Adelina "downgraded" to alternate for Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I wonder how many liberal westerners hate Adelina because she crosses herself before she skates? I remember complaints in 1994 about Oksana Baiul also showing her Christianity by crossing herself before skating. I hope that some liberals aren't also taking it out on Adelina for showing her religion. Everybody should be free to express his/her religion on the ice.

Same thing about V/T's 'Jesus' program. Guess what? Jesus won. So did Adelina.

2. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Please don't lump all liberals into one group and assume we all behave the same. I don't "hate" folks as long as they don't "hate" me. Thanks!

3. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

I never thought about it or noticed before but doubt if it has any relevance to how a skater is received by liberals or conservatives.

When Condi Rice asked Michelle Kwan to become a special ambassador for USA it wasn't a political decision or based on religion or race.
    It was because Condi was a great admirer of Michelle. It didn't hurt that as a young girl Condi was also a figure skater. :)

I am all for freedom on the ice (whatever that means) but the smart skaters will concentrate on scoring points on the ice if they want to succeed in this era.

4. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

For what it's worth, Yuna also crosses herself before skating.

5. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Oh no what will the liberal westerners do? :drama:

I'm interested in hearing more about Adelina's activities since Olympics. Has she made lots of tv appearances? What ways have her gold medal been celebrated? I admit I was sort of surprised by the article headline with the world "downgraded," I would have thought there would have been more positive coverage of Adelina.

Also wondering how Julia has been received in the media and public in Russia since Olympics? Is she being feted as Adelina is? Or has she been "downgraded"?

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt views on the sochi skating event have anything to do with religion except for a very few extreme wackadoos.

<---Liberal westerner.

7. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Apparently Adelina crossing herself helped raise her PCS.

In Yuna's case crossing herself lowered her TES.

Go figure.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Kudos to you for the absolute most irrelevant, ridiculous, and STUPID comment of the week. I could care less about any skater's religion, I care about how they SKATE. I have never objected to any skater making the sign of the cross (or any other religious gesture) - if that helps them to settle into their skate, good for them.

And I had no issue with Adelina winning the OGM, just that I didn't think her PCS should be as high as Kim's or Kostner's.

And I'm as bleeding heart liberal as they come.

toddlj and (deleted member) like this.
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That was my point.

10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I just opened this thread so I haven't read all the pages but this post shocked me. Why in the world would her marketability be different in NA than in Russia or Japan? OGMs don't always go to Worlds afterwards but those who do & end up not winning have not tarnished their gold, at least not with knowledgeable skating fans. You act like she came out of nowhere & barely knew how to skate & was gifted the gold. Please don't lump me in with your anti-Russian mind-set because I don't share it. IOW, speak for yourself.

ETA: now I'm on page 4 & I saw your post about skaters crossing themselves. Seriously? Are you on drugs?

11. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

I'm just waiting for Adelina's win to be blamed on Obamacare.

snoopy and (deleted member) like this.
  12. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Or Benghazi.

13. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I tried to post to what you stated earlier, but my internet was temporarily out. I'm not sure why you would even say something like this. I'm a Christian and I don't "hate" anyone. Hate isn't even a word I want to keep in my vocabulary. Not all westerners hate, and that's not an accurate statement. I thank God every day for my life and the miracle he gave me. I was here to see yet another Olympics and I thank God for that. I don't hate Adelina whatsoever. I happen to think she's a very talented young lady with a great future in Figure Skating. Not all liberal westerners "hate" and that is simply fact. :)

Wipers likes this.
  14. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Consider the source there, y'all.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I'm Jewish and I didn't even notice that she had crossed herself!

16. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Or global warming.

17. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Depends what your definition of "for quite some time" is.

Hanyu

2013 Worlds - PCS 80
    2014 Skate Canada - PCS 76.86
    2014 TEB - 81.94
    2014 GPF - 92.38
    2014 OG - 90.98

Sotnikova

2013 Worlds - PCS 63.63
    2014 Cup of China - 60.31
    2014 TEB - 64.65
    2014 GPF - 60.41
    2014 Europeans - 69.60
    2014 OG - 74.41

If Hanyu's steep rise in PCS is justified, why wouldn't Sotnikova's be?

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Sotnikova said she wants to win more golds which would be hard to do if she retires. :lol: She's already won the Crown Jewel of the sport. Anything else from this point on is gravy. She's already got the ice cream with the cherry on top. :D

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

:eek: :lol: :D :dog:

20. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

:cat::sheep::dog:;)

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There is nothing unusual about this and I don't understand the use of the word "downgrade" (although it is in inverted commas).

Winning an Olympic gold medal means a lot of media interest. You get your 15 minutes of fame and you want to milk it for what it's worth because it'll be over quick. It opens a lot of doors and between the interviews, endorsements, shows and all other media appearances, you just don't have enough time and focus to prepare for Worlds properly.

Off-topic: She was only 6th but she has actually improved a lot and skated much better than at 2002 Olympics, IMO.

22. FSUSF

FSUSF New Member

Sorry to hear that. I wanted her to refute those Sotnikoflation and Ro-ssi-yaflation controversies and justify her OGM by being the World Champion in Japan.
    But well, this move was totally anticipated, no wonder.

23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

If people don't think her beating Yuna and Carolina was justifiable how would winning a yunaless worlds justify it?

24. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

This may be the dumbest theory ever.
    For the record, this liberal Westerner Catholic doesn't give a shit about any skater's religious expressions.

25. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

She doesn't need to "justify" her Oly gold. There will be no asterisk by her name in the record books. If she tested positive for drugs or if she whacked her opponents to take them out of the games or if several judges were found to be in cahoots, then you can argue her win. This constant sniping that she didn't deserve her win is pointless.

26. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:rofl: Care to explain this gem? Her under rotations were even worse in 2003 not to mention her speed. Perhaps you just preferred her programs? ;)

27. FSUSF

FSUSF New Member

Deleted

28. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

Just for the record -- a lot of Christians, myself (a conservative Catholic) included, find Jesus Christ Superstar irreverent and borderline if not fully offensive because we see it as downgrading (no joke on the thread title) a member of the Holy Trinity to something like a modern popstar or similar.

I say that as a fan of V/T for the most part (I don't love them as much as S/S) who dislikes that program. :p

29. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I would rank Sarah & then Annett Potzsch as the worst OGMs that I ever saw, talking about overall skating. (Sarah had the worst pre-rotations & cheats I've ever seen from anyone - AND the worst flutz.) Trixie Schuba was the worst at free skating but she had the most amazing figures ever at a time when figures were 60% of the score so she was the rightful winner in 1972. But I don't even consider Sarah & Annett as rightful winners. As far as the others I've seen, I'd put Adelina ahead of Witt & Arakawa for sure - both were rightful winners but their Oly skates were pretty weak.

Attractive is in the eye of the beholder. I think Adelina is pretty cute. I'm not saying that Sarah had nothing going for her but her posture was pretty bad - she was the queen of the hunched shoulders.

30. ronniev

ronniev New Member

Natalia Popova. Wait. She is from the Ukraine. Oh well..same thing..