Adelina "downgraded" to alternate for Worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yazmeen, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Downgraded? Were V/T downgraded as well? Or just listed there in case they change their mind (which I think is the more likely case). No downgrade, if anything- it's a benefit of being a gold medalists for Russia.

I don't think V/T or Adelina are alternates in the "if someone gets hurt, we'll be there" case. I think they are alternates in the "they don't plan to go, but if they change their mind, we are pulling one of our skaters" sense.
  3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thanks. Well, at least Adelina can say that she retired as *the* Olympic ladies champ (unofficial retirement, as this is not official yet). She won't go out as a Worlds silver medalist or worse. Her marketability will remain high in Russia & Japan...anywhere but N.Am. :lol:

There is so much talent among Russian juniors that I don't see Adelina or even Julia making the Russian team for the 2018 Olympics, unless miracles occur, puberty-monsters killed. The era of the many-years gold medalists ended with the 'new' judging system. Take that one gold and run, Adelina!
  4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

And, this allows them to do shows and other committments without having to worry about eligibility issues. Russia learned their lession with Plushenko after 2010. I find the whole downgrading thing hysterical.
  5. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

ITA. Has this--listing someone as an alternate who is clearly not an alternate!-- been done before though? I was kind of surprised at it.

In any case, an Olympic gold medalist not going to Worlds is hardly being downgraded.

I think it makes sense for Adelina to concentrate on her win rather than putting all her effort in to Worlds. I remember Yu Na after 2010 said it was very hard to come back for Worlds after winning Oly gold.
  6. Skittl1321

I don't think she is retiring. I fully expect to see her skate next year.
    I think she is skipping worlds. That is pretty common for Olympic gold medalists.
  7. BlueRidge

That second article in the original post is crap. She isn't "ducking" Worlds. :rolleyes: And she has nothing to prove. Her skate says it all. I'm one who thinks it could have justifiably been judged differently but that doesn't mean Adelina has anything to prove. She skated spectacularly.
    Sasha'sSpins, Kasey, Vash01 and 3 others like this.
  8. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

I agree and if expert skater/judge/journalist and supreme wannabe David Lease :lol: sees if differently Adelina has nothing to worry about.

This is the same guy who said Wagner belongs on the US Olympic team because she could medal in Sochi. Ha, ha what a dumb-ass. :p
  9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Well, she was 7th overall not 22nd. It's not inconceivable to think several higher-ranked skaters could have had melt downs. Dave didn't say she was a medal favorite, but that she had an outside chance at the podium. I really don't see how this result invalidates his point.
  10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It must be nice to be able to predict the future. Can you share the winning lottery numbers with us, too? ;)
  11. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Lease desperately wants in with US Skating rather than being an objective journalist. Johnny and Tara want in with NBC. The opinions of such people have to be taken for what they are worth.
    In my book, not very much.

BTW, no disrespect meant towards Ashley who skated pretty well in Sochi. 4th in the team event (which along with Abbott doomed USA to third) and 7th in the individual is respectable enough.
  12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Yes, that was my point. Of all arguments to use, this was :confused:-inducing.
  13. morqet

morqet Active Member

http://izvestia.ru/news/567083

I'm going off terrible Russian & google translate, but I believe that's just what Mozer & Piseev say here - the final decision hasn't been made, they are waiting to see how the athletes feel and the final team announcement will be after March 10.
  14. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

It'd be a real bummer not see Sotnikova at worlds.
  15. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

If you look at history, a number of Olympic Ladies' champions have had either marginal performances at Worlds or have relatively speaking, imploded. That includes Sarah Hughes and Yuna Kim. Can we call Sotnikova the Russian Sarah Hughes?
  16. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Evan Sarah was more accomplished the Adelina. If Adelina retires she goes down as the worst Olympic Gold medalist ever. And Sarah didn't go to Worlds after the Olympics in 2002.
  17. BlueRidge

Where has anyone gotten the idea she is going to retire? Or is that just a wish some have?
  18. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I really don't want her to retire because she has so much potential. What she DESPERATELY needs is different choreographic and stylistic input.
  19. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Sarah Hughes did not go to to 2002 Worlds.
  20. BlueRidge

Well the only thing I've seen is her saying she wants to win Euros and Worlds and gold, gold, gold! That doesn't sount like retirement to me. I expect her to be around and her skating will mature. She's got plenty of talent.
  21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I don't understand, she said right after the Olympics : "Ill go to Worlds, to win, I want to win every possible title"
    Well :p
  22. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess it is hard dealing with how great Adelina skated in Sochi compared to your favorites.
  23. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

I don't know too many adults who would hold an ecstatically happy 17 year old girl to words she uttered at the happiest moment of her life.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  24. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov said right away at the press conference in Sotchi and also in later interviews that they will be entered as substitutes for Worlds and they will see in what shape they are. They are currently performing in Art on Ice, as are Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy and Adelina Sotnikova. The skaters are not sure how well they can prepare for Worlds while being on the tour. Therefore the Russians are not entered now but it might change. The Izvestia article says basically the same. As for Savchenko/Szolkowy they said in Sotchi that they want to come to Japan for Worlds, but also said that they will only come if they feel they can perform well.

So the Russian skaters still might show up. Adelina for sure was very motivated, but maybe she will be tired after the shows. According to the Izvesitia article linked above, the final decision of the team will be announced on March 10.

Today there was a similar change in the roster for Junior Worlds. Elena Radionova replaced Alexandra Proklova. Elena was originally entered as a substitute, but the Federation decided to name her to the team based on her achievements this season, although she had to withdraw from Junior Nationals due to injury: http://fsrussia.ru/news/1128_radion...vystupyat-na-chempionate-mira-sredi-yuniorov/
    Ice dancers Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin withdrew due to illness.
  25. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

She did in 2003 though and was only 6th. I assume that's what sk9tingfan is referring to.
  26. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

We are talking about OGMs going to post-Olympics Worlds, no?
  27. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

For the record, I started the thread and put in both articles as they happened to be all I could find at the time regarding her change in status (I stumbled on the Russian article looking at something completely different). I wasn't presenting any particular opinion here, only surprise that this had happened.

Of course, I should have known it would have brought both reasonable discussion and of course the opposite (including continued excuses to either bash Adelina or other skaters certain posters are STILL PO'd about :rolleyes:), but what the hell, carry on...
  28. Skittl1321

Want to, and be able to are different things.
    She may have demands on her time that she did not anticipate.
  29. BlueRidge

Not to mention that she will have opportunities in the future to win a Worlds title.

In any case, we don't know if she is going or not according to Eislauffen's explanation. What I'm wondering is have any federations done this in the past, where they put in someone as an alternate so they can decide later if they will go? I don't recall it, but I may just have missed it.
  30. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I think the usual procedure is to enter somebody and then he can always withdraw if he changes his mind. Maybe the Russians did it that way just because it is not so likely that these skaters will go. Trankov said it is 50:50 that they will go, later he sounded more like 30:70 (more likely not going). Adelina and the pair had to handle a lot of attention and the shows, and they do not want to show up at Worlds in poor shape. So I think it is more likey they will not go, but the Federation left the door open for them.
  31. BlueRidge

It makes sense. Its tough competing after Olympics, so I kind of hope they don't go. There's so much demand on the time of Oly Gold medalists, they really can't concentrate on worlds the way their competitors can.
  32. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Sorry, you brought this on yourself with that thread title. You can't possibly expect to post a provocative thread title like that and get a rational discussion, especially where Adelina is involved.
  33. BlueRidge

Its actually the title of the article linked to at er.ru.sport "Olympic Champion Sotnikova Downgraded to Substitute for World Champs." It seems they were being provocative for some reason.

No one's going to post anything about Adelina right at the moment without it stirring up a bit of dust storm though.
  34. Nours

Nours Active Member

Well, I guess we should wait for the official starting list :)
    Anyway, she shouldn't be ashamed of skipping worlds.
  35. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

And they key is by being named a substitute, they will not run into the same issues Plushenko did in 2010 when he withdrew and skated in a show. This way, the skater and federation have left all options open. It is very difficult to keep the same training level between the Olympics and Worlds only a month later, particularly for the medal winners. If Adelina, V/T and S/S all feel that they are in competitive shape, they can enter. If not, they won't be penalized for skating in shows or getting much needed rest. There is no reason to think Sotnikova won't be back to skate next season. Sorry, for those who would dearly love to see her not do exactly that. :D

On a personal note, I do hope S/S can win one more World title before Robin calls it quits. I don't expect V/T to skate this Worlds and their future depends on injury management.
  36. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

I think it is smart for Sotnikova not to skate at Worlds. To lose there would have reinforced the suspicion that she won in Sochi because of bias. Time for the dust to settle. She can also take the time to improve by next season because all eyes will be on her.
  37. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Thanks for posting the links which were informative, timely and of interest to Adelina's fans and detractors. :)

Now, can anyone please tell me what is up with Dennis Ten? Is he skipping Worlds? If so, why?
    I think he had a good shot at winning another major medal.
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  38. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

D10 has withdrawn from Worlds, for good reason. he has had an extremely difficult year.
  39. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Sorry to hear that but thanks for the info.

Hope Dennis comes back healthy and strong for next season.
  40. Skittl1321

What individual medalists (in all disciplines) are attending?