Adam's new program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Mar 27, 2013.

1. angelflies

angelflies Member

Oh those pics are nice. He looks very stylish! I bet the program is too, hehe.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

The video is linked in this thread if you'd like to watch it.
  3. angelflies

angelflies Member

OK thanks I will watch it now!
  4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

You make good points generally, and I don't disagree with the gist of your views. However, I personally feel your statement about Tom "storming back to the limelight with Eleanor Rigby..." is completely beside the point. I personally do not think Tom had to "storm back," since he never went away. :p And I doubt Tom considers what he does for skaters as having anything at all to do with "being in or out of the limelight." In any case, it's not exactly clear what you mean by that phrasing. Perhaps you mean that Eleanor Rigby is a unique program that really stands out. In that respect, I think Tom might agree with you, since he stated in a recent interview (posted in GSD) that his favorite programs he’s choreographed for skaters are The Mission for Matt Savoie, the Brazilian long program for Ryan Jahnke, Eight Seasons for Jeremy Abbott, Picasso’s Dance short program for Yukina Ota, and Eleanor Rigby for Alex Johnson.

To me one of the more interesting factors in the success of Eleanor Rigby is that Tom is working as both coach and choreographer for Alex Johnson. That makes for a closer kind of connection and a daily give-and-take in developing a program. When Tom does choreography for skaters he is not coaching, a whole host of different factors and dynamics are involved. In Tom’s own words:

Here’s another link re that recent interview with Tom (already posted by Sylvia in GSD): http://everythingfigureskating.com/members/blog/2013/02/20/interview-with-tom-dickson/

From Tom’s comments throughout the interview, it seems no notion of “limelight” figures anywhere in either his personal or his professional life. He seems much more interested in helping skaters develop a balance between artistry and athleticism, with emphasis on the creative performance aspect. And even more so on helping skaters access the motivation needed to bring out who they are onto the ice in a soulful blend of movement and musical interpretation:

Bolded part is definitely true, and not silly to say at all, in my estimation. ;)

It boils back down to Faun for Adam being in an early debut stage, and he’s looking very comfortable with the program. It’ll be interesting to see how it evolves.
  5. Sylvia

aftershocks, maybe you could copy over your initial response to Jun Y above to the Dickson interview thread in GSD and continue the conversation there? (since that part has nothing to do with Rippon's new program)
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  6. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

All I can say is my hats off to aftershocks. You are able to wring meaning out of my words that never even occurred to me.
  7. Sylvia

:lol: Never mind my earlier post then.
  8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I think that audience response is another ingredient in that chemistry -- which is often highly influenced by how cleanly a skater performs the program, competition results, and availability on video.

Programs that very few people have ever seen are not going to become memorable programs for the ages, especially if no one else will ever get to see it again after the live performance because it was never captured on any recording medium.

Ditto for programs that were brilliant in conception, and in execution sometimes in practice or in lesser competitions, but that the skater completely bombed when the eyes and cameras of the world were on them.

Also, if a TV network including commentators in one country were rooting against a skater, fans from that skater might be influenced by the commentary to dislike the performance, whereas fans in another country with more sympathetic commentary might consider it a masterpiece.

And of course individual fans have personal preferences as well that might make them perceive mostly weaknesses in a performance they don't think should have beaten their favorites, or adore a program that's objectively nothing special artistically but that produced an exciting result with a strong performance at an important event.

As for my opinion of Rippon's program, I think it's very promising but I'll wait to see how it develops in terms of his expressing a point of view, a specific character for this particular faun on this particular afternoon, before declaring it a masterpiece.