Adelina "downgraded" to alternate for Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

It makes sense. Its tough competing after Olympics, so I kind of hope they don't go. There's so much demand on the time of Oly Gold medalists, they really can't concentrate on worlds the way their competitors can.

2. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Sorry, you brought this on yourself with that thread title. You can't possibly expect to post a provocative thread title like that and get a rational discussion, especially where Adelina is involved.

3. BlueRidge

Its actually the title of the article linked to at er.ru.sport "Olympic Champion Sotnikova Downgraded to Substitute for World Champs." It seems they were being provocative for some reason.

No one's going to post anything about Adelina right at the moment without it stirring up a bit of dust storm though.

4. Nours

Nours Active Member

Well, I guess we should wait for the official starting list :)
    Anyway, she shouldn't be ashamed of skipping worlds.

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

And they key is by being named a substitute, they will not run into the same issues Plushenko did in 2010 when he withdrew and skated in a show. This way, the skater and federation have left all options open. It is very difficult to keep the same training level between the Olympics and Worlds only a month later, particularly for the medal winners. If Adelina, V/T and S/S all feel that they are in competitive shape, they can enter. If not, they won't be penalized for skating in shows or getting much needed rest. There is no reason to think Sotnikova won't be back to skate next season. Sorry, for those who would dearly love to see her not do exactly that. :D

On a personal note, I do hope S/S can win one more World title before Robin calls it quits. I don't expect V/T to skate this Worlds and their future depends on injury management.

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think it is smart for Sotnikova not to skate at Worlds. To lose there would have reinforced the suspicion that she won in Sochi because of bias. Time for the dust to settle. She can also take the time to improve by next season because all eyes will be on her.

7. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Thanks for posting the links which were informative, timely and of interest to Adelina's fans and detractors. :)

Now, can anyone please tell me what is up with Dennis Ten? Is he skipping Worlds? If so, why?
    I think he had a good shot at winning another major medal.

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

D10 has withdrawn from Worlds, for good reason. he has had an extremely difficult year.

9. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Sorry to hear that but thanks for the info.

Hope Dennis comes back healthy and strong for next season.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

What individual medalists (in all disciplines) are attending?

11. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

When is Russia hosting World again?

12. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Dance - I/K
    Ladies- Kostner, maybe Sotnikova
    Men- Hanyu
    Pairs- S/K, S/S, maybe V/T

13. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I so hope at this point that Adelina does win a World title, and bonus if it happens in Boston 2016.

14. bek

bek Guest

I realize that everyone's hard on Adelina, but to me she's a more worthy winner than Hanyu. Don't get me wrong, I get the fact that there are questions whether she deserved to beat Kim or Kostner. However, at least Adelina actually skated well. I'd frankly rather have named none of the men Olympic Champion. (And one could frankly make similar arguments about Hanyu's PCS.

15. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

So what Russian ladies are going at this point?

16. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

At least Adelina doesn't flutz and has better posture and jumps than Sarah. Plus she's prettier than Sarah;). Sarah and Emily have got to be the least attractive female skaters I've ever seen. Even make-up doesn't help.

17. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Doesn't flutz? :shuffle:

I think Emily is kind of cute. :) Sarah isn't attractive but why does it matter? With some recent exceptions like Sasha Cohen and Gracie, the US doesn't have a history of really pretty figure skaters but they did alright anyway. ;) At least they know how to properly shave their pits. ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  18. troika

troika New Member

is it so unheard of that skater improved 20 points during a season?
    Consider Denis Ten 2012/2013 season
    ISU GP Skate Canada International 2012 203.70
    ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2012 177.77
    Four Continents 2013 197.26
    World Championships 2013 266.48

His component score from Four Continents long program were 70.48 which grew to 87.16 at World
    I far as I remember we all were happily cheering for Denis

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

For ten and hanyu its ok for a Russian it means corruption

20. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

The title of this thread is just asking for trolling. *sheesh*

:lynch:

21. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Actually Sarah is pretty attractive. Plus she had much better posture than Adelina.

lamarenee and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to compare Ten's masterpiece programs from Worlds to Sotnikova's technical programs that lack the complexity of choreography and transitions. I also don't recall Ten delivering performances anywhere near his Worlds skates earlier in the season. Sotnikova actually had performances of comparable quality to her Olympic long program earlier in the season. Anyways, I digress.

23. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Blue Ridge was correct - I titled the thread based on the title of the Russian article. Period. No agenda, no hidden intent, not trying to be "provocative." They used the term downgrade, I copied it. If you prefer to infer otherwise, have at it.

24. caseyedwards

Lol where was this comparable Adelina performance to her Olympic one?

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ten tweeted:

Sad to announce this but I won't be at Worlds. Sorry to my fans who planned their trips! When things get fixed i will be back stronger.​

Tatjana Flade tweeted:

Worlds entries online: http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent00051515.htm … D.Ten cancelled to heal injuries, fix boot issues. Get well soon, @Tenis_Den!​

And from Misha Ge:

@Tenis_Den Everyone will miss you there for sure, you had a tough year but with great success! Have a good rest for recovery! ;) #Neighbor​

For Ten it meant recognition for a skater with little politiks and who was generally underrated.

26. caseyedwards

What's the difference between that and people waiting for 3 years for adelina to finally deliver on all he promise she showed as a jr And there were at least flashes of sometimes when she turned sr?

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

She has a strong Federation behind her and received her share of high PCS from early on. The same was true of Hanyu.

28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

But Adelina's PCS were much higher at the Olympics that previous competitions, weren't they?

And international judges have been ranking Hanyu high for quite some time. It didn't just happen at the Olympics. Not to mention, Hanyu's win over Chan was not controversial or questionable.

And Adelina can't be compared to Ten, either. Ten was underscored in PCS for a long time and he pretty much forced the judges to change their mind with his Artist programs, especially when he skated them lights out.

29. BlueRidge

Julia Lipnitskaya and Anna Pogorilaya, which may actually be of more interest than whether Adelina is prettier than the Hughes sisters. ;)

I think its going to be a showdown at Worlds between Mao and Julia. I'm imaging Julia wants to put the Oly single comp behind her so I think we'll really see her shine. I am interested in how Anna will do. She had such a poor outing at GPF but she is capable of much more.

30. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Well the question still remains... will she be downgraded > or did she get a full under-rotation to a double toe edge-call flutz? :huh: