came directly after her who were expected to skate well but made glaring mistakes. One could argue the top four ladies' scores were fair in sp, but I would have had Gracie around 69 or 70, and Polina close behind Ashley with a score around 63+. Having more difficult technique should not automatically boost a skater's PCS marks. Even Polina was surprised at her score in the sp.

Ashley did not complete her 3/3 and was obviously tight going into it in sp at Nats, but otherwise skated very well and arguably could have been slightly ahead of Polina in sp based on overall maturity and delivering a more well-rounded program. I doubt that would have been cause for much controversy. Everyone in top four except Mirai fell in the fp, but granted Ashley's mistakes were greater there. However, I feel they gave Ashley a mountain to climb at home as the defending U.S. champion after she had a good sp skate.

When it comes to figure skating judging, I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed about anything being made clearer for anyone going forward.

21. morqet

morqet Active Member

22. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Just in case some people are still thinking this,
    it was round.

It was actually a pretty professional save if you ask me, Not a 3 though obviously

23. begin34

begin34 New Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  24. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

I can't play the link. But slo-mo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXKJvTVW9g&feature=youtu.be&t=6m20s
    and super slo-mo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXKJvTVW9g&feature=youtu.be&t=6m35s work well!
    I hit play & pause several times. But it's not clear. May hit past 1/4 or may not. Whatever GOE 3 is :huh:.

And Sotnikova's slo-mo http://youtu.be/CrVL5tM926s?t=6m30s shows her 2nd triple has less rotations than Yuna's beside the toe-axel and her 3Lz shoule be dinged. :confused: Also got GOE 3? :lol: BTW, why there's no super slo like that of Yuna???

Anyway, those were not the videos TS or TC used to judge.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The only striking pictures she painted on the SLC ice were the tracings she made on her curved / mule-kicked takeoffs and hooked landings.

26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I always felt they should have let Sotnikova skate the short. Not going to affect the final result in any way, given how rigged the whole event was, but they could have had another ladies OGM and Sotnikova would have become a double OGM.

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Remarkably thin.

28. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

But then I/K wouldn't get the team medal, and, considering their track record this season, no one could guarantee medal-worthy performances in the individual event.

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Actually I was going to suggest I/K skate both portions. :EVILLE:

I think it is ironic that they left Sotnikova off the Team and denied her a pretty much assured gold medal, and then she proceeded to win the biggest prize herself.

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  30. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I do wonder if we would have seen the same fight and fire from Adelina in the individual event had she had the Team Event experience and the satisfying gold medal to go along with that event. She was denied, pissed, hungry, and then set out to prove her detractors wrong.